Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby ajkagy » Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am

Scott P wrote:If the weather forecasts are right, this snow is going to melt very quickly. The forecasts is predicting very warm and dry weather. In a few days, it's supposed to be near 90 in some of the warmer parts of Colorado (80's for Denver). Even at places like Berthoud Pass, not far from timberline, it's supposed to be pushing 60.

NOAA saying 60s next week at 9400ft where I live...new snow won't last long for sure. All this rain/snow will at least help full the reservoirs up for summer.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby benners » Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 am

Scott P wrote:If the weather forecasts are right, this snow is going to melt very quickly. In a few days, it's supposed to be near 90 in some of the warmer parts of Colorado (80's for Denver). Even at places like Berthoud Pass, not far from timberline, it's supposed to be pushing 60.

Winter straight to summer! I had a feeling this was going to be the story for the second half of May. The past few years spring and fall in CO have been getting squeezed out by prolonged summers and winters. Hopefully before the snow melts completely we'll get some water down to the base of the snowpack with good freezes at night to eliminate that crap layer, then maybe we can squeeze out a few good snow climbs/ski descents up north before it's all over.

Postby jdorje » Thu May 09, 2013 3:08 pm

It's rained/snowed each of the past days, with snow visibly increasing above treeline. But today takes the cake. I measured 5" on the ground and still rising; much more has fallen but a lot has melted.
Attachments
2013-05-09 14.27.50.jpg
Challenger & Kit Carson from 8400'
2013-05-09 14.27.50.jpg (240.02 KiB) Viewed 525 times
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby GerryRigged » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm

CO Native,

Do you know how much snow Pikes Peak got?

Postby JTOlson26 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Based on the information from the SNOTEL at Glen Cove, within the past 36 hours or so that site received about a foot of snow. CO Native could probably give you a better visual though.

Postby Peakjumper » Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 am

I'm going to be up at Glen Cove tomorrow if anyone is interested give me a call... Joe 3zero3-5one9-5488

Postby dmccool » Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 am

GerryRigged wrote:Do you know how much snow Pikes Peak got?
This was taken from just east of I-25 this morning on my way to work. I know it's not the view you're asking about, but you can figure the North side snowfall will be fairly deep for at least a day or two.
Pikespeak1x.jpg
Pikespeak1x.jpg (137.34 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 am

A local TV station claims the summit of Pikes Peak got 36" in the storm. The forecast for the summit is calling for another 6-12" over the next two days, also. You can check the web cams to see for yourself. It does look pretty snowy up there.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby ajkagy » Fri May 10, 2013 9:24 am

Jim Davies wrote:A local TV station claims the summit of Pikes Peak got 36" in the storm. The forecast for the summit is calling for another 6-12" over the next two days, also. You can check the web cams to see for yourself. It does look pretty snowy up there.

Winter and water is a wonderful thing!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Any word on how the San Juan Mountains fared from this event?

SJ Ron and others ... updates?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Scott P » Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 am

With this latest heatwave, the snowpack is really coming down fast. Around here, the Yampa is spilling over the banks in places and the snowpack has gone from 93% to 62% of normal in a matter of days. All areas in Colorado except for the South Platte drainage are below normal, but better than it was originally looking a few months ago.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 am

Is there something wrong with the snotel data or am I missing something? The snowpack graph for the Upper Colorado River Basin says we are at 88% of average and the snowpack map for the same says 102% of average.

Graph
ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/basinplotco13.gif

Map
ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/watershed/daily/co_update_snow.pdf
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

PreviousNext