Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby PaliKona » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm

It could be worse...this is flying into Burbank north of LA...soooo brown and smoggy!
Attachments
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 032.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Postby Bean » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:55 pm

PaliKona wrote:It could be worse...this is flying into Burbank north of LA...soooo brown and smoggy!

Denver didn't look much better today.

Postby yorksman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:44 am

http://www.jodygrigg.com - Colorado Fourteener photos and more.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jody-Grigg-Photography/262024160516067 Jody Grigg Photography Facebook

Postby mountaingoat-G » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:40 am

This is no BS.
http://climatechange.worldbank.org/sites/default/files/Turn_Down_the_heat_Why_a_4_degree_centrigrade_warmer_world_must_be_avoided.pdf

You can relay on cute icons or smart-ass graphs, but the reality is going to suck.

Postby adkinsadam1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 am

It looks like the chance for any real snow anywhere in the state for the next week is basically gone. The mountains maybe get 3inches but that is the maximum. Looks like continued dry for a while!

Postby Point North » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:50 am

mountaingoat-G wrote:This is no BS.
http://climatechange.worldbank.org/sites/default/files/Turn_Down_the_heat_Why_a_4_degree_centrigrade_warmer_world_must_be_avoided.pdf

You can relay on cute icons or smart-ass graphs, but the reality is going to suck.

The report opens with this: "It is my hope that this report shocks us into action. Even for those of us already committed to fighting
climate change, I hope it causes us to work with much more urgency."

Unfortunately, I think we are well past the "tipping point" of runaway global warming. Even if we stopped all greenhouse gas emissions today, the earth would continue to warm for some time due to the gasses already in the atmosphere.

But we're not stopping emissions. And didn't China and India give us the finger at the last climate change summit and refuse to agree to any emissions limits? We are screwed.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 am

adkinsadam1 wrote:It looks like the chance for any real snow anywhere in the state for the next week is basically gone. The mountains maybe get 3inches but that is the maximum. Looks like continued dry for a while!

looks like some flurries friday, a bit more snow monday, then a pretty good storm for wednesday next week. The longer range mid DEC pattern looks really good. I'm feeling a pretty drastic change in a week or two.

Postby Bean » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:06 am

ajkagy wrote:I'm feeling a pretty drastic change in a week or two.

Hearing this non-stop for the past year has been more annoying than the dry weather itself. I'm taking the studded snows off my commuter bike and putting some faster tires back on. Winter's cancelled.

Postby George James » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 am

adkinsadam1 wrote:It looks like the chance for any real snow anywhere in the state for the next week is basically gone. The mountains maybe get 3inches but that is the maximum. Looks like continued dry for a while!

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

ajkagy wrote:looks like some flurries friday, a bit more snow monday, then a pretty good storm for wednesday next week. The longer range mid DEC pattern looks really good. I'm feeling a pretty drastic change in a week or two.

...though I do wonder where you see a pretty good storm happening on Wednesday next week. Here's what I see:

NWS GRAND JUNCTION CO wrote:TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY A BROAD FLAT RIDGE REESTABLISHES ITSELF OVER THE SWRN U.S. AND THE FOUR CORNERS STATES...BRINGING ANOTHER PERIOD OF DRY WEATHER.
---
Point North wrote:We are screwed.
Bean wrote:Winter's cancelled.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 am

I'm not worried about climate change as much as I am about the sun changing into a red giant and turning the surface of the earth into plasma. That's coming in about 4 billion years, are you prepared?

Postby ajkagy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

1200 GFS that just came out shows a storm/moisture sagging further south and hitting CO wed/thur next week, still a week out and will probably change, but I can hold onto something :)

Postby George James » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 am

Well don't stop believin I guess. Looks like Joel sees the same thing you're talkin bout, but wrote Thursday/Friday instead of Wednesday/Thursday.

It'll snow in Colorado or the season will be a perpetual road trip. Either way.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

PreviousNext