Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

50 miler for my scouts?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

50 miler for my scouts?

Postby summitbound » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm

I am looking for some suggestions for a good 50miler backpacking trip to take my scout troop on next summer/fall. I have 2 good suggestions from a climbing buddy of mine:

-Segments 1-4 of the Colorado trail
-4 pass loop with a side trips to Willow lake and possibly one other.

Just wondering if anyone else has other ideas or suggestions to toss into the mix. I want to stay in CO. We are located in in the metro area and the 4 pass TH is about as far as I want to travel.
txs
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Re: 50 miler for my scouts?

Postby rijaca » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

LCW
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Scott P » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Outside the Weminuche (which you are indicating is too far for you), the Flat Tops Wilderness is next the largest in Colorado and is about the same distance from you as the Four Pass Loop. There are several 50 mile options in the Flat Tops and which ones are best probably depend on whether you are looking at a loop hike or have a car shuttle.

Of course the Four Pass Loop would be really scenic as well.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby sector9nia » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 pm

a few years ago with my troop 200 we did an 8 day-47 mile trip in flat tops wilderness with a total of two refuel meetings. decently hard for nothing less than first-class scouts (with a total of three multi-day prep trips including LC Wilderness)

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:41 pm

You can make some really fun long routes in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, such as the one in this TR:
http://antonkrupicka.blogspot.com/2010/08/alpine-binge.html

Of course, you can take more than 8 hours to do it. :wink:

If you haven't been there, the IPW has some of the most dramatic scenery in all of Colorado.
Last edited by Tory Wells on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 pm

4 Pass loop is an awesome idea. I'd recommend a side trip to Siberia Lake if your group is up for it. Awesome place
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:54 pm

The IPW might be tough due to camping restrictions on the east side of the divide, but maybe not, that's a cool looking loop nevertheless. 8 hours is alright for that, I guess.

Does it have to be 50 miles? I know a great 47 mile loop, although I suppose you could back track the last mile and a half and then just turn around.

Postby dehrlich101 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Colorado Trail!! I did a 50 miler when I was a scout on the CT and that is one trip I'll never forget about, truly a cool experience. Make sure you have them start very early in the morning for Segment 2 because there is no shade or water sources until a few miles into Segment 3. Other than segment 2 there is a lot of water and good camping sights along the trail, as well as access for vehicle support if you're planning on getting restocked after a couple of days.

Also bring a snake bite kit along, Segment 2 has a lot of rattlesnakes.

Here is my report from Segments 1 - 3, if you have any questions about 4 feel free to send me a PM.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11753&parmuser=dehrlich101&cpgm=tripuser
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby summitbound » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! Lots to think about..

SchralpTheGnar wrote:The IPW might be tough due to camping restrictions on the east side of the divide, but maybe not, that's a cool looking loop nevertheless. 8 hours is alright for that, I guess.

Does it have to be 50 miles? I know a great 47 mile loop, although I suppose you could back track the last mile and a half and then just turn around.

They have a 50miler patch they can earn so if they are going 47 miles I'd hate to have them miss it by 3 miles. I'd still love to see the 47 mile loop.

dehrlich101 wrote:Here is my report from Segments 1 - 3, if you have any questions about 4 feel free to send me a PM.

Txs nice TR, I will be sending PM shortly :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am

summitbound wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! Lots to think about..

SchralpTheGnar wrote:The IPW might be tough due to camping restrictions on the east side of the divide, but maybe not, that's a cool looking loop nevertheless. 8 hours is alright for that, I guess.

They have a 50miler patch they can earn so if they are going 47 miles I'd hate to have them miss it by 3 miles. I'd still love to see the 47 mile loop.

There are plenty of side trips to make it 50 miles or more, no problem.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 pm

My son's troop counted 1000 feet of elevation gain as a mile when computing hike lengths. You might look into this, as it levels the playing field versus the flatlanders. :)

The 50-milers they did in Colorado were:
1. Colorado Trail from Tennessee Pass to Halfmoon Creek, with a side trip up Massive.
2. The Elk Creek-Chicago Basin-Needleton loop, with two climbing days.
3. A loop starting out crossing Music Pass east-to-west, down Sand Creek to the Sand Ramp Trail in the Sand Dunes, up Medano Pass, and back on the Rainbow Trail.
4. The Ring The Peak trail, which has a gap in it but can be hiked one-way for about 50 miles.

The Four Pass Loop is great, but you'll have to scrounge for extra miles. Ricky's LCW suggestion is a good one, as it's close, beautiful, and has many ways that you could put together a good loop with some summit days.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:01 pm

My son's troop counted 1000 feet of elevation gain as a mile when computing hike lengths. You might look into this, as it levels the playing field versus the flatlanders.

That was the official rule all of when I was a scout, worked for the BSA as a backpacking guide, and was a scout leader. I'm guessing that it still is.

Where I lived, Mount Timpanogos (Utah), for example, was (and almost surely still is) the most popular "20 miler" for scout troops earning their hiking merit badge because it was 16 miles round trip and had over 4000 feet elevation gain. Of course those kind of things didn't mean that I never tried to talk the scouts into hiking extra miles before signing them off on their badges. :wink:
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Next