Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby ajkagy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 pm

the pow was good this morning...hopefully we have many more days like that this december.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby PaliKona » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Looking very cold tonight through Tues night...-33 wind chill on Vail Pass! Is that cold enough to kill some of those f'ing pine beetles?

Postby ajkagy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 pm

PaliKona wrote:Looking very cold tonight through Tues night...-33 wind chill on Vail Pass! Is that cold enough to kill some of those f'ing pine beetles?

-11 for the low here tonight, unfortunately we'd need several nights of -40 temps to kill off a lot of beetle.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, negative temps with such a thin snowpack = bad news for stability later this year. At least it snowed though. Skiing low angle is better than not skiing at all.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Snowgirl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

ajkagy wrote:
PaliKona wrote:Looking very cold tonight through Tues night...-33 wind chill on Vail Pass! Is that cold enough to kill some of those f'ing pine beetles?

-11 for the low here tonight, unfortunately we'd need several nights of -40 temps to kill off a lot of beetle.

I'm not a pine beetle expert by any stretch, but I think you mean -40 Celsius, instead of Fahrenheit?

Fingers crossed for a cold(ish) winter/spring to get the population in check.

Edit: Fun fact, -40*F and -40*C are the same thing. Mind blown! I guess -30 to -40*C, and -30*F, for more than five days, are the ticket. Huh.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am

Snowgirl wrote:
ajkagy wrote:

I'm not a pine beetle expert by any stretch, but I think you mean -40 Celsius, instead of Fahrenheit?

Fingers crossed for a cold(ish) winter/spring to get the population in check.

Edit: Fun fact, -40*F and -40*C are the same thing. Mind blown! I guess -30 to -40*C, and -30*F, for more than five days, are the ticket. Huh.

yes, extremely cold weather in mid winter because the beetle metabolizes glycerol which acts as an anti freeze. It's better to have a cold spell that isn't as cold as -40 in spring or fall and that will kill them as well since they'll have less glycerol in their system.

fortunately they are pretty much non-existent down here in this part of the elks, but I imagine they mostly like lodgepoles which aren't as prevalent as they are in summit/grand counties.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:10 am

snowing pretty good this morning, supposed to get another 3-6 here. Looking like winter now :)

Postby mtngoat » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:24 am

Anyone have a read on Chicago Ridge near Tennessee Pass?
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Others on another thread are "dreamin of summer". Maybe here some can offer some fresh thoughts about snowpack conditions. Recent trip reports and photo image attachments in other threads do not appear encouraging.

Maybe the snow is whiter where you are.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Mark A Steiner wrote:Others on another thread are "dreamin of summer". Maybe here some can offer some fresh thoughts about snowpack conditions. Recent trip reports and photo image attachments in other threads do not appear encouraging.

Maybe the snow is whiter where you are.

Snowpack conditions are horrible.

gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

You don't need a graph to tell you that Bean. Some petrol and a quick skin should have you planning trips NW of CO. Sadly, that seems to be the proper course again this year.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Just pointing out that we're somehow even worse off than last year.

I was heading to Jackson for a week but that plan seems to have been wrecked, and I haven't got a lot of time for other trips this year. If things don't change I'll end up with two seasons combined with less than half the days of the season before. :x
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

PreviousNext