Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does anyone have any suggestions for high altitude panic

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Does anyone have any suggestions for high altitude panic

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

DeTour wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote: Still, logically, can't think of too much other than cracking, whoomfing, snow noises and axe and crampon sounds interacting with the snow that would be necessary to hear.

... but isn't that a big part of the appeal? I haven't climbed in winter, but as a Michigan Yooper, I know solitude in winter. The beauty isn't limited to visual. The air, the crunch of your steps, the bite of the cold ... no other living creature in the entire world you can see, but you're not alone. And you're certainly not lonely.

Come to think of it, most of the time all you hear is this hideous wind. Listen to any high altitude video.

Threw the gog's into the pack. Now I have to find a buff.

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:49 am

jdorje wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:In short: High winds carry positive ions, which make you feel bad, while moving water carries negative ions, which make you feel good.

Sounds like the solution is to hike during thunderstorms!

Ha! Hardly... the solution is to hike any time you can, and do what you can to mitigate the danger and misery. I summited in high winds yesterday, and it was *still* better than staying home!

Postby Jay521 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:02 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Ha! Hardly... the solution is to hike any time you can, and do what you can to mitigate the danger and misery. I summited in high winds yesterday, and it was *still* better than staying home!

I couldn't agree more - That is very close to something I have always believed - "A so-so day in the mountains is usually better than a good day anywhere else." Don't know where I read that, but it is SO true.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby TallGrass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Jay521 wrote:"A so-so day in the mountains is usually better than a good day anywhere else." Don't know where I read that, but it is SO true.
Yep, except for those times when the saying*, "It's better to be at home wishing you were on the mountain, than on the mountain wishing you were home," applies. :lol:

* Similar to "in the stands wishing you were on the race track..." and "on the runway wishing you were in the air..."
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Previous