Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Unicycling

Items that do not fit the categories above.
User avatar
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby justiner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Scott has some pretty good reports on 14ers he's ridden up:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2011/08/24/altitude-binge-mountain-biking-14ers/

I'm a little perplexed at the report of unicycling up Grays/Torreys - not that I don't think it's possible, except that it may not be kosher legally. From memory, I do believe the summer trailhead sign does say, "no bikes" - or more basically, no mechanized/motorized vehicles and I'm not sure if I'm supportive of the idea of going against that. There's a lot of opportunities in doing similar things around the area - Mt. McClellan, Argentine Pass, etc - and other 14ers that are fair game: Evans (road) Pikes Peak (road/Barr Trail), Elbert, Antero, parts of the Decalbrion, etc
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

User avatar
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:10 pm
Location: Englewood

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby ameristrat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm

justiner wrote:Scott has some pretty good reports on 14ers he's ridden up:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2011/08/24/altitude-binge-mountain-biking-14ers/

I'm a little perplexed at the report of unicycling up Grays/Torreys - not that I don't think it's possible, except that it may not be kosher legally. From memory, I do believe the summer trailhead sign does say, "no bikes" - or more basically, no mechanized/motorized vehicles and I'm not sure if I'm supportive of the idea of going against that. There's a lot of opportunities in doing similar things around the area - Mt. McClellan, Argentine Pass, etc - and other 14ers that are fair game: Evans (road) Pikes Peak (road/Barr Trail), Elbert, Antero, parts of the Decalbrion, etc


Image

Justin, thanks for the link. Very cool.
Perhaps this summer I'll give Elbert, Antero, and/or the Decalibron a try. I've already done Evans years ago as a race. And Pikes Peak, many times in years past. Surprised this year to find a portion of the approach on some of the winter 14ers can be uniquely suited to biking, and hope to do more.

For anyone interested, I've implemented a bike logo (above) which can be placed at the beginning of a report for which a portion is done by bike. I put an example in my Lindsey and Baldy Alto reports from January. (You have to open the report to see it.) Bill, hope you're ok with this - just having fun with graphics - and don't have a damned thing else to do tonight. Yeah, I know, I need to get a life. Or a wife, one of the two.)

Anyway, bikey's, feel free copy it and use it in your reports. Right click on the logo, go to properties, then copy the URL, paste it into the report, highlight it, and click on "image" in the TR page.




Jim

User avatar
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby TallGrass » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Here's the new bike icon. Use it to designate any 14ers for which you've biked at least 25% of the route. Image


Too many wheels. :)

Image Image Image Image
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Too many wheels. :)


Disability accomodations for us mortals that need an extra wheel out front. :-D

User avatar
Posts: 2046
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Edwards (Singletree), CO

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby gdthomas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am

ameristrat wrote:I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.


Is this you?

http://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-ridge-riding-084000429.html

User avatar
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:10 pm
Location: Englewood

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby ameristrat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 pm

gdthomas wrote:
ameristrat wrote:I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.


Is this you?

http://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-ridge-riding-084000429.html


That's intense!!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests