Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Physical Therapist - Running

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Physical Therapist - Running

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey folks,

Sorry to make yet another thread asking for PT recommendations. I know there are a ton already. I've been in CT recovering from a badly broken ankle for the past seven months or so. Unfortunately, I did the same thing with a different ankle injury (other limb) last year. I'm almost ready to come back to CO and get back to work/climbing and the likes, but would like to have plans to see a PT first. Ideally, I'd like to get back to running at a high level - I ran in college and miss it a great deal. I am looking for a physical therapist to help get me back into running and help manage the inevitable aches and pains I'll have for the remainder of the year while I try to get it back. I need someone who will push me and who works with athletes. I will most likely be living in Golden and working in Denver.

If anybody has any strong recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate them. Thanks!

Re: Physical Therapist - Running

Postby tgangelhoff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Postby siop » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 pm

I saw Trinette at Denver PT and she was awesome. Several orthopedics told me to quit running but she understood that wasn't an option. I'm now running better than before my injury. Good luck!

http://www.denverphysicaltherapy.com/colorado-athletic-club
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby Patinator » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:39 am

I have also worked with Trinette for back issues and also thought she was great.

Post hip and shoulder surgeries (at different times), I went to Proaxis and was really impressed. I had to test out before being released and they pushed me further and faster than I would have been comfortable with doing. They were the old Howard Head company (via Vail Valley Medical) that was bought out by a South Carolina company. You would be in good hands with Brad or Danielle at Proaxis or Trinette at CAC.

http://www.proaxistherapy.com/

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 pm

tgangelhoff wrote:A little out of the way but worth it.
http://coloradospineandsport.com/custom_content/c_84973_jeremy_rodgers_dc_atc.html

I just wanted to thank you for recommending Jeremy at Colorado Spine & Sport. I have suffered chronic runner's knee since last August (Pikes Peak Ascent) and it has been killing me not to be running regularly. Jeremy diagnosed my problem and charted a course back to running health for me. In three weeks of therapy, my knee pain has gone from so bad it woke me up in the night to imperceptible. I am starting gentle runs today! I am very excited and happy to be whole again.

Jeremy is amazingly knowledgeable about the physiology, and he is an excellent adventure runner with great insights into running. I heartily recommend him for anyone with leg or back issues.

Postby mtn_nut » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:13 pm

I personally can't recommend any PT in denver, but i can say DO NOT go to Annie Fox in Thornton. i saw her to look at my shoulder, and had a terrible experience. during the 30 minutes i was in her office, she dry needled my muscles till they spasmed, slapped a couple electrodes on afterwards to "massage" it, and then sent me away with no stretching or aftercare instruction, saying i should come back and see her twice a week until the pain went away. she ended up billing my insurance $300 on top of my $40 co-pay and $20 fee for the dry needles. Its safe to assume i never went back.

after going to see a real doctor, i found out i had a torn labrum, with no muscle issues.

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:06 pm

mtn_nut wrote:she ended up billing my insurance $300 on top of my $40 co-pay and $20 fee for the dry needles.

Wow, that is about what four visits to Jeremy cost. I went to a different PT in August for four sessions but had no improvement. With Jeremy, I really saw the insights that a practicing athlete brings to the practice.

My initial visit included some tests, but most of the time in the other sessions was spent carefully showing me how to treat my injury and learning/doing stretches or special focused exercises. I went home loaded up with "homework".

I was very happy that cross training on a bike was a part of the therapy, since I was really not getting any cardio these days. I have actually grown fond of riding slightly muddy gravel roads. :-D

Postby zdero1 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Sorry you had a bad experience with your PT, Ted. I gotta say that I work with plenty of great PTs in the Denver Metro Area so hate em all!

Tyler I work in geriatrics, and I recommend you go to a clinic that specializes in sports medicine. Read some yelp reviews. I wish you all the best in your recovery, and I hope we can touch a summit or two together this year.

Postby tgangelhoff » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 pm

No problem Dave,
I agree, Jeremy is the most knowledgable therapist around. I wouldn't second guess going to him for any sports related injury. Knock on wood, I haven't seen him in a long time.
T

Postby schrund » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:02 pm

I've used Rick numerous times in the last 15 years, I recommend him highly and he is in Denver: http://www.rickolderman.com/
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby mtn_nut » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:11 pm

zdero1 wrote:Sorry you had a bad experience with your PT, Ted. I gotta say that I work with plenty of great PTs in the Denver Metro Area so hate em all!

I know there are plenty of good PTs out there and I've seen a good one in fort collins. I wasn't trying to hate on them, i was more warning about the one i saw in Thornton.