Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

unsure if I should even post this....

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: unsure if I should even post this....

Postby justiner » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:12 pm

evaunitross wrote:Justiner, hon...I know its illegal. That isn't the point of this post. Smoking pot outside anywhere is illegal. Crossing the street diagonally across an intersection is also illegal. Lets see if you can find a denver post article on that. ;)

OK, so we're on the same page about that. And I agree with you with the opinion that we all break rules. I'd take it a step further and say that's impossible that we can't all follow every rule, all the time.

But I don't have much sympathy, if you're caught breaking a rule, and someone's pissed off at you. And that was your initial question: were they out of line? My opinion may be that they're not.

Let's take your jaywalking example, whoever bizarre that is to use: say someone jaywalks, and almost gets hit by a car. Is the driver of the car in the right to tell this person, loudly, and with flowerly language, how much they do not appreciate them jaywalking?

The best thing may be, if you do not like rules, is to make a case to change them. Some rules are good ideas though. For a place like The Boulder Mountain Parks, rules are in place so all that want to, may enjoy it. It's a busy place, near a city. Perhaps a strict ban on smoking, fires, etc, is a good idea, no matter if you do not agree, and no matter if you decide to break it - the whole extended area is in the midst of a pretty bad drought. I'm not looking forward to having a front seat on the s**t is on Fire Show.
Last edited by justiner on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby JB99 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 pm

mts4602 wrote:I can't believe this thread just started today

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby YooperJonKornely » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

All Dude wanted to do was tie his room back together...
Attachments
Lebowski-Tub-Smoking-a-Joint.jpg
Lebowski-Tub-Smoking-a-Joint.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 683 times

Postby midwestcoast » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:19 pm

justiner wrote:
evaunitross wrote:Justiner, hon...I know its illegal. That isn't the point of this post. Smoking pot outside anywhere is illegal. Crossing the street diagonally across an intersection is also illegal. Lets see if you can find a denver post article on that. ;)

OK, so we're on the same page about that. And I agree with you with the opinion that we all break rules. I'd take it a step further and say that's impossible that we all can't follow all the rules, all the time.

But I don't have much sympathy, if you're caught breaking a rule, and someone's pissed off at you. And that was your initial question: were they out of line? My opinion may be that they're not.

Let's take your jaywalking example, whoever bizarre that is to use: say someone jaywalks, and almost gets hit by a car. Is the driver of the car in the right to tell this person, loudly, and with flowerly language, how much they do not appreciate them jaywalking?

The best thing may be, if you do not like rules, is to make a case to change them. Some rules are good ideas though. For a place like The Boulder Mountain Parks, rules are in place so all that want to, may enjoy it. It's a busy place, near a city. Perhaps a strict ban on smoking, fires, etc, is a good idea, no matter if you do not agree, and no matter if you decide to break it - the whole extended area is in the midst of a pretty bad drought. I'm not looking forward to having a front seat on the s**t is on Fire Show.

This is unacceptable due to your use of logic and empathetic reasoning. I move that you be banned from the internet.

Postby GeezerClimber » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 pm

I smoked pot and cigarettes when I was young and stupid. Couldn't care less if people smoke. Some of my friends smoke both.

But..............No one should be forced to inhale it due to inconsideration of the smoker. If I can smell it, it is entering my lungs. The amount may be miniscule, but that's not the point. I should be the one who decides if it enters my body. Therefore, smoking pot is not the same as drinking in pubic. Drinkers don't force alcohol into others bodies.

By his own confession, the OP was caught by someone close enough to smell it and get angry. He did not take enough care about being sure no one else would share his pollution. The woman was justifiably angry. Was her response over the top? Perhaps. We only have one side of the story. After reading the OP's posts, I would not put it past him to get surly and arrogant if the woman gently suggested he take it somewhere else.

Last point: By definition, "fresh air" does not include pot smoke.

Dave

Postby winmag4582001 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:14 pm

I could care less about what anybody does at 14k'. Smoke weed, drag a keg up there, hump, do whatever. It's already been done before. The cool factor is gone.
Now if anybody has a bag of coca leaves in thier backpack and wants to share, by all means, offer and I'd gladly accept. :lol:
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby bonehead » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:22 pm

evaunitross

Is that you Deuce?
Welcome Back!

Postby DeTour » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 pm

I had something really profound to post to this thread but I forgot what it was.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby Paula » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:45 pm

30 foot offtrail offleash dog gets all the Boulder ladies.
rastadog.jpg
rastadog.jpg (240.88 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Postby taylorzs » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 am

This is great! =D> This needs to go into the hall of fame once it starts to wind down. I just lost 45 minutes of my life reading this thread, :-D For the record, I am pro pot. If you catch a whiff on rare occasion, is it really a big deal? I get a whiff of my climbing partners farts on a regular basis (and I try to dish it out too). I walk in between classes and get cigarette smoke in my face pretty much every time I walk through campus. I do not like cigarrette smoke, but whatever. This is a little thing, it is not like I am stuck in a confined space with people blowing cigarrette smoke in my face. I get a faint whiff of plenty of things that do not smell great on a regular basis. This is a part of living around other people. I know I do not smell like roses myself all the time. My body odor certainly gets 'enjoyed' by others. NO BIG DEAL. Who cares whether you smell pot on occasion hiking up a trail? C'mon...If the story told was true, the woman overreacted dramatically and probably needs to take a couple bong hits to chill out. :yawn: But really...this thread has quality, must say I am enjoying it and can't wait to see where it goes from here......
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby MountainMedic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 am

Wow, this thread deteriorated prior to being conceived. Perhaps we should take some of the money involved in marijuana legislation and use it to teach Evaunitross and pills2619 English. In their defense, it is supposedly a fairly challenging language.

I don't think this is really a very complicated question. If you want to enjoy a little THC every now and then and it has zero effects on those who enjoy the great outdoors you love as well, great. Go for it. If your Lebowskian hobby interferes with other people's experience, then you're being inconsiderate and should lay off. Respect your fellow hiker/climber. Anybody who takes on this holier than thou "pot is natural and I understand the outdoors better because I smoke it" OR "pot is ungodly and the great outdoors should only be enjoyed with a clear mind" attitude is entitled to their opinion, but should keep it to his or her self.

Overall, I would fall in the anti-pot-outdoors camp for one reason: safety. Every time we head out to the mountains, we take a risk. On the summit of the last 14er I climbed, some of us "Brat Pack" folks ran into a group of three or so sans helmets coming up Snowmass. A number of us lambasted them for it. If we were to send rocks down, our actions might have very different results on those wearing helmets versus those dumb enough not to. Pot's potentially the same thing. You share the mountain with other climbers, and your decisions affect them. I'm not saying people here are dumb enough to get high on loose class 3/4, but based on their knowledge of punctuation, they just might be.

Postby klinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 am

Me and the cat do fat bong rips before we rap the diamond, jus sayin.

PreviousNext