Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 pm

When Crestone does come in again, I have a feeling there will be plenty of shovels up there. I believe the term is "pent up demand". However I don't have any charts or graphs to back this up.

On another note, I was talking to JCWhite yesterday, complaining about snow conditions, and his quote was "guess I picked a good time to ski the 14ers after all". He was right.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby oldschoolczar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:11 pm

graphz.jpg
graphz.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 467 times
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Hope for snow, ski on ice while you wait.

Here's a graph.
graph.jpg
graph.jpg (24.65 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby mountaingoat-G » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Someone should point that geology is not the same as meteorology or climatology..

All are Earth Sciences, but cover a different field of study. Being a geologist does not necessarily make one an expert on climatology.
Furthermore, as with many fields, the fact that the economics of profession may be adversely impacted by news offered can and has caused bias in those fields against data that could cut into the economics of it.
Asking a petroleum geologist about global warming could be compared to asking a tobacco company "scientist" about the negative affect of smoking. We all (hopefully) remember how that went. Bias exists…. Just sayin.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Hope for snow, ski on ice while you wait.

Here's a graph.
graph.jpg

You left out one more option. Contribute to the burning of fossil fuels by driving or flying to where there is snow. I like the graph though.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:57 pm

mountaingoat-G wrote:Someone should point that geology is not the same as meteorology or climatology..

All are Earth Sciences, but cover a different field of study. Being a geologist does not necessarily make one an expert on climatology.
Furthermore, as with many fields, the fact that the economics of profession may be adversely impacted by news offered can and has caused bias in those fields against data that could cut into the economics of it.
Asking a petroleum geologist about global warming could be compared to asking a tobacco company "scientist" about the negative affect of smoking. We all (hopefully) remember how that went. Bias exists…. Just sayin.
Attachments
MasterOfTheObvious.jpg
MasterOfTheObvious.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Dex wrote:MasterOfTheObvious

Beats the hell outa being a master of bulls**t such as yourself.

I'm just gonna call you Dexy Clavin from now on.

I'll remind you: You'll be glad to know Dex, that if you connect to Godaddy.com, the domain name: http://dexdoesntknowshit.com is still available for your use.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Dex » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
Dex wrote:MasterOfTheObvious

Beats the hell outa being a master of bulls**t such as yourself.

I'm just gonna call you Dexy Clavin from now on.

I'll remind you: You'll be glad to know Dex, that if you connect to Godaddy.com, the domain name: http://dexdoesntknowshit.com is still available for your use.

A meaningless post without a chart.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm

:-D
Attachments
SnowChart.png
SnowChart.png (83.8 KiB) Viewed 293 times
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:57 pm

I think Winston Churchill said it best when asked about his thoughts on Germany, "You know, I haven't listened to the radio much, recently"

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:You left out one more option. Contribute to the burning of fossil fuels by driving or flying to where there is snow.

Yeah. Driving to Wolf Creek, Silverton, Molas, Red Mtn, and Jackson proved worthwhile last year. Not looking so easy this year. Thinking about Japan again? Been following this thread http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1774858&page=7 and it sounds like things are starting to look pretty good over there.

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Here are my thoughts...

Thinking.jpg
Thinking.jpg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 792 times

PreviousNext