Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary on Quandary

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Quandary on Quandary

Postby GregMiller » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 pm

You know, although I have equipment for both rappelling (cliffs) and repelling (bears, or other large creatures, possibly including 200 foot tall monsters, depending on how much they like pepper), I don't believe I've had reason to ever take them on the same trip. Who wants to help me fix that?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Tory Wells » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 am

The names, cities, and number of dogs involved are all different, clearly not the same poster as the couple mentioned in the article.

Regarding the couple in the article: WTF were they thinking? Experienced seems to equal dumb in this case. I would like to hear their side of the story.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby thetoddman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:39 am

randalmartin wrote:I'll never understand people's need to bring dogs on serious routes (assuming it was the West Ridge). Flame away.

=D> +1

Postby metalmountain » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 am

Well I'll be damned...I caught flack several times around here for saying I didn't think people should have dogs up on routes like that. And specifically the west ridge. Of course that opinion was purely based off of the fact that I hate dogs of course. This article specifically mentions the west ridge.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31346187/detail.html

It doesn't look like she made it up Quandary (at least according to her peak list), so maybe she used some common sense. Either that or she got pissed off because everyone didn't agree with her and left the site. Either way....ehhh...
Last edited by metalmountain on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby screeman57 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 am

I'm thinking of bringing my cats up North Maroon next week. Hope they do okay and no dogs chase them...
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby SeracZack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 am

My reference to the other thread made no mention of it possibly being the same person. Only the location and dogs were connected.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby The Pathfinder » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 am

Jim Davies wrote:The story calls them "experienced hikers". I guess they're even more experienced now. :)

Here are a couple of quotes I think are apt here:

"Experience is what you got by not having it when you need it."

and

"A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own."

I'm glad I'm able to read through all these stories before I attempt anything myself. I hope to be coming down the mountian with lots of cool pictures and a great story to share in my TR instead of being saved by SAR and getting written up in the local papers.
Not all who wander are lost.
Yeah, I'm a n00b from the flatlands. But I'm learning so please bear with me.

Postby gdthomas » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

The decision to take their dogs on Quandary's West Ridge was clearly a mistake but who of us has such a mistake-free climbing record they can criticize the decision with impunity? I'd rather hike with a dog than the vast majority of people I observe on the trail. As for the backpack, I see threads for lost equipment on this site all the time. That doesn't make the hikers in question any less experienced; they simply couldn't stop the "bleeding".
Last edited by gdthomas on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am

I immediately thought of this thread when I saw the OP. Not the same people, but kinda validates our opinions on why bringing dogs on that route might be a bad idea...

Live and learn. I was disappointed there wasn't a flame war in the DP comments like I'm used to seeing.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Kansas City for the summer

Postby cocraig » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 pm

OneArmSteve wrote:Not speaking to any one person, incident, or route specifically....but my "dogs on mountains" opinion is this...

It is purely a matter of personal choice that should be of no one else's concern until situations like this one on Quandary happen....which indicates that you obviously were not as experienced nor prepared as you would have liked to thought.

I can most certainly understand subjective input on Dog Situations....there have been many crappy incidents with many crappy dog owners.
If you are going to have a dog on the mountain I think two unbreakable codes to follow are:
1. Be Responsible. ON LEASH, PICKING UP POOP...PACKING IT OUT.
2. Conditions dictate much of what will happen during your time on the mountain, remember to be prepared for you and your dog. I always bring tape and anything I would need to mend a wounded paw(s).

I would like to agree with you on it being a personal choice, but from what I've seen, 99% of the people out there allow their dogs to run crazy and do little or nothing about it. When I did Bierstadt a few weeks ago, I had dogs running around my feet both going up and down the boulder field. They could easily have tripped me up and their owners were behind me just watching.

I have no problem with dogs in general, but their owners have to keep them in check. I've seen people let their dogs do a great job of scaring off wildlife too. It's unfortunate.

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 pm

You know, we have the same issues with dogs here in the midst of Chicago and its urban life that I we have described here on the forum: What constitutes responsible dog ownership?

In Chicago, no owner would let their dog off a leash outside of a doggie park for fear that it would bolt into traffic. But where any discretion is possible, you encounter all types of behaviors. I have seen more than a few owners let their dogs into children's playlots despite signs that clearly say "no dogs". I have seen other owners watch their dogs lay giant turds on the sidewalk and simply walk away. And (unfortunately) there is the occasional story of a dog owner who leaves the pet locked in a car on a warm sunny day.

It all comes down to judgment and consideration for others. The vast majority of dog owners exercise this. A few don't, and they seem to get all the attention.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby randalmartin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:The vast majority of dog owners exercise this. A few don't, and they seem to get all the attention.

Unfortunately, that's not been my experience. It's about 50-50 from my encounters in the wilderness with dog owners.

PreviousNext