Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary on Quandary

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Quandary on Quandary

Postby ThuChad » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:02 pm

screeman57 wrote:I'm thinking of bringing my cats up North Maroon next week. Hope they do okay and no dogs chase them...

Do cats need to be leashed?
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby screeman57 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 pm

ThuChad wrote:
screeman57 wrote:I'm thinking of bringing my cats up North Maroon next week. Hope they do okay and no dogs chase them...

Do cats need to be leashed?

cats, ferrets, pet snakes, farm animals. yes.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:20 pm

randalmartin wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:The vast majority of dog owners exercise this. A few don't, and they seem to get all the attention.

Unfortunately, that's not been my experience. It's about 50-50 from my encounters in the wilderness with dog owners.

Yeah, I was only referencing life in my little urban Utopian bubble in the Sovereign State of Lakeview in The People's Republic of Chicago. But it only takes one or two dog owners who view crap as organic fertilizer to make it a real nuisance.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Phill the Thrill » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Jim Davies wrote:The story calls them "experienced hikers". I guess they're even more experienced now. :)

"Have you ever hiked before in your entire life? Then you must be an experienced hiker."
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby atalarico » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm glad to see there are what sounds like responsible dog owners on the forum. I am one of those people who doesn't enjoy when mutts run amuck at crags and on trails. However, it is the bad ones that get noticed more frequently. I have had plenty of great experiences with pooches greeting me after a fun climb, etc.

The one thing that sort of bothers me has more to do with taking creatures up mountains that have no way of accurately communicating their consent or how they're feeling. For instance, babies. I saw a 6-week old baby on the summit of Quandry a few months back. It was surreal. If something can't communicate how it's feeling, than how is it consenting to its participation in an inherently dangerous activity? Dogs probably give more cues than babies, but still...

However, I'm never one to go out of my way to tell people that I believe they're making a mistake, so it is what it is. I don't think people are terrible human beings for doing it, I just think it presents far more opportunity for accidents. When accidents happen, everyone on the mountain has a duty to assist in some way or another, and I'd rather not assist with something that should have never happened in the first place.

/rant

PS I'm glad so many others find joy in the rappel/repel mistake. =)

Postby James Dziezynski » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:03 pm

A few weeks back, I was on Handies and some guy was carrying his toddler up to the top. The kid was bawling his eyes out and was clearly terrified, but Dad just kept on truckin'. Granted, this was an easy climb (they were coming up from American Basin) but the kid was clearly rattled. I guess just like football dads and cheerleader moms, there's "14er dads". *sigh*
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby davebks » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 pm

James Dziezynski wrote:A few weeks back, I was on Handies and some guy was carrying his toddler up to the top. The kid was bawling his eyes out and was clearly terrified, but Dad just kept on truckin'. Granted, this was an easy climb (they were coming up from American Basin) but the kid was clearly rattled. I guess just like football dads and cheerleader moms, there's "14er dads". *sigh*

I saw a guy carrying his infant on his back once on a 14er. I asked him why he was doing it he said it's like taking your kid to their first concert. He said, "oh yeah, hes going to be able to tell his friends that he did a 14er when he was a few months old"

the problems with his statement can't even be put into words. I was appalled. Selfish and negligent. Everyone can take a fall. Everyone is affected by altitude, and so on.
What it does to a baby who is not developed yet, I can only imagine. Not to mention it started snowing.

some people...

Previous