Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are the 14ers Next?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Are the 14ers Next?

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:56 pm

tlongpine wrote:Your luck is awful.

Thankfully those aren't all my experiences!

Postby B-Dog » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:32 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
tlongpine wrote:Your luck is awful.

Thankfully those aren't all my experiences!

Haha I read the italicized font in the wrong place. I read that as, "thankfully those aren't ALL my experiences." Got excited to hear some more....

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 pm

tlongpine wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:
tlongpine wrote:Google Streetview can't replace the smell of pine needles when I open my door at the trail head.
Google Streetview can't capture the warmth of alpenglow above treelike
Google Streetview can't replicate the sound of a frozen alpine lake cracking as it thaws under the afternoon sun.
Google Streetview can't wake me up and invigorate me like a strong gust of arctic wind.
Google Streetview can't duplicate the taste of freshly filtered snowpack melt.

Google Streetview can't duplicate having your cached gear shredded by a marmot.
Google Streetview can't duplicate having your brake lines chewed through by a porcupine.
Google Streetview can't replicate the agony of that raw half-dollar-sized blister on your heel.
Google Streetview can't convey the sheer terror of being on a talus field at 13,000 feet during a lightning storm.
Google Streetview can't simulate the raging two-day headache after your first trip to altitude in six months.
Google Streetview can't replicate the experience of being carried for hours in a Stokes litter when you've been hurt.
Google Streetview can't replicate a steaming pile on a cold morning.
Google Streetview can't replicate the sensation you get realizing you forgot your hand sanitizer.
Google Streetview can't replicate falling asleep on the long drive home after a physically exhausting climb.

Why yes, I have been accused of being a cynic. How did you know?

Your luck is awful.

My grandad one commented that he didn't feel the urge to travel any longer because he could just sit on his couch and explore the world. My dad piped in and said "you can watch sex on TV too but it sure is a lot more fun being there."
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Do you have to follow the 3000’ rule when you virtually climb a fourteener?
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:23 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Do you have to follow the 3000’ rule when you virtually climb a fourteener?

I am virtually certain of it.
Expect to go the wrong way some of the time. -- Gerry Roach

Postby TakeMeToYourSummit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:46 am

For all the kiddies wearing the Nike t-shirts... "Lazy but talented."
Who will be the first to virtual summit all 58?!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!

Postby metalmountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 am

mountaingoat-G wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote:Let it go, Google. There is a reason we go out into the wild.

plus one ......

If you don't use it then I can't see how it would make the experience any less "wild" for you. Kind of a moot point though since I can't imagine this will ever happen up on the 14ers, unless like Jim said and its Pikes Peak.

They did this on some ski areas a few years ago and I don't recall anyone having their skiing experience ruined because of it.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:06 am

Did anyone else see the poll on the site? 77% of respondents said that the google canyon view was good enough to be 'virtually there' as opposed to 23% who said "not even close"

](*,)
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:02 am

65% of Americans have never visited the Grand Canyon, so apparently 12% thought the real thing is no better than a series of pictures on their computer. OTOH, an online survey is likely to get a higher percentage of indoor people....
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 am

So if I virtually climbed a 14er in January, I'd get a snowflake for my avatar? Always wanted one of those. Cool!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby Iguru » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:38 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:
My grandad one commented that he didn't feel the urge to travel any longer because he could just sit on his couch and explore the world. My dad piped in and said "you can watch sex on TV too but it sure is a lot more fun being there."

I'll go with this answer, pretty much sums it up.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

Here's what I read when people on this forum lament that Google is spoiling the wilderness experience:

"14ers.com provides turn-by-turn route descriptions, a vast library of on-mountain photos, and 360-summit views that include the sound of wind but IT'S ALL GOOGLES FAULT!!!!1!!."
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

PreviousNext