Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Off topic: engagement hike

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Off topic: engagement hike

Postby Theodore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

MonGoose wrote:
spiderman wrote:I highly recommend somewhere next to a couple thousand foot-high cliff, with a deep chasm located immediately below. It makes it much simpler of a choice for the lucky lady. Worked well for me 13 years ago...

You threatened your wife into marrying you?

I joke that I drug her up a mountain so she was tired and hypoxic so she wouldn't think straight. That and she'd need me to get down and back to civilization. :D (yes I know a blind person could find their way down Elbert)

Postby Billy the Kid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

davebks wrote:I just did it at the Tennessee Pass Cookhouse near Leadville and it was one of the best nights of my life. Honestly, I would do it there everyday if I could experience that night over and over again.

+1 on the Tennessee Pass Cookhouse. My wife and I went there is past winter and loved it...I think it would be a perfect setting for your friend's needs! Below is the link for it...good luck!!

http://www.tennesseepass.com/the-cookhouse/
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby geojed » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm

spiderman wrote:I highly recommend somewhere next to a couple thousand foot-high cliff, with a deep chasm located immediately below. It makes it much simpler of a choice for the lucky lady. Worked well for me 13 years ago...

Worked well for me too....
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Monte Meals » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Flagstaff Mountain in Boulder.

You can drive to the top,

Propose,

And within a short hike (uhuhm) consummate
the agreement.

Postby spiderman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:35 am

peter303 wrote:
MonGoose wrote:You threatened your wife into marrying you?

Said he'd jump if she did not! :wink:

1) Why would I jump if she was the one who said No?

2) My 11-year old son is the Spiderman for the ability to sprint up vertical sections of a mountain. My nom de guerre is 2Big. I have no idea why spiderman gave me this handle... but I don't think that it would have been a pretty sight if I had jumped off a cliff.

3) Sleep deprivation is a good way to reduce her chance of a well-reasoned, and undesired response to your proposition. I highly recommend starting the hike at midnight and reaching a peak at dawn so that she has been awake for 24+ hours. Try to spin this logic as being romantic. They tend to believe such mumbo jumbo. As mentioned, hypoxia also could be a useful component in your strategy. Altitudes above 5000m though is much more effective though than anything you could find in this state. A romantic trip to the Andes could be perfect this time of the year.
Attachments
Huashen.jpg
Huashen, China
Huashen.jpg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 465 times

Postby mrburns » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Billy the Kid wrote:
davebks wrote:I just did it at the Tennessee Pass Cookhouse near Leadville and it was one of the best nights of my life. Honestly, I would do it there everyday if I could experience that night over and over again.

+1 on the Tennessee Pass Cookhouse. My wife and I went there is past winter and loved it...I think it would be a perfect setting for your friend's needs! Below is the link for it...good luck!!

Wow, great minds must think alike! :-D

I went the Cookhouse route as well, but we went for lunch instead of dinner. We went up in the morning and rented cross country skis, (which neither of us is very good at!) went for a tour and I proposed right before lunch. Then we sat on the deck, had lunch and champagne, enjoyed the view of Massive, great time.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby Billy the Kid » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm

mrburns wrote:
Billy the Kid wrote:

Wow, great minds must think alike! :-D

I went the Cookhouse route as well, but we went for lunch instead of dinner. We went up in the morning and rented cross country skis, (which neither of us is very good at!) went for a tour and I proposed right before lunch. Then we sat on the deck, had lunch and champagne, enjoyed the view of Massive, great time.

For sure! I actually proposed to my wife on the Royal Gorge Dinner Train, right below the bridge. If I knew then what I know now, I would have proposed at the Cookhouse as well!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott

Postby ironman11 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:10 am

Can't give you any ideas on a place but you can use my idea. When I propose next winter I am going to bring my tux to the trail head in the car. I will then go into the bathroom and change into the tux with my ski clothes over top. I plan for us to cc ski to the top of a ridge that overlooks the Apps and then stop for lunch. Come up with some excuse to walk away, strip the ski clothes, and come back in the tux! Bam!

Postby pvnisher » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 am

Skiing up a ridge in a tux and regular clothes? You'll be a sweaty mess!
Better get some pitzips installed in your tux.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:16 am

This topic was discussed back in 2009.

Most Romantic Peaks to Propose

I still like my response - apparently it was my 666th post :-D

There are actually some pretty good suggestions in the rest of that thread, though...

Postby Theodore » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:47 am

susanjoypaul wrote:This topic was discussed back in 2009.

Most Romantic Peaks to Propose

I still like my response - apparently it was my 666th post :-D

There are actually some pretty good suggestions in the rest of that thread, though...

:lol: That's a great post.

Postby Chipper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

I just wouldn't propose on a tall peak. Like many others, I would do it outdoors in a beautiful breathtaking setting ... but nearer a restaurant, hot springs (Susan), hotel ... fun area. If I had proposed to my wife on a peak, after the 4 hour (6 in winter?) hike back down to the car, she would have said: So this is what marriage to you will be like ... I've changed my mind."
We make no greater mistake than when we do nothing, because we could only do a little.

Previous