Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Paper topo maps

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Paper topo maps

Postby TomPierce » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 am

Good thread, helpful.

Steve: Your earlier comment about putting on a sheet protector would be easier if you just print the map on mylar paper. I have a sheaf of such put out by Nat Geo TOPO (Adventure Paper, sold by REI) and it's not only waterproof but really hard to tear. A bit pricey but it won't break the bank; I suspect there are cheaper versions out there.
-Tom

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:09 am

TomPierce wrote:Good thread, helpful.

Steve: Your earlier comment about putting on a sheet protector would be easier if you just print the map on mylar paper. I have a sheaf of such put out by Nat Geo TOPO (Adventure Paper, sold by REI) and it's not only waterproof but really hard to tear. A bit pricey but it won't break the bank; I suspect there are cheaper versions out there.
-Tom

BTW, search for iGage map paper on Amazon. It's less expensive than the NatGeo stuff and I use it all the time.

NatGeo is $25 for 15 sheets, I think
iGage is $35 for 50 sheets
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Scott P » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 am

The think about the waterproof paper is that the paper is waterproof, but be aware that the ink used in your printer may not be. I found out that the ink I used in my printer is not. The paper is still durable, but the ink washes right off with any moisture. (I now have a new printer and haven't tried it with that ink yet).
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am

Hmm, haven't had that problem. I've accidentally sent my maps through the washer and they do pretty well
Only SNOW will end the madness

Previous