Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Explore the Grand Canyon via Google Streetview...

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Explore the Grand Canyon via Google Streetview...

Postby Guitarzan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:03 pm

This is pretty cool............

Wish they could do this for all the 14er's or better yet any of the 8000 meter peaks.

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/gallery/grand-canyon/
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

Re: Explore the Grand Canyon via Google Streetview...

Postby AjaPuppy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 pm

I want to know how I get that job...
There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.

" If there was a list of issues that our country needed to address right now, ordered by importance, gay marriage would be on the bottom of page 6 right after: Are we eating too much garlic as a people?"--Lewis Black

Postby TehWoopig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

AjaPuppy wrote:I want to know how I get that job...

I think it is all volunteer.

Postby MonGoose » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:16 am

I have mixed feelings about this technology. On one hand, I think it's a great scientific accomplishment and will be used in the future to observe how the Grand Canyon changes over time. It also allows people who are not able to visit the canyon, whether physically incapable or geographically unable, to experience this amazing national treasure. The additional exposure of the Canyon will lead to greater efforts for its preservation. On the other hand, having the entire trail system available as an interactive experience might take away from the actual experience of exploring the trail for yourself. People may believe that browsing the trail on their High Def television from the comfort of their living room is just as rewarding as actually visiting.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 am

MonGoose wrote:I have mixed feelings about this technology. On one hand, I think it's a great scientific accomplishment and will be used in the future to observe how the Grand Canyon changes over time. It also allows people who are not able to visit the canyon, whether physically incapable or geographically unable, to experience this amazing national treasure. The additional exposure of the Canyon will lead to greater efforts for its preservation. On the other hand, having the entire trail system available as an interactive experience might take away from the actual experience of exploring the trail for yourself. People may believe that browsing the trail on their High Def television from the comfort of their living room is just as rewarding as actually visiting.

what are you talking about? this is the best idea ever, we need this for bike trails too. Maybe then people will have their virtual experience and keep the trails free for the people who ride and hike them everyday :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Dex » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm

MonGoose wrote: On the other hand, having the entire trail system available as an interactive experience might take away from the actual experience of exploring the trail for yourself.

I agree with you. It could take away the surprise or wow of the first time, first hand experience.

What book had movies called 'Feelies' - while watching a movie the person was hooked into something that transmitted all the sensory aspects of the movie to the viewer.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby AjaPuppy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

TehWoopig wrote:
AjaPuppy wrote:I want to know how I get that job...

I think it is all volunteer.

I was being facetious.

MonGoose wrote:I have mixed feelings about this technology. On one hand, I think it's a great scientific accomplishment and will be used in the future to observe how the Grand Canyon changes over time. It also allows people who are not able to visit the canyon, whether physically incapable or geographically unable, to experience this amazing national treasure. The additional exposure of the Canyon will lead to greater efforts for its preservation. On the other hand, having the entire trail system available as an interactive experience might take away from the actual experience of exploring the trail for yourself. People may believe that browsing the trail on their High Def television from the comfort of their living room is just as rewarding as actually visiting.

Maybe, but couldn't you make the same argument about photographs?