Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Simon Yates @ Neptune 11/6

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Simon Yates @ Neptune 11/6

Postby I Man » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 am

Many of you may know Simon as the "man who cut the rope," but he has made a name for himself based on merit alone.

Simon will be speaking at Neptune Mountaineering on November 6th @ 8pm. Tickets are $8 in advance. I will be going for sure.

https://secure.worldexpeditions.com/us/index.php?id=848076

In a career spanning nearly thirty years, Simon Yates’ climbing and traveling has taken him from Alaska in the West to Australia in the East, from the Canadian Arctic in the North to the tip of South America.

He first came to prominence as a mountaineer in 1985 after the first ascent of the West Face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. The ensuing epic descent was described in Joe Simpson’s book ‘Touching the Void’ and in the 2003 docu-drama of the same name.

For the last ten years, Simon has climbed in some of the world's most remote, uninhabited and inaccessible mountain ranges; his desire to visit these places has been complemented by an increasing appreciation of physical isolation and the commitment of climbing in such places with just a single companion.

This period has been one of the most productive of his mountaineering career, with notable first ascents in The Cordillera Darwin in Tierra del Fuego, The Wrangell St-Elias on the Alaskan-Yukon border and in Eastern Greenland. Simon will take the audience on a journey to these remarkable places and share with them the drama, excitement and beauty of modern exploratory mountaineering.

Told in his usual understated and dry humorous style, Simon offers a rare insight into these seldom visited mountain regions, accompanied by stunning images collected on his travels. His book "The Wild Within" will be available for sale and signing.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Re: Simon Yates @ Neptune 11/6

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 am

A humble and self-deprecating mountaineer.

I'll be at this one.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby davebks » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 pm

pretty cool. ill probably be there

Postby Mindy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm

I am in. One of my favorite films and I have the book on my "to read" list. Thanks for posting this.

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Dammit, I am out of town this whole week for work. Someone must record a bootleg video and put it on youtube for me so I can watch from my hotel in Seattle.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller

Postby ketel1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm

DEFINITELY going! Wow!
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby Snowgirl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Right in my neighborhood. Ticket purchased.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Thought I'd bump this up.

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this given the enormity of interest in listening to Viestur's sales pitch.

While Simon Yates has not completed any specific lists, he is an amazing climber and as an integral component of one of the most legendary mountaineering epics. He is humble and speaks (and writes) with a profound reality.

Plus I'd like to meet a few more of the 14ers folks.

...and the FYIPA next door at the Sun is probably in the top 10 best IPAs in the country (in my ever so humble opinion).
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby smoove » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Dave B wrote:Thought I'd bump this up.

I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this given the enormity of interest in listening to Viestur's sales pitch.

While Simon Yates has not completed any specific lists, he is an amazing climber and as an integral component of one of the most legendary mountaineering epics. He is humble and speaks (and writes) with a profound reality.

Plus I'd like to meet a few more of the 14ers folks.

...and the FYIPA next door at the Sun is probably in the top 10 best IPAs in the country (in my ever so humble opinion).

I'm sure Eddie V. is a tad better known than Simon Yates. I'd love to go see him that night, but I can't make it. I'm guessing his talk will be a good deal more interesting than Viesturs'.

Postby I Man » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm not at all surprised in the lack of interest....but I will be there for sure. A small crowd should give us the chance to get some face time with Simon.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this given the enormity of interest in listening to Viestur's sales pitch.

Might have something to do with the election. (sorry for even bringing it up, hope this doesn't go "off route")
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby I Man » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Lemmiwinks wrote:
Dave B wrote:I'm surprised at the lack of interest in this given the enormity of interest in listening to Viestur's sales pitch.

Might have something to do with the election. (sorry for even bringing it up, hope this doesn't go "off route")

Meh - that might have something to do with it, but I think it is more that he is not well-known in the mainstream and he is far from a peak bagger.

Next