Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anti-Festivus Airing of Non-Grievances

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Re: Anti-Festivus Airing of Non-Grievances

Postby San Juan Ron » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:23 pm

And there are several 14ers (Sunshine and Redcloud in Redcloud WSA, Handies in Handies WSA, etc.) that are in Wilderness Study Areas. SJ Ron :)

Postby Fisching » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:56 pm

kimo wrote:Hope I have a coldie for you then.

kansas wrote:And no, you won't have a coldie for me, I'll have one for you. Cheers.

BobbyFinn wrote: We should all carry coldies for each other...

Just to be clear - I assume the offers of a "coldie" isn't what's posted on Urban Dictionary.
Last edited by Fisching on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby d_baker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Fisching wrote:Just to be clear - I assume the offer of a "coldie" isn't what's posted on Urban Dictionary.

You're referring to definition #2, right?
Darrin and Kimo....ahhh....that's (not) sweet.

Postby ulvetano » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:14 pm

d_baker wrote:
Fisching wrote:Just to be clear - I assume the offer of a "coldie" isn't what's posted on Urban Dictionary.

You're referring to definition #2, right?
Darrin and Kimo....ahhh....that's (not) sweet.

Bahhahaha! Wow - quite the love fest! :lol:

Postby d_baker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Seems like a lot of, um, love is coming out of this thread. That's nice.

Edit: I forgot to include something that I'm thankful for. I'll start with saying that I'm thankful for this site! The Cow Man has it right, it's great entertainment! I'm thankful to know that Wild Bill doesn't like to be called Dude.

More seriously though, I'm thankful to have known Steve.
And I'm thankful that I will be leaving Shreveport soon.

Postby kansas » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I am thankful to know there is another definition for coldie, especially on a mountaineering site.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby KatieFinn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 pm

kimo wrote:Bob, your levity and wisdom are perfectly timed. You make it obvious why the ladies love you (sorry Kate, just playing with a trip report caption I remember seeing in the past).

Kimo, no apologies needed. I fell for Bob's charm a while back myself :lol: . For which I am very grateful.

Postby CarpeDM » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 am

screeman57 wrote:
Tortoise1 wrote:Anyone who thinks this is a rough forum hasn't been on a rough forum. This site is still 99+ percent clean, polite, helpful, intelligent, professional, etc. It could go downhill 10 fold and still be one of the best things that ever happened to the internet.

+1! Just read the comments on news websites (CNN, MCNBC, Faux) for some serious vitriol.

But why set the bar so ridiculously low? We can do much better than that.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 am

CarpeDM wrote:
screeman57 wrote:
Tortoise1 wrote:Anyone who thinks this is a rough forum hasn't been on a rough forum. This site is still 99+ percent clean, polite, helpful, intelligent, professional, etc. It could go downhill 10 fold and still be one of the best things that ever happened to the internet.

+1! Just read the comments on news websites (CNN, MCNBC, Faux) for some serious vitriol.

But why set the bar so ridiculously low? We can do much better than that.

go check out PT. We do MUCH better than that too. I think this is a great community. It's a passionate and opinionated group of people. No reason for hate, man. Life's too short

Postby kimo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 am

sunny1 wrote:I don't think anybody should leave 14ers.com because of the annoying behaviors of any group of people.
No fleeing, peeps!! [-o<
Anna has contributed alot - and still does. I don't like seeing contributing people leaving.

Nancy, she is gone. Done. She won't be coming back. 14ers.com had a time and place in her life but no longer. And the reason for that is perfectly clear on the site for anyone with half a brain. In addition, there have been some "behind the scenes" comments that have solidified her decision. I'll get to that a little later.

Personally, I didn't want to post to this thread ever again. It's draining. I too was planning to go away for a while, although I wasn't going to delete my account. Maybe I'd have reason to contribute some current beta here and there but that's about it. I planned to leave my trip reports up...I know there are a lot of very nice and kind people who have been supportive of our recent adventures and my photography. I want to thank everyone for those comments and support. When I first joined this site, I remember spending months going through all the past trip reports, learning about mountains and members...I was like a kid in a candy store...lurking in the forum...stealing information here and there...learning. Over the years, I was fortunate to get to know some of the people that I came to respect. I really value those friendships. I may not always keep in touch (you know who you are...Terri...Doug...Darin...others :wink: ) but I do look forward to the next time I can share an experience with you. With that said...I suppose Bill (Wildlobo) is correct. Our sensibilities have changed, and we realize that our energies are best put into planning future adventures...as Anna is at this very moment...on our white board in our gear room. Two months of great adventures...I can't wait. Maybe I'll throw up a trip report in 6 months time...that's about mid-winter...we should have a few more grand adventures under our belt by then.

So...what I mentioned earlier about "behind the scenes" comments...this came last night in an email...

zdero1 wrote:Taken from one of your posts about a large group gathering that you appear
to be organizing:

MT. ELBERT CLIMB
Summit Time: Noon?
There are multiple routes to choose from on Mt. Elbert. Perhaps we can have
the main group take the standard route (Northeast Ridge) and set up smaller
groups who are interested in doing alternate routes. Regardless of your
route choice, let's plan to meet on the summit of Elbert around a
designated time, perhaps noon?

Pot calling the kettle black, huh? What a hypocrite you are. Wilderness
area or not you are putting the same stress on a mountain as any other
gathering. Keri's finisher was comprised of several small groups that met
up on a summit, just like yours. You're judging others based on semantics,
when your actions are no different.

What a joke you are.

Our work is done here. Anna has left. I'm taking a break. The forum can think of these comments as they wish. Just keep in mind that Mt. Elbert is not in a wilderness area and this was organized to be a Steve Gladbach Memorial Climb and fund raiser. Good luck all, and maybe we'll see you in the hills sometime.

Postby zdero1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 am

I stand by my comments. Wilderness area or not, the climb Anna organizing is essentially the same. Hypocritical to call out the organizers of a similar climb if you ask me.

Postby kimo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 am

zdero1 wrote:I stand by my comments. Wilderness area or not, the climb Anna organizing is essentially the same. Hypocritical to call out the organizers of a similar climb if you ask me.

I think you'll find most people (many will never speak up) would not agree with your offensive comment. Gladbach's memorial climb is not the same as a kegger on a 3rd class summit in a Wilderness area.

I laughed with some friends recently about going out in style. So I think this will be my last post on this forum.

Zdero1 - whoever the hell you are hiding behind anonymity - you are a pig and an a**hole.

PreviousNext