Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Italian Restaurant btwn Handies & Lake City????

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Italian Restaurant btwn Handies & Lake City????

Postby Redbull » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:26 pm

There's probably not a more random post than this one on 14ers -- so thanks for bearing with me. 6 or 7 years ago we hiked the area around Lake City and stumbled upon a little restaurant several miles outside of town - I'm pretty sure on the way out to Handies. I've searched the internet for its existence and haven't one piece confirming anything was even open -- makes me wonder if I'm imagining it altogether. Is anyone else familar with this establishment, and if so, is it still open during summers?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Italian Restaurant btwn Handies & Lake City????

Postby Teresa Gergen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:42 pm

This is/was the A&A restaurant. It was only open during the summer season. They opened a year-round branch in downtown Lake City, which has since closed. I too would be interested in knowing if their mountain location is still operating. It was a beautiful building and setting.

Postby herdbull » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:19 am

In my trip through there this past fall I don't remember seeing one. Trust me, I have a hard time passing up anything Italian. It is possible there was one and I missed it but it sure seemed like once you left the last residential street you were almost instantly in no mans land driving through the canyon.

Further west there was an old touristy (read trap) mining village but that was also closed by Labor Day.

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:24 am

The property of which you speak was sold maybe 5 years ago to a President of a national sporting goods store who has been doing work on the property ever since including movings cabins around, building ponds, etc. (although not much recently). The property is right across from the ghost town of Sherman. The A&A Restaurant that was on the property shutdown prior to the sale. Angelo & Anna were the owners of the A&A restaurants in the Lake City area and when Anna passed away (early '07) the restaurants were all shutdown over the subsequent years. SJ Ron

Postby Redbull » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted -- unfortunate that it no longer is in operation, but things and times change. In my mind, it was truly one of those hidden gems that you'd only find by getting off the beaten path. Thanks again!

Ryan

Postby MonGoose » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:56 am

I ate there multiple times in the summer of 2011 - the food, atmosphere and waitresses were excellent! Sad to hear of there closure.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/101/1545350/restaurant/Colorado/A-A-Pasta-Factory-and-Marketplace-Lake-City