Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby gratzo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Japan, check.
BC, check.
Northern rockies, mostly check.
Don't talk about long-range forecasts, check.

Also, every time someone posts a 25 day-by-day forecast from Accuweather, a Koala Bear dies. Don't kill Koala Bears.

JOEL GRATZ

PS - thanks for the links to and kind words about OpenSnow.com earlier in the thread.
50% of the time, it works every time.
Weather forecasts for playing outside...that's what I do as a meteorologist.
http://www.ChanceOfWeather.com
http://www.OpenSnow.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:34 pm

gratzo wrote:Japan, check.
BC, check.
Northern rockies, mostly check.
Don't talk about long-range forecasts, check.

Also, every time someone posts a 25 day-by-day forecast from Accuweather, a Koala Bear dies. Don't kill Koala Bears.

JOEL GRATZ

PS - thanks for the links to and kind words about OpenSnow.com earlier in the thread.

Well we finally got a real meteorologist, skier, and climber (kind of ;)) on the thread. So Joel, any "guess" at all how long this high pressure bubble is gonna continue to push all the moisture just north of CO? It seems like it has been here forever. I am obviously a total amateur at weather but it seems to me that if that bubble would move east the pacific storms would head our way, and the winter world would be right again.

P.S. I am a ski lover, but I can't think of a better scenario than the current for all of you winter baggers, go get after it.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby gratzo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Storm on Monday, 2-4 inches at worst, maybe double digits if everything hits perfectly. Biggest totals central & northern mountains. After that, not sure. Storm track looks to stay north, but the west-coast trough might transition to a central or east coast trough. Neither is necessarily good or bad for Colorado, but likely better than what we've seen. The storm track is undergoing a transition over the next 2 weeks, so we'll see how that works out. At least there's hope!

JOEL
50% of the time, it works every time.
Weather forecasts for playing outside...that's what I do as a meteorologist.
http://www.ChanceOfWeather.com
http://www.OpenSnow.com

Postby PaliKona » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Flying over the Sawatch yesterday evening...beautiful but no snow! ](*,)
Attachments
Picture 196.jpg
Picture 196.jpg (143.82 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Snow would make that shot better for me, but wow that is a great photo! Thanks for sharing. I need a plane.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby geojed » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm

PaliKona wrote:Flying over the Sawatch yesterday evening...beautiful but no snow! ](*,)

That's definitely a unique view of the Apostles! Gorgeous!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Dex » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm

jofkorn1037 wrote:There is only one chart that really needs to be focused on, IMO. The Earth has been around for 4.5 billion years, and in it's history has never seen the amount of humans on it as it has in the last 200 years. Couple this with the fact that the Industrial Revolution started right at the point when the population started to soar, and we are messing with this Earth in ways that I don't think we've begun to fathom yet...

So true - population is going up 30% from now to 2050 and no one is talking about it. Climate, economics, natural resources, world peace/or not - will all be driven by the stresses of population.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby dsunwall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:P.S. I am a ski lover, but I can't think of a better scenario than the current for all of you winter baggers, go get after it.

I am one those winter baggers but I dislike the negative of bagging a winter peak with no snow. One of the reason's I enjoy winter 14ers so much is the pure white alpine environment looking so unspoiled and pristine. However one advantage of being a non-skier (although I do ski on occasion) is being able to do my thing in bad/no snow conditions, I still enjoy being up there and getting the workout. I think I will simply switch to the 14er grid where nobody cares much if it's done under the same conditions as the pioneers. Nobody has completed the grid and nobody will.

Carry on, maybe Bill can add a brown snowflake.

Postby Bean » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 pm

gratzo wrote:The storm track is undergoing a transition over the next 2 weeks, so we'll see how that works out.

Sure it is.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby moneymike » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

PaliKona wrote:Flying over the Sawatch yesterday evening...beautiful but no snow! ](*,)

Wow! That's the best beta shot ever. If you keep those photos coming this ski season, you will have to change your name to "snow beta god"

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:33 pm

dsunwall wrote:Carry on, maybe Bill can add a brown snowflake.

Oh, hell no! I'd never hear the end of that.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm

gratzo wrote:Storm on Monday, 2-4 inches at worst, maybe double digits if everything hits perfectly. Biggest totals central & northern mountains. After that, not sure. Storm track looks to stay north, but the west-coast trough might transition to a central or east coast trough. Neither is necessarily good or bad for Colorado, but likely better than what we've seen. The storm track is undergoing a transition over the next 2 weeks, so we'll see how that works out. At least there's hope!

JOEL

I really hope so. I saw some maps this morning showing a major storm making landfall in the Bay area tomorrow, I believe. Also the area north of Fresno and along the coast should get hit pretty good, but then, the same blocking southwest high will force residual moisture away from the the Great Basin, Colorado Plateau and of course our beloved Rockies. This high must weaken before we will see much impact here.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

PreviousNext