Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CFI needs your vote for Funding

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: CFI needs your vote for Funding

Postby rockchalker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 am

If members decide to actually donate dollars they need to be sure and check their company's matching gift policy. Depending the company you work for, many will provide $ for $ matching funds for nonprofit organization donations.
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 am

IMO, voting was low for a couple of reasons: 1) After Labor Day, many hikers check out and move on. 2) The Facebook app deterred many. After sending out my mass-email to 14ers.com members, I received over 80 email replies from people who didn't want to "allow" the Facebook app or would not use Facebook. Those are just the people who emailed me, so I assume there were many more.

Still, we got a lot of people to vote and without 14ers.com members taking action, we wouldn't have won $20k in the Chase campaign. Or the new Toyota truck last year, for that matter. Our membership can make a big difference in these campaigns and we should be proud of it.

Again, thank you
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Red Eagle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:15 am

greenhorn1 wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Red Eagle wrote:Based on my 2 votes and a handful of my friends voting who do not frequent this site, i think Bill's estimate of 2000 votes from 14ers.com is a bit inflated. :^o

Inflated? Well, let me give you more info... Just after my Tuesday, 9/11 email we received a flurry of 1,000 votes in just over 24 hours. Then, when I sent out my final email plea on Monday, 9/17, we went from 2,000 to nearly 3,000 in 24 hours. Those emails went out to nearly 30,000 registered 14ers.com users so getting 2,000 interested, even after Labor Day, wasn't a stretch at all. Additionally, I pasted the campaign info all over this site (including a larger banner on the home page) for the 17,000+ daily users to see.

Thanks for calling me a liar, though.

I'm glad CFI was able to earn 20K through FB voting but am dissapointed it didn't make the 50K mark, especially considering how 14ers.com members are already online anyway. Why do you think more people didn't vote? Is it because one had to use FB in order to participate?
At any rate, CFI is lucky to have you on the board Bill as your website is what carried most of the votes for CFI. Nice job! =D>

Thanks Bill, as i said before $20,000 is nothing to sneeze at and will go to good use locally. Maybe now we can now afford to have cables up the Sunlight summit block ala 1/2 Dome in Yosemite :wink: Your plea for support did noticably move the needle. =D> Just wondering what the average # of votes per 14ers.com member who voted and how many people picked it up because they were "bugged" by a user.
"Confidence comes not from always being right,
but from not fearing to be wrong."

Postby SpringsHiker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 am

I was prompted by the info on this site. Voted twice. Piece of cake.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby unclegar » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I voted twice per the site prompting.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Tornadoman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:56 pm

In addition the site added "second hand" votes. I saw the fundraiser on the site and voted linking it to my facebook page. Both my wife and a friend (both 14ers.com users, but not very active, and likely wouldn't have seen it on their own) voted for CFI within minutes of my vote.

Previous