Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Unicycling

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mountain Unicycling

Postby justiner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 pm

Scott has some pretty good reports on 14ers he's ridden up:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2011/08/24/altitude-binge-mountain-biking-14ers/

I'm a little perplexed at the report of unicycling up Grays/Torreys - not that I don't think it's possible, except that it may not be kosher legally. From memory, I do believe the summer trailhead sign does say, "no bikes" - or more basically, no mechanized/motorized vehicles and I'm not sure if I'm supportive of the idea of going against that. There's a lot of opportunities in doing similar things around the area - Mt. McClellan, Argentine Pass, etc - and other 14ers that are fair game: Evans (road) Pikes Peak (road/Barr Trail), Elbert, Antero, parts of the Decalbrion, etc
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby ameristrat » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm

justiner wrote:Scott has some pretty good reports on 14ers he's ridden up:

http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2011/08/24/altitude-binge-mountain-biking-14ers/

I'm a little perplexed at the report of unicycling up Grays/Torreys - not that I don't think it's possible, except that it may not be kosher legally. From memory, I do believe the summer trailhead sign does say, "no bikes" - or more basically, no mechanized/motorized vehicles and I'm not sure if I'm supportive of the idea of going against that. There's a lot of opportunities in doing similar things around the area - Mt. McClellan, Argentine Pass, etc - and other 14ers that are fair game: Evans (road) Pikes Peak (road/Barr Trail), Elbert, Antero, parts of the Decalbrion, etc

Justin, thanks for the link. Very cool.
Perhaps this summer I'll give Elbert, Antero, and/or the Decalibron a try. I've already done Evans years ago as a race. And Pikes Peak, many times in years past. Surprised this year to find a portion of the approach on some of the winter 14ers can be uniquely suited to biking, and hope to do more.

For anyone interested, I've implemented a bike logo (above) which can be placed at the beginning of a report for which a portion is done by bike. I put an example in my Lindsey and Baldy Alto reports from January. (You have to open the report to see it.) Bill, hope you're ok with this - just having fun with graphics - and don't have a damned thing else to do tonight. Yeah, I know, I need to get a life. Or a wife, one of the two.)

Anyway, bikey's, feel free copy it and use it in your reports. Right click on the logo, go to properties, then copy the URL, paste it into the report, highlight it, and click on "image" in the TR page.

Jim

Postby TallGrass » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Here's the new bike icon. Use it to designate any 14ers for which you've biked at least 25% of the route. Image

Too many wheels. :)

Image Image Image Image
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Too many wheels. :)

Disability accomodations for us mortals that need an extra wheel out front. :-D

Postby gdthomas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am

ameristrat wrote:I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.

Is this you?

http://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-ridge-riding-084000429.html

Postby ameristrat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 pm

gdthomas wrote:
ameristrat wrote:I biked the knife edge on Capitol once. No one saw it of course - such is how it goes for such impossible feats.

Is this you?

http://screen.yahoo.com/motorcycle-ridge-riding-084000429.html

That's intense!!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Previous