Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:18 am

summer 14er goals...finish the remaining 41 on my list! most likely not gonna happen unless weather, schedule and my work ethic all align perfectly, but I do have 5 goals that id like to think are reasonable

1) crestones + humboldt
2) Snowmass
3) San Luis Peak
4) Chicago Basin
5) Harvard-Columbia

I really want to do some multi day trips this year...I missed out on a chicago basin trip last summer for a dumb reason. I plan on taking a week and just driving around and car camping, trying to hike as many peaks as possible. Pretty stoked for it this year, its looking like my summer is gonna be wide open, so hopefully ill get a lot of new peaks

Postby ChrisinAZ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:20 am

Essentially: to finish.

June: Lindsey + NW Lindsey, hopefully Sneffels SW ridge and S Wilson (this pair in August if not)
July: I'm out of the state. Hopefully several northern Ultras and finishing off the AZ county highpoints
August: E La Plata via Ellingwood Ridge, N Snowmass via the S ridge. W Evans tacked onto one of those trips
September: any of those trips I haven't gotten done yet
September or October: Holy Cross, Halo Ridge

This would be much easier to pull off if it weren't for my way-too-short summer break and uncertain schedule. Hopefully June snow levels will be low so I can do more of these sooner.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby dpage » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 am

1. El Diente-Wilson traverse 2. Little Bear (which route should I take?) 3. A week in the Aspen area for the Bells group 4. Snowmass (again I need to decide which route??) 5. Capital 6. Picking which one of the above should be last...knowing that my wife, Karin and I have climbed all of these things so far side by side! 7. Random snow climbs and scrambling routes in RMNP. That list for climbing the named points/peaks in the park are going to take me longer than these 14ers have so far.

Postby mtgirl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:04 am

My plan is to FINALLY finish up the 14ers. It's been a slow process for me because I enjoy a lot of other outdoor activities (not to mention I enjoy the solitude on the 13ers). I have four 14ers left:

Snowmass (late May/early June)
Little Bear (hopefully it's in shape for a snow climb up the hourglass this year)
S. Maroon
Capitol (if all works out well, this will be my finisher)

My other goal (not climbing/hiking related) is to place in the top 15 in my category at the Women's CO State Cross Country Mountain Biking Championship and qualify for Nationals. Lots of mountain biking endurance races planned this summer. Too many hobbies, too little time. :-D

Good luck to everyone on their goals.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 am

I'm still waiting on winter to show up. I don't have a certain list or dates. But as many as I can with as many 13ers also. I'd like to finish the Juan's and Sangres.

Postby Fisching » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

geojed wrote:Of course I have a couple of BIG DAYS in the works and one DAY OF INSANITY planned. :wink:

I don't know what entails a GeoJed Day of Insanity™ (is that trademarked?!?! It should be), but the idea alone scares me.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 am

✔ Looking towards all 73 checkmarks.
✔ Getting #59 so SurfNTurf will consider me a formal finisher.
✔ Rainier this summer.
✔ Supporting friends on their quest to finish.
✔ Maybe hitting up some of the lower peaks, work towards a Centennials list.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 am

EatinHardtack wrote:I'm still waiting on winter to show up. I don't have a certain list or dates. But as many as I can with as many 13ers also. I'd like to finish the Juan's and Sangres.

yea, hopefully the rest of FEB/MAR delivers lots of pow and we have good spring descent conditions. Love spring, looking forward to skiing and mountain biking in the same day.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby IkeB » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:37 am

Try and finish them. At very least capital is a must though.

Postby Rambler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Coming from Kansas I'm trying to get 3 trips in this year

1. Decalibration sometime in the April/May/June range since I can't wait much longer to get out there (trip not planned yet)

2. Estes Park July 15-20th. Hoping to hike to Black Lake via Glacier Gorge for a warm up then Longs (first class 3) as weather allows

3. Aug 1st-3rd Taking a few buddies to Willow Lake to camp where I'll try to get Challenger/Kit Carson

I should just move there already.....

Postby chrismjx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm planning on doing a Missouri-Belford-Oxford trip from the Pine Creek side, possibly Columbia and Harvard as well. I'd like to open up the Sangres and San Juans too (haven't climbed any there) this season, but we'll see how things pan out...

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 pm

I would also like to do Tour de Massive at some point... and aside from 14ers I'd like to do Mummy Mania and Mount Meeker.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

PreviousNext