Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Paper topo maps

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Paper topo maps

Postby twotyerfryer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:04 am

I'm looking into options for paper topo maps. I'm looking at the topo maps on Lists of John for printing off. For decent detail though, I would have to zoom in and print off more than one page and then tape them together, as best as I can tell.

I'm aware of TOPO! but I have a MacBook Air with no disk drive. That software looks good, but I'd like to avoid buying an external drive just so I can use the TOPO disk.

I'm aware of USGS quad maps, but I'm thinking more in the idea of zoomed-in maps of particular areas that I could then print off and put in a sheet protector or do a lamination of it to protect it.

Has anyone used something like LOJ maps like I'm thinking of doing?

Re: Paper topo maps

Postby randalmartin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:09 am

I realize you are probably looking for a free way to do what you are asking. However, a quality printed map is well worth spending a little. Personally I have used http://mytopo.com/ when I want a quality printed map of an area I plan to do extensive hiking in (i.e., repeat use).

Postby geojed » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 am

GMap4 is your friend. http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=39.010648,-105.897217&t=t1&z=8&label=off&directions=off&coord=latlng

Use the "Topo High" setting and you get no annoying MyTopo.com watermarks. You can even place tracks and waypoints on the map and then make it full screen and print it off.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:16 am

Check out the topos at http://mapper.acme.com
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby geojed » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:36 am

The acme mapper is pretty cool. Just for fun and out of curiosity I did a resolution comparison between GMap4 and Acme Mapper. I zoomed in as far as possible on each website's Topographic map display, and then did a side-by-side comparison. Quite remarkable.
Attachments
GMap4 vs Acme mapper.jpg
GMap4 Vs Acme Mapper Comparison
GMap4 vs Acme mapper.jpg (243.76 KiB) Viewed 630 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby twotyerfryer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 pm

The Gmap4 looks like it has some good options for sure. I'm navigating around with it on a couple of areas in the Sangre's. I've got some ideas as to what I can do with it. Thank you all for your ideas and input. -Steve

Postby Kent McLemore » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Check out Trimble Navigator:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/
If you want to order high res, waterproof topos, check out Omnimaps:
http://www.omnimap.com/
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby geoffirons » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 pm

The latest generation of NatGeo TOPO has no disks. It is all web based for both computers and smartphones, and is Mac compatible. It gives access to all TI maps and the entire US at 1:24K. It also includes All Trails access. It is $49.95 online or $39.95 in stores.

Postby dsunwall » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:15 am

geoffirons wrote:The latest generation of NatGeo TOPO has no disks. It is all web based for both computers and smartphones, and is Mac compatible. It gives access to all TI maps and the entire US at 1:24K. It also includes All Trails access. It is $49.95 online or $39.95 in stores.

It looks to me like it is still $49.95 per state. If they have an Android app for topo maps it's not very easy to find, I couldn't.

The thing I like most about NG Topo! is the quality of map it prints. I like having the Lat, Long printed on the border for one thing. But, just that is not enough to justify the extra cost over the free web based topo's. If you get the National Park series you also get the latest updated trails like their printed maps do. USGS map trails are generally outdated, often the more popular trails have been rerouted somewhat, although I have often found the USGS trails shown on my GPS to be useful.

Postby peter303 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Where do you put the battery in a paper topo map?

Postby Jelf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 am

Thanks for the kind words about Gmap4.

Anyone can get on the USGS website and download high resolution scans of almost every paper topo that the USGS has ever published, including topos that have been out of print for many years. The downloads are free. Each map is delivered as a normal pdf file. The “t4 Topo High” tiles that Gmap4 displays were made from these scans. You can also order an actual paper copy from the USGS if you prefer.

A year or two ago the USGS began a massive project to make high quality scans of all paper topos they ever published. That project is now done. All those scans are in the public domain and can be downloaded for free. The USGS refers to all these maps as the “Historical” maps.

Why “historical”? Because USGS no longer publishes paper maps. All the maps they now publish are digital. These new all-digital maps are called “US Topo”.

Alas, the scanning process appears to have shifted some of the colors of the paper maps. I am guessing that USGS lacks the budget to rescan those maps. You may or may not see this depending on the area you are looking at.

Here is the USGS website for the historical topos where you can download high resolution scans of topo maps for free. Note - These scans are large files.
http://nationalmap.gov/historical/

To find and download historical topos for free:
1. Follow the link titled “USGS Store: Map Locator and Downloader”.
2. Use the search tool or pan and zoom
3. If you zoom in until the scale bar (lower left) shows 5 miles or less then an overlay will appear with then names of all the topo maps.
4. Turn on “Mark Points” (to the right of the map)
5. Click a topo on the map. A red marker appears.
6. Click the red marker. You will see a list of all paper topos the USGS ever published that include the spot where the red marker is located.
7. To download a free copy of any of these high resolution scans click the file size.

And for more info about Gmap4 please see:
Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php
Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

Tip: If you carry a smartphone and can get online, then you can start Gmap4 in your browser. Touch Menu ==> My location. Change the map to “t4 Topo High”. You are now looking at your location on the topo map.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:50 am

You can also get USGS pdf maps on each 14ers.com route description. I've included high-res scans of all 14er quads and surrounding areas.

Just look for the Quad map link in the stats box of each route description. Download the PDFs and print away...
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Next