Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby PaliKona » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Agree!!! The first one sent me into laughing fit
Let's hope this keeps up, not just for the sake of more pow days

Postby livetothemax96 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Snow was amazing! Definitely caught us by surprise!

This was Berthoud on Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnZix8PzBg&feature=share
whats life unless you live it?

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:25 pm

Vail was awesome last friday!

https://vimeo.com/60876320

Postby randalmartin » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 pm

If you don't pray, now would be a good time to start. Let's hope this weekend turns out to be the BIG storm being forecasted here http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

If you are too lazy, here is the summary for Saturday

"As the storm moves closer to Colorado, it has the potential to move into a perfect spot in southeastern Colorado to create a massive upslope storm for areas along and east of the continental divide. An "upslope storm" is the regional name used for a storm that creates winds from the east. These winds "upslope" from 4,000ft in elevation at the Kansas/Colorado border to over 13,000ft along the continental divide. This creates exceptional lift, which cools the air and condenses mositure into snow.

This storm has the potential to create easterly winds from the surface all the way up to about 35,000ft, the elevation where airliners fly. If this happens, it is highly likely that many feet of snow will fall somewhere in a region from Denver north to Wyoming and from the Kansas / Colorado border in the east to the continental divide to the west. It's too early to know exactly where and when the heaviest snow will fall, but this storm has the potential to be a big one. Also, if we can get easterly upslope winds all the way up to 35,000ft, deep accumulations will result along and just west of the divide, so areas like Winter Park, Loveland, Abasin, and Keystone could do well, in addition to the higher certainty that big snow falls on Eldora."

Postby cory1223oh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm

The best part of that OpenSnow forecast "Stay tuned...I don't want to cry wolf over this storm, but it sure is looking good. On the low side, I would at least expect 6-12 inches for many of these areas. On the high side, we could be measuring the snow in feet."

Postby livetothemax96 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:25 pm

randalmartin wrote:If you don't pray, now would be a good time to start. Let's hope this weekend turns out to be the BIG storm being forecasted here http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

If you are too lazy, here is the summary for Saturday

"As the storm moves closer to Colorado, it has the potential to move into a perfect spot in southeastern Colorado to create a massive upslope storm for areas along and east of the continental divide. An "upslope storm" is the regional name used for a storm that creates winds from the east. These winds "upslope" from 4,000ft in elevation at the Kansas/Colorado border to over 13,000ft along the continental divide. This creates exceptional lift, which cools the air and condenses mositure into snow.

This storm has the potential to create easterly winds from the surface all the way up to about 35,000ft, the elevation where airliners fly. If this happens, it is highly likely that many feet of snow will fall somewhere in a region from Denver north to Wyoming and from the Kansas / Colorado border in the east to the continental divide to the west. It's too early to know exactly where and when the heaviest snow will fall, but this storm has the potential to be a big one. Also, if we can get easterly upslope winds all the way up to 35,000ft, deep accumulations will result along and just west of the divide, so areas like Winter Park, Loveland, Abasin, and Keystone could do well, in addition to the higher certainty that big snow falls on Eldora."

However, the snow is supposed to have such a high moisture content that skiing will be futile. So I would recomend staying home and drinking warm drink :wink:
whats life unless you live it?

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:38 pm

livetothemax96 wrote:However, the snow is supposed to have such a high moisture content that skiing will be futile. So I would recomend staying home and drinking warm drink :wink:

If this storm really goes off, trying to get up to ski could be futile, in which case I'll be on Morrison Slide/Red Rocks/Dakota Ridge/Green Mountain. If I can get there.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Well, with a reported 73% of normal statewide snowpack posted today (up from 71% in February), Randal's post is welcome news. Reminiscent of the big mid-March 2003 storm that provided 44 inches in Lakewood, 8 feet in Conifer and quenched the drought that brought the Hayman Fire a year earlier.

I am one of those who believes prayer can help, contrary to many. No matter, if it doesn't fall from "up there" we don't receive it "down here".

Stage 2 drought/water usage alert in several Denver suburbs posted today, basically "don't water unless you have to. And two days a week at that".
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

I was just thinking about the 2003 storm, and how the 10th anniversary is this month. We can hope history repeats itself, although Colorado Springs was in the eye of the 2003 storm and we got only about six inches (while places south and north of us got 7 or 8 feet!).

I skied at Loveland for the first time a few weeks after that storm. As I recall they had to dig a trench under lift 2, as the snow was getting too close to the chairs.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Steamboat was off the hook Monday. All I can say. :) :)

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am

Jim Davies wrote:I was just thinking about the 2003 storm, and how the 10th anniversary is this month. We can hope history repeats itself, although Colorado Springs was in the eye of the 2003 storm and we got only about six inches (while places south and north of us got 7 or 8 feet!).

We got about three feet in south Denver. I was stuck at work in the DTC during that entire storm ... and it still kicked ass.

[-o<

Postby Bean » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 am

Hopefully the ECMWF is more optimistic, the GFS looks like it's trending north - yesterday it had 3"+ of water in the Sangres, now that's under an inch. Denver and north is looking wet still but even that decreased in the last run. Weird winds on the GFS model too.

edit: Just looked and Gratz made similar comments. No megastorm :(
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

PreviousNext