Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rock/crystal identification?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Rock/crystal identification?

Postby siop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 pm

The gold colored cubes were likely pyrite. Pyrite can be found with galena and siderite so that makes sense. Another way to distinguish pyrite from galena would be the fracture pattern. Pyrite has a conchoidal fracture, looks like glass with the curved pattern when broken. Galena has cleavage so it looks like steps when broken. You can look at geologic maps and journal articles on the USGS website (www.usgs.gov). It's not the easiest site to navigate, but you may find some good maps of the area. Also check out the book Roadside Geology of Colorado, despite the fact that it mostly focuses on road cuts its gives some great info on local geology throughout the state. I love this book, but I'm a huge geology dork too. Glancing through my copy at a couple of the areas I suspect you were near I think it would have some of the info you're looking for. The Audubon society of North American Rocks and Minerals is another good resource for identifying rocks and minerals.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Previous