Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LOOK AT ME! "Second Handers"

Items that do not fit the categories above.

LOOK AT ME! "Second Handers"

Postby Johnson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:28 am

There has been much discussion on the forum lately about those seeking attention for themselves and going out of their way to be self-promoters. I don't know if this is a new feature to the site or not. Talking with another forum member last night, he seemed rather disgusted with it all. The question is, when does sharing our excitement about our love for the mountains become a quest just for getting attention? It is a tough call.

Several thoughts...

C.S. Lewis, in talking about the Psalms said, "I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation. It is not out of compliment that lovers keep on telling one another how beautiful they are; the delight is incomplete till it is expressed." In other words, our love for, and excitement over what we do in the mountains only reaches its fullest expression when we overflow in telling others about it. Which sometimes might need to be tempered because of our audience. Some people hate hiking, or don't care about the mountains, or our families, or our faith in God, or our new car....etc.... Nevertheless, when we are excited about something, we like to share our excitement.

But, what is our motivation?

Ayn Rand dispised what she called "second-handers." John Piper sums her thoughts up like this: these people "don't live from the joy that comes through achieving what they value for its own sake. Instead, they live secondhand form the compliments of others. They have one eye on their action and one on their audience. We simply do not admire second-handers."

There.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Re: LOOK AT ME! "Second Handers"

Postby prestone818 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 am

first, look at me \:D/

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 am

Don't look at me.

I'm in non-attention-whore camp
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby prestone818 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 am

it has been said by those guilty of this.... "everyone that posts a trip report is doing it to show off"

i really disagree. there is a difference between sharing informative experiences and trying to draw attention to yourself.

Postby tmathews » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Don't look at me.

I'm in non-attention-whore camp

Yeah, but you're the biggest enabler around here, Bill! ;) :mrgreen:

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 am

I know and I think about that A LOT.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:42 am

Blame facebook for this. And adding to this, consider the ages of the look at me types, most are under the age of 30...

Postby ajkagy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am

prestone818 wrote:it has been said by those guilty of this.... "everyone that posts a trip report is doing it to show off"

i really disagree. there is a difference between sharing informative experiences and trying to draw attention to yourself.

A lot of trip reports are self promotion and are used for ego stroking, but there are also those trip reports on obscure peaks that a trip report never existed on the site for that particular peak. These in my opinion are the most interesting reports or reports based on ski/bike descents. I think everybody has seen enough of the obligatory grays/torreys, bierstadt and quandary reports.

The largest reason by far is that Bill created a platform, site and place to archive information on CO peaks that is a huge resource for the whole community. "If you build it they will come"
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 am

From the deadly seven......

"In almost every list, pride is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and the source of the others. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self."

So what's so wrong with that??? :twisted:
Last edited by EatinHardtack on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby djkest » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 am

I've been contemplating this a lot lately as well. When I first started climbing 14ers, I was thinking "wow, I am so awesome, everyone needs to know" and was big into the "hero shots". Now, I'm starting think about it differently. Just because you climbed a mountain once in good weather does not mean you "killed" "massacred" or "defeated" the mountain.It means you were fortnate enough to survive. It's made me wonder- why am I posting trip reports, and what do people get out of it? So now I try to provide great photographs, generally without me in them. I try to talk about the experience of climbing the mountain. I am trying to encourage others to join me. To inspire. To give people a little entertainment and enjoyment. But it's a fine line, because it's easy to seek attention for yourself. For example, on a recent hiking trip, I posted that it was 18 miles and 6,000 feet of gain. Did I do that for informative purposes, or to let people know how awesome I am? How do you provide details without self-promotion?

Not sure if I understand/agree with what Ayn Rand is saying here. Maybe "second handers" tell people how great they are/were? Vs. First handers who want to show people what they can do?

But, I have had several of my friends from out of state tell me they really enjoy reading about my 'adventures' and wish they were in Colorado so they could do stuff like that. If it weren't for people reading and enjoying my TRs, I probably wouldn't make them.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby prestone818 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 am

if i am hiking bierstadt tomorrow i will read a recent TR just to see if anything has changed ie conditions/learn that yogi is stalking the trail.

ive never been one to gloat about my accomplishments. when i see people that do, it makes me lose appreciation for their story very quickly.

Postby Fisching » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:52 am

Brian Thomas wrote:Blame facebook for this. And adding to this, consider the ages of the look at me types, most are under the age of 30...

On behalf of the Brat Pack, I resent that.

(But seriously check out all our awesome TR! We're amazing!!!) \:D/
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Next