Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Difficult Situation With a Newbie

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 am

Point him at the Climbing Accidents and Memorials forum.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 am

sounds like a classic case of beer goggles. Not to discourage or anything, but definitely biting off more than he can chew. Lesson of the day: sometimes it takes experience and hard work to accomplish something instead of a brazen foolhardy attitude.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby MonGoose » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am

I think you've done what you can by giving him reasonable advice. In the end, you can't stop someone from making poor decisions. His goals are unreasonable and quite frankly, selfish. If he really wanted to learn, he would have you take him up Bierstadt or Grays / Torreys and learn some basic winter mountaineering skills. He would invest the time to learn the skills to accomplish his goal. Instead, he just wants to get Wilson Peak over with so he can tell everyone that he's done it. In my opinion, he's either trying to impress some chick on Facebook or he's so insecure, that he's willing to risk his life to feel like he's somebody.

Postby zoriloco » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 am

Ahh to be young and reckless..... I remember being like that. Cost my parents a lot of $$ in paint & body work on their cars..... He'll only learn by experience, not much you can do at this point.

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 am

A few responses come to mind.

- "Dude, you've been warned. If you get in trouble try dialing 911 for help." You might want to check here to see if cell phones work on Wilson Peak.

- "Dude, before you go can you make sure I'm in your will - I really like your car."

- "Do you mind if I date your girlfriend, she's hot - after your funeral, of course."

It doesn't sound as if you are going to get too far warning your friend. The key is not to be an enabler or worse - have him take you down with him on the mtn.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Layne Bracy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 am

Back in 2003, I hiked/climbed Wilson Peak solo as one of my last 14ers at the end of October. The Silver Pick TH was reachable by 2WD. I needed crampons to get up the last slope to the ROA saddle, but from there to the summit the route was surprisingly dry.

So, depending on conditions, late fall/early winter may be doable for a novice. Obviously, there's a need to assess conditions and possibly make a call to turn back.

Layne

Postby crossfitter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am

It's not the newbies you need to worry about, it's the people sitting at 30-40 14ers who think they've got it all figured out that get themselves into trouble. Like others said, more than likely he will lose his enthusiasm long before he puts himself in real danger.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Fisching » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 am

I bet Iman86 will have some advice for your friend. He's an expert.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby DaveSwink » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 am

crossfitter wrote:It's not the newbies you need to worry about, it's the people sitting at 30-40 14ers who think they've got it all figured out that get themselves into trouble.

Uh-oh. :oops:

Postby ulvetano » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:29 am

dswink wrote:
crossfitter wrote:It's not the newbies you need to worry about, it's the people sitting at 30-40 14ers who think they've got it all figured out that get themselves into trouble.

Yeah, I resent that Chris!! ;)

Postby smoove » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:35 am

dswink wrote:

Crap!!!

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 am

The precise number of 14ers you need to climb to achieve true enlightenment is 47. Ranked peaks only; 3000-foot rule applies; one Gore Range 13er substitutes for three 14ers.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

PreviousNext