Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Graffiti on Sherman - found Saturday

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Graffiti on Sherman - found Saturday

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:03 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
tlongpine wrote:Let's ask ourselves - if we weren't all counting to 54/58 would you consider Sherman a hike worth making?

Yes. I've hiked it many times in all seasons and don't care about ticking lists. I can always find something interesting on a Colorado mountain, even Sherman.

Coincidentally, you've responded to the only part post that wasn't 100% flippant sarcasm.

I'm still not looking forward to this ascent (Unless Salvation Mountain II pops up on the summit.)
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Hehe, Sherman was actually my 2nd 14er trip, and what got me interested in skiing 14ers - seeing two guys on AT gear zip past us on the way up and on the way down made me realize that that was definitely the way to do it, and I'll probably be heading back up it this winter or early spring to try it out for myself.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:12 pm

farcedude wrote:Hehe, Sherman was actually my 2nd 14er trip, and what got me interested in skiing 14ers - seeing two guys on AT gear zip past us on the way up and on the way down made me realize that that was definitely the way to do it, and I'll probably be heading back up it this winter or early spring to try it out for myself.

Nice. It can be a much different mountain in winter, for sure. One of the best 14er powder days I've had was on Sherman after a big storm - it was a mellow ski but loads of snow!

I'll take the summit of Sherman over sitting in an office any day.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby tehchad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:58 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I'll take the summit of Sherman over sitting in an office any day.

Yeah, the worst day on the easiest mountain is WAY better than the best day in the office.

Previous