Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Fisching wrote:I bet Iman86 will have some advice for your friend. He's an expert.

His advice is solid and sound.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby MonGoose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:54 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:As a mother of two boys, I can tell you that the more you try to dissuade him, the greater his resolve will grow to prove you wrong. I would encourage him emphatically to follow through with his plans.

In fact, you should involve yourself as much as possible. Start asking him questions, like:

1) How many .....

These are valid questions, not scare tactics. And this is Sales 101: You can't make people do something they don't want to do, or make them not do something they want to do. You just have to ask them the right questions to come to the right conclusion - yours.

Okay! Okay! I'll buy your book.

Postby edhaman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Matt Lemke: Good one! It made me laugh out loud.

Postby chrismjx » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:59 pm

LOL... makes me laugh because he sounds exactly like my friend from Texas. Stubborn, don't know what they don't know, and don't care to. Any chance your friend is a Texan? :-D (FD: I grew up in TX but left about 9 years ago, and I know less about the mountains today than I did the day I left) I think the most likely outcome is that, with that 16mi hike, he'll crap out before he even gets his shot at the summit.

Postby oldschoolczar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm

chrismjx wrote:I grew up in TX but left about 9 years ago, and I know less about the mountains today than I did the day I left

Ha LOL!

OP do keep us posted. This guy sounds hilarious... I'd like to hear more of his antics!

So what was this guy doing instead of playing video games that distinguishes him so much from his peers? There are plenty of kids not playing Xbox! Is he just an exercise-obsessed goon who thinks he can do anything?
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby screeman57 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Wow, I love reading these threads.

And I have to say, the humility displayed by the most experienced members here is so refreshing and instructive.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Vincopotamus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm just disappointed that this was relayed to us through a concerned friend instead of him creating a 14ers.com account and announcing his plans directly to us. This thread is funny as is, but it had so much more potential.

Say, is Mandy still around? Maybe someone should introduce the two?
Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

Postby MountainMedic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:51 pm

kbmiller wrote:I recommend you encourage him to go. Might be able to get him removed from the gene pool before he breeds.

I was going to make a reference to the Darwin Awards myself but thought it might be in bad taste. Eh, f**k it.

Postby klinger » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 am

This kid needs to rapp the diamond first.

Postby JDip » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 am

Hey the kid's either got a (sic) dream or a (sic) death wish.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. The choice is his...

With that said, how many of you have ever fantasized about what this kid is talking about? I wonder what the pioneer mountaineers thought about when they imagined themselves climbing. I for one, think they envisioned glory, however raw and brutal it is to come about. Maybe they dreamed about chasing rabbits up jagged rocks to the top? Idk. Not me though, no guts not glory. Then again, no brains, no escape...

If nothing else, steer him in a direction so that he may quench his thirst one day through means of knowledge, experience and humility. Let him know that the mountains have been around much longer than he, and indeed demand respect, not foolishness. That right there says it all to me.

Best of luck my friend,

God Bless.
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby Dex » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:37 am

JDip wrote:Hey the kid's either got a (sic) dream or a (sic) death wish.

(sick) or (sic) ?

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/what-does-sic-mean/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 am

I bet $100 he doesn't even attempt it. He's all talk

PreviousNext