Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ed Viesturs Speaking in Golden

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Ed Viesturs Speaking in Golden

Postby I Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 am

davebks wrote:Not to be a debbie downer... i met him once and he was a total jerk. I dont know why. People always say he is so nice but that was not my experience at all.
Anyway, hes still interesting to hear speak. have fun!

I have heard others say this, too - but Ed has earned the right for me to make up my own mind :-D
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby snowypeaks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:15 pm

I'm looking forward to listening to Ed as well, just to hear his story and donate to a good cause.

As a side note, I'll recommend the following book, which I found to give some superb insights. As one who left my family for long stretches over many years to “feed the rat,” now that I’m through that part of my life, I see more clearly and value the point that Maria Coffey makes in her book.

---

Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow: The Dark Side of Extreme Adventure [Paperback]
Book Description
Release Date: March 10, 2005

Without risk, say mountaineers, there would be none of the self-knowledge that comes from pushing life to its extremes. For them, perhaps, it is worth the cost. But when tragedy strikes, what happens to the people left behind? Why would anyone choose to invest in a future with a high-altitude risk-taker? What is life like in the shadow of the mountain? Such questions have long been taboo in the world of mountaineering. Now, the spouses, parents and children of internationally renowned climbers finally break their silence, speaking out about the dark side of adventure.

Maria Coffey confronted one of the harshest realities of mountaineering when her partner Joe Tasker disappeared on the Northeast Ridge of Everest in 1982. In Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow, Coffey offers an intimate portrait of adventure and the conflicting beauty, passion, and devastation of this alluring obsession. Through interviews with the world's top climbers, or their widows and families-Jim Wickwire, Conrad Anker, Lynn Hill, Joe Simpson, Chris Bonington, Ed Viesturs, Anatoli Boukreev, Alex Lowe, and many others-she explores what compels men and women to give their lives to the high mountains. She asks why, despite the countless tragedies, the world continues to laud their exploits. With an insider's understanding, Coffey reveals the consequences of loving people who pursue such risk-the exhilarating highs and inevitable lows, the stress of long separations, the constant threat of bereavement, and the lives shattered in the wake of climbing accidents.

Where the Mountain Casts Its Shadow is a powerful, affecting and important book that exposes the far reaching personal costs of extreme adventure.

Postby ctlee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:14 pm

WooHoo!! Thanks for the heads up!! I had to laugh at myself--I was excited buy these tickets as I used to be buying rock concert tickets! \:D/
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby zdero1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

This is awesome that so many are going! I live in Capitol Hill, Denver and have room for 3 more (or 8 more if you wanna pile in the back or grab the roof rails) if anyone needs a ride. PM me.

Postby BKullman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Just got my ticket. I have enjoyed reading several of Ed's books so I am looking forward to this.

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Does he sign books? Never been to one of these before.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby zdero1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm

MUni Rider wrote:Does he sign books? Never been to one of these before.

Wouldn't hurt to bring one. Ed makes an appearance every year at the Mt. Rainier festival in Ashford, WA and I've seen people's pic with Ed at this event. Seems like he takes time to meet and greet. Signed books can also be purchased online...I have the signed K2 book.

Wonder if he'd sign my helmet :lol:

but seriously...i wonder if he'd sign my helmet.

Postby DrBubba » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 pm

My wife and I have our tickets, and I'm bringing books. Thanks for the heads up!

Postby brendanmagee13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:07 pm

I bought my tickets online last night but does anyone know, do we pick them up at the door or do the mail/email them to me?

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:26 am

Fletch wrote:Not a big fan of Ed's books or his business...

Glad to know I'm not alone.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby fleetmack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:17 am

Fletch wrote:Not a big fan of Ed's books or his business, but I am looking forward to see if he can change my mind. I guess I should give the guy a chance.

Sorry, open minded people aren't allowed on the internet. Didn't you get that memo?
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby AlpineDude » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:51 am

So... our offices are in the same building and we have a private deck. What does everyone think about a 14er.com pre-party happy hour kind of thing before the show? I'll buy the beer.

PreviousNext