Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quad Rock 25/50

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Quad Rock 25/50

Postby Ridge runner » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:34 am

I know many of you climbing addicts also cross over into the realms of ultra running, so I want to pass along that registration is now open for the Quad Rock 25 and 50 miles runs. It takes place May 11 in the foothills just west of Fort Collins. The sadistic minds of Nick Clark and Pete Stevenson designed the course to give you 5500' of elevation gain for the 25 mile race and 11,000' of gain for the 50 mile race. It's a pretty tough course and you'll likely promise yourself you'll never do one of these again... until a week later when you decide it wasn't so bad and now you have to sign up for another. :wink:

Hope to see some of you out there!

http://gnarrunners.com/quad-rock-50/

Re: Quad Rock 25/50

Postby siop » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:50 am

I'll be at Quad Rock for the 50.

Also Nick Clark's Chubby Cheeks "race" is this Saturday up in the Fort for anyone interested.
http://www.irunmountains.blogspot.com/2012/11/cheeks.html
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby madbuck » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Bump, cuz it's a great race. I'll either run or volunteer.

Honestly, if you're looking at something like the Leadville marathon or PPM, doing the 25M would put you in great training shape. The 50M is perfect prep for summer/Fall 100's, coming at a time of year when dry high-country trails are still at a premium.
Either way, it's a great course, great scene, great RD's and friendly runners of all abilities, prizes, food, beer, music, and impeccable course markings.

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 pm

I don't see myself being in shape for a 50 miler ever again but I notice the 25 has no cutoff times.
Very tempting to make a trip to Ft. Fun for this one. I take it this is pretty much the course the Blue Sky Marathon was on?
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby madbuck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 am

cheeseburglar wrote:I don't see myself being in shape for a 50 miler ever again but I notice the 25 has no cutoff times.

Good points: I don't think the 25M has its own cutoff separate from the 50M, last year a few folks finished together around 8 hours, so the 25M allows for mostly hiking 20min miles if you want. Since the 50M is still open for hours, the aid stations will still be lively and well-stocked. Run even some of the course and you'll be well under that, and able to spectate the 50M finishers while drinking beer.

cheeseburglar wrote:I take it this is pretty much the course the Blue Sky Marathon was on?

Even better, only a few miles are shared with Blue Sky (the Towers road climb and part of the subsequent descent) -- instead, the route is localized to the county Horsetooth Mountain Park and Lory State Park, comprising the best trails of both parks. Part of the reason for the name is that you'll climb to the base of both Horsetooth Rock and Arthur's Rock in the 25M (twice each, in the 50M). If you don't live here and haven't been on all the trails, it's a cool way to see everything!