Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lodging in Lake City, CO

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Lodging in Lake City, CO

Postby scalba123 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:33 am

uw_m77 wrote:I beg to differ, as it is definitely a GB Packer bar...I believe it is owned by a lady originally from LaCrosse, Wisconsin, and it is adorned with Green Bay Packer memorabilia inside.

It does make a connection with Alferd Packer, who is depicted wearing a Brett #4 jersey out front.

Lake City is one of my favorite places, and I've enjoyed all of my trips there...

I remember walking past that place two years in a row. The first year (Brett's last season in Green Bay) the guy was clean shaven. The second year, the guy mysteriously grew a goatee...

Postby pills2619 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 pm

I don't doubt that there is GB stuff in there but its not named after them. There is a multi paragraphed story on the back of the menu that you can read which explains why its called the Packer Saloon. I read it both of the times I have been there over the last two years and one of the times I was stranded there for 3 days waiting for an oil pan so I read it very slowly. But I would believe that if she was from Wisconsin and she heard about the packer story she saw an opportunity to hit two birds with one bar.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby pills2619 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Not to mention the place is called the Packer Saloon and Cannibal Grill.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby scott goldberg » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Pills...I won't dispute your research, and we have probably hijacked this thread too far.

Hopefully we can meet there someday...and we can hoist a few and climb a few! :-D

Postby pills2619 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Not to mention the place is called the Packer Saloon and Cannibal Grill but I did some research and the verdict is; yes it was intended to kill two birds with one stone. So reluctantly you may bring that cheese head out, but make sure to do the discount double check cause in Bronocs country cheese spoils fast. :wink: Sorry slow on the edit.

Postby mtree » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

I've been to Cannibal Grill/Packer Saloon and, yes, they cater to both. Btw, it ain't that great. Town Square cabins were a great deal. Cheap...sorta. Goofy and small, but worked as a home base just fine. They even had mini kitchens and outdoor grills. There's a pizza place, Poker Alice, that serves a great NY style pie. Highly recommend. Restless Spirit saloon was cool and food was decent. Bruno's was waaaaay expensive so didn't try it. There was another restaurant that was great, but I'm not sure its still open. Don't remember the name. Everything in Lake City closes early, like 10pm...except maybe some coffee shop/beer garden joint off the main drag. You'll hear the drums at night on weekends! Great destination! Great hiking!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Previous