Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

This is going to be a fun trip!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: This is going to be a fun trip!

Postby ameristrat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm

For some reason I was thinking March...
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby tommyboy360 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

herdbull wrote:Quite honestly one foot in front of the other up a nice trail is kinda boring. Now put on the trail runners and head up the trail and we're talking fun!
You're obviously excited about your trail runners. One of the best posts I've seen in awhile. This could be the new tag line for 14ers.com..

herdbull wrote:I've done Orizaba solo unguided and I'm currently planning my next trip to SA to climb Aconcagua solo and as unguided as I can be. Is that enough for you?
You sound like Gabe Walker. However, your rant against the "safety nazi" came off total gaper. If you lived here, you might be familiar with this classic line: "Must be nice... to be better than everyone else."

herdbull wrote:Do I need rope team training? Someday, maybe, but probably not. But just in case it's good to have in case you have to become a part of one to help others out. This is the whole reason why I tackle stuff on my own so I don't have to answer to anybody.
I love the logic here. So why are you looking for partners now?

Entertaining thread. I see a lot of "fun" potential here. btw: We're definitely going to get hammered for the next 8 weeks.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby Oman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Hey, look! It's Dick waving.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:29 pm

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby douglas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 pm

herdbull wrote: maybe my panties are up in a bundle

Agree

Postby herdbull » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 pm

herdbull wrote:Do I need rope team training? Someday, maybe, but probably not. But just in case it's good to have in case you have to become a part of one to help others out. This is the whole reason why I tackle stuff on my own so I don't have to answer to anybody.
I love the logic here. So why are you looking for partners now?

Entertaining thread. I see a lot of "fun" potential here. btw: We're definitely going to get hammered for the next 8 weeks.[/quote]

First off, sorry for somewhat going off on the safety comment. It just touched a nerve that's way deeper than climber a damn mtn. So I'm sorry for being a prissy little b!tch.

Why now you ask? Because next summer (2014) will probably be too late. Living 1200 miles and 20 hours from the mtns I have to sort of be an opportunist. Typically I head out there over the 4th of July. That's the very tail end of any decent snow in Jackson Hole, hence the Memorial Day trip so I can benefit from the training and be pushed hard in more difficult conditions.

Being pushed hard is why I choose 1:1 training. I told them to try and break me, that's just how I roll. Put yourself in the worst conditions possible and see how you react cause some day you will need it in this "hobby".

Coming off of Orizaba I helped a guide for a rope team pull ropes and even though I wasn't part of it I help carry gear off of the mtn. I saw the benefits of rope teams in certain situations and also knew that I have never done that and need to. The last thing I want is some guide in some foreign country pissed at me for not knowing something.

Postby seth0687 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 am

Herbull,

Shoot me an email of your trip dates, and I'll see if I can break free to get out with ya. People tend to get jumpy when you talk about super techy routes or unstable times of the year on this site...Lot of people prefer the easiest way to the top and some prefer the hardest way, both ways are only fun if you live to tell about it lol.

Best of luck,

Seth

Postby Dave B » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:14 am

herdbull wrote:So I'm sorry for being a prissy little b!tch.

lol

I wouldn't take it too seriously, mountaineering forums are legendary for their spray and it's usually not perceived all that well, I'd be lying if I said I'd never did it though.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby madbuck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 am

Previous