Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

unsure if I should even post this....

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: unsure if I should even post this....

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Fair enough
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby ameristrat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:evaunitross, what did you think would happen when you posted this? Did you expect everyone to sympathize with you say "sure smoke up wherever you want on the trail" because if so, you're delusional.

Also, saying "I promise I'll try very hard not to start a fire" are famous last words of a redneck before he starts a fire.

If you do smoke, it better be damn far away from the trail. Way more than 30 ft (can't remember what idiot suggested that, but I think it was pills). You also shouldn't do it on any sort of technical route in which you're altered state would affect the safety of others.

Seconded.

If you have to ask if doing something in the outdoors is going to ruin the experience for others, that's probably a good indication that you shouldn't do it. Have you ever come upon a camp site littered with cans and trash? If you like to smoke, fine - do it where no one will have a problem with it, and no one will have a problem with you doing it.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby I fall a lot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:Lastly, this thread is not even close to HoF worthy.

too much civility.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:10 pm

I got through my younger years by “If you can’t be good, be careful.” So, if you want to have a toke in the outdoors, at least hide a bit. Don’t be where someone is going to walk up on you.

I don’t smoke. I really detest tobacco smoke. Although I don’t mind walking through a cloud of pot, I can understand someone having a problem with it. Also even though a majority of Colorado voters passed amendment 64, several layers of authorities will do their best to ignore the voter’s wishes. So it's best to still be careful.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby DaveSwink » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Bean wrote:Wrong. The actual quote is "hold my beer."

Or "hold my doobie" in this instance? :-D

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 pm

MountainMedic wrote: [...]interferes with other people's experience, then you're being inconsiderate and should lay off. Respect your fellow hiker/climber. Anybody who takes on this holier than thou [...] attitude is entitled to their opinion, but should keep it to his or her self.

On the summit of the last 14er I climbed, some of us "Brat Pack" folks ran into a group of three or so sans helmets coming up Snowmass. A number of us lambasted them for it. If we were to send rocks down, our actions might have very different results on those wearing helmets versus those dumb enough not to. Pot's potentially the same thing. You share the mountain with other climbers, and your decisions affect them. .

Ill take a clear well thought out and consistent thought lacking apostrophes and commas over one with perfect punctuation but glaring contradictions any day
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby iholdthepain » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:31 pm

I vape pot daily, but would never take it on a mountain by the unlikely, yet possible fire hazard or safety issues if climbing.

I vote HoF based on the PM busts alone... This is no Lucky/Missy pissing match, but as a long time lurker, I rarely post, but I must chime in here.

Peace.

Postby BeastoftheEast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Kudos to the OP. I roll solo. And I love getting high on the peaks.

In fact, I choose alternative routes (like Brown's Creek to Antero; the Cosgriff/SE Ridge on Elbert; the Montgomery Reservoir approach for Decalibron) so I can bake in private. My 11th essential is an ash tin. If any other human is in sight or earshot, I refrain. Thus I've never fired up on the summit of a 14er, yet there's plenty of empty space atop 13's, 12's, 11's, etc. In a couple weeks last summer I bagged 27 peaks at a moderate pace, and only two of them were 14ers.

Catch my drift? :twisted:

Being from the East, though, I particularly enjoy toking good green weed under cover of the forest canopy. I often bushwhack, so neither privacy nor potential harm to the health of others is a concern. I usually keep a mellow buzz, but occasionally push the envelope—just blast a hit so deep and heavy that I practically pass out. Last spring, while thru-hiking a short long-distance trail, surrounded for miles by only trees, lakes, streams and wildlife, I huffed down such an intense hit that I actually fainted by a creek. It was awesome—kind of like when as a kid I used to hyperventilate and have my buddy give me a bear hug until I went limp in his arms and fell to the ground. It was better than sniffing glue. You come to without any frame of reference. You don't what time it is, what day it is, where you are, or even who you are. :?

Similarly, yet irrespective of weed, I like to cruise into the Eastern woods, just run my ass off for a few miles, and get so deeply into the forest, the natural world, that I forget where I am. You're not sure if these trees are in Maine, or Vermont, or New Hampshire, or the Adirondacks. What range am I in, you ask yourself. It's an incredibly liberating feeling.

And then, after a few moments, whether stoned or sober, I snap back to reality, cross-reference the map buried in my pack if need be, dial in my internal compass, remind myself of where I am, and finish the hike.

Yes, I'm a fan of Timothy Leary, and no, I've never needed a rescue. All's well that ends well. :-D
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Whack-a-troll!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Previous