Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anti-Festivus Airing of Non-Grievances

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Anti-Festivus Airing of Non-Grievances

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:23 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Today I'm thankful for ... David Bowie ... and mostly Frank Zappa

^this

And after years of being an atheist, I am thankful that I found God.
Keith Richards is God.
I found Keith Richards.
I found God!
keith-richards.jpg
keith-richards.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 341 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Skip Perkins » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I'm confused. I thought:
God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
Thus: Stevie Wonder is God
Perseverance - The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Postby rijaca » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:And after years of being an atheist, I am thankful that I found God.

Keith Richards is God.
I found Keith Richards.
I found God!

Skip Perkins wrote:I'm confused. I thought:
God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
Thus: Stevie Wonder is God

I'm really confused. I thought Clapton is God.

claptonisgod.jpg
claptonisgod.jpg (6.34 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Allow me to get to the bottom of this...

If there's a god, he wore dragons:
jimmypage.jpg
jimmypage.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

And to stay on track, I'm thankful for Led Zeppelin and other quality Rock 'n Roll bands. :)
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 pm

In continuing this theme, since I never post on the Music epi-thread...

I am happy to have heard the guitar play of Jimi Hendrix; the drumming and percussion perfection of Ginger Baker; the basslines of Flea; the keyboard of Jordan Rudess. I am all over the map with singers, so I won't list. But if I was starting my own mega-all-star band, there's my four.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Johnson » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 am

While some of this will turn some of you off, this is what I am thankful for this year:

My short list of Thanksgiving:

God’s grace found in Jesus, Freedom of religion, The preserved Word of God, my church, a wife that supports and loves me, my kids and their wonderfulness, my job, 100’s of body parts that are not in pain and work right, friends that care about me despite me, books, mountains and rock, beer, coffee, pizza, bacon cheeseburgers, blue skies and sunshine, rainy days, our house, friends who can enter into my world, ice cream, my car, hearing good sermons, music (especially good Christian tunes, Rush, Led Zeppelin), hearing my kids sing, the smiles and laughs of my wife, daughter, and son, sleeping in, quiet mornings, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, good hiking boots, 14ers.com, dogs not barking, and rednecks not driving their loud trucks down our street.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Rejoice! The Solstice cometh!!

Only two more weeks, and the sun begins to go down later each day. We'll be on the back side of the dark season. :-D

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:34 am

Johnson wrote:While some of this will turn some of you off, this is what I am thankful for this year:
God’s grace found in Jesus, Freedom of religion, The preserved Word of God, my church...

Don't ever apologize for your faith, or worry if it's a turn-off for the rest of us. Even atheists like me respect your right to freedom of religion, and are well aware of the wars that have been fought, and lives that have been given, to protect that right. I have friends who are black, and gay, and Catholic, and even a few who are into cross-dressing and like liver and onions, and I don't share their race, or sexual persuasion, or beliefs, or tastes in food or clothing (liver and onions? really?), but I don't love them any less for it either.

One of my kids wrote this about Veteran's Day. I didn't raise my kids to be warriors, but I did raise them to respect the warriors who go into battle to protect their way of life. I may not believe in god, but I respect your right to believe whatever you want to believe. It's not like it's a choice, after all... I couldn't make myself believe in god any more than I could make myself believe in Santa Claus, and I suppose it's the same for people of faith: They can't make themselves not believe in god any more than they can make themselves not believe the sky is blue.

There's a good quote from Stephen King in his book "On Writing" that applies to a lot of things in life: "It's the PEOPLE, stupid..." I think it applies here, too. As long as we can all respect each other's right to be the people we are, no matter how different - and we're not victimizing anyone in the process - it's all good, in my book. All the other stuff really doesn't matter a damn.

I'm grateful and thankful for this site, and Bill, who lets us spew all kinds of thoughts and ideas that sometimes have to do with 14ers, and often do not. I'm not even going to try to tie this post back to mountaineering.

And yes, Led Zeppelin. I still have every album on vinyl!

Postby unclegar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:42 pm

I 'm thankful that I still have my sense of humor despite the obvious increasing signs of my mortality. Little music humor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z7Nu7vamRCA

And in keeping with this thread of course Led Zeppelin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UvgsJGRqBVU
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby kimo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Britt, I am moving the conversation over here, away from the party. Hopefully you will see this response to your comment on that thread.

globreal wrote:Keri, I hate to comment on your celebratory thread but….this is where it is.
Anna, you are not condemned. In fact, I appreciate you pointing out what you did out. I was educated by the line…."remain at least one mile apart at all times." Hmmm….good to know for future hikes in wilderness areas.
Now that being said…Anna, you have contributed so much to this site, it's all the more reason we need people like you! Elephants are really big, you can't push them around , and they don't practice LEAVE NO TRACE! For those folks…I second the comment...
Please come back!

Britt - it was just a matter of time. She's done here. This site and community had a time and place in her life, and for that she is grateful. Over time, the community has been trending more towards social club at the expense of the wilderness experience. She has developed a profound ethical difference with a large part of the 14ers.com community. I know where she's coming from. The personal attacks, negativity, and hypocrisy is thick around here - this community publically lambasted Camp Gladiator, but then celebrates a costume party just weeks later in violation of the same wilderness regulations that Camp Gladiator was demonized for.

And Britt - I fully agree with you on this point: she is not condemned, not all all. She is free of the bulls**t that is sprayed often on this site. When you find something that you love, you want to protect it, right? Things like this matter to Anna. And she will defend it. To the end.

I will not comment any further on these matters.

Sorry to bring negativity to the Airing of Non-Grievances thread, but you sir are a first class a**hole. I guess some things never change.
somethingrandom wrote:As for Anna, I cant figure out for the life of me why she isnt invited on more kick ass climbs like this... :roll:

Postby kansas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:36 pm

kimo wrote: this community publically lambasted Camp Gladiator, but then celebrates a costume party just weeks later in violation of the same wilderness regulations that Camp Gladiator was demonized for.

Kimo, you contribute some of the best stuff this site has to offer and the one time I've been around you in person I throughly enjoyed your company. But the above statement is total BS and you know it. Camp Gladiator was lambasted for shitting all over, leading un permitted guided climbs, setting up a 50 person camp in a wilderness area and disrespecting the mountains in general. The "costume party" had too many people on the summit, that's it, Just like EVERY gathering this site has ever had (including a winter HC trip you were part of). I'm not saying its right, but it's a far cry from the picture you are painting.

Thanks for moving the discussion.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby TallGrass » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 am

kansas wrote:The "costume party" had too many people on the summit, that's it, Just like EVERY gathering this site has ever had ...
2012 Fall Gathering: campsite in Marble (non-Wilderness) and folks split off for different peaks at different times (Snowmass, Sopris, Treasure Mountain, etc.). I stayed in camp as I was too tired after Pyramid, but don't recall hearing of any party being more than ten. *shrug* Was FG 2012 the exception? :-k
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

PreviousNext