Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trails that are snow-free or close to it?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Trails that are snow-free or close to it?

Postby chrismjx » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Oh boy... It's been a busy last couple of months, not to mention the holidays, and I have not been out getting the trail time that I would like. Can anyone recommend any good hikes that are likely to still be mostly snow-free or at least manageable? My fiance and hiking partner doesn't feel comfortable hiking on much snow because of weak ankles, so I have to try and find something that doesn't require microspikes or snowshoes! #-o

Re: Trails that are snow-free or close to it?

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Maybe not as high as you're looking for, but anything in the Kenosha Range is completely dry.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby chrismjx » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:14 pm

No, that's great info, thanks! I'm not too worried about altitude at this point, just trying to get back outside. I swear I don't know what happened... One day I was climbing mountains and it was still warm and then I turn around and its Thanksgiving already! Ha ha I'm kinda getting fat from being lazy too..... :lol:

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:50 pm

With the lack of snow so far, just about any trail in the Frange is gonna be good to go with just boots or trail shoes if you are moving fast.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby denvermikey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:58 pm

A good portion of the peaks in the ten mile/mosquito and/or sawatch are fairly snow free especially the ones with south facing trails. Biggest worry might be wind at this point.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby aliciaf » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I was on Massive yesterday and most of the East Slopes trail was snow free. Some snow here and there but we didn't ever bust out our spikes. Shav/Tab was pretty dry a month ago when I was there too. I don't think they've gotten much (if any) snow since.