Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Which is scarier and more dangerous?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Which is scarier and more dangerous/

Driving in Denver
72%
Climbing a 4th class 14er
28%

Total votes : 47

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Driving in Denver is like climbing Bierstadt.. A piece of cake..

Try driving in NYC.. The knife edge on Capital would even seem easy :lol: :wink:
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:59 pm

NYC, Denver and anywhere else (never been to LA) has absolutely nothing on DC traffic, and it doesn't end on the weekends, you'll have a 3 hour drive to get to Baltimore easily on a sunday afternoon.

Postby paully » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:12 pm

This has got to be a joke post based on the poll results. Good entertainment though.

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:15 pm

This has got to be a joke post based on the poll results.

I agree. I can't believe everyone didn't pick driving in Denver.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:18 pm

Well, there have been deaths on Little Bear, Wilson Peak, and Maroon Peak this summer (plus others, but those are the ones that I can recall offhand).

If there are about 10,000 people climbing each of those peaks in the summer (w.a.g.), that would be a .01% chance of dying on any given climbing day.

If you have a lifetime 1/84 chance of dying in an auto accident (as Tommy said), and you drive 250 days per year for 80 years (or 20,000 days), that's only about 1/42nd the probably of dying on any given day as on one of the three listed peaks this summer (by my contrived statistical analysis :)).

42, of course, is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything (as anybody who's read this far would know).

So there you go: you're 42 times more likely to die on a class-4 14er climb than a single day of driving. QED. :D :D :D
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Scott P » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:24 pm

If you have a lifetime 1/84 chance of dying in an auto accident (as Tommy said),

But that includes driving everywhere, not just in Denver. :wink:

Postby Tommy Dorr » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:28 pm

I totally agree with Jim Davies on this.

Even though driving is crazy in itself, just imagine putting yourselves in a Class 4 scenario everyday. Then multiple that by the millions of people that drive, to make an apples to apples comp.

I can't believe I'm actually typing what I'm typing!! :shock:

I neeeeed to get out. :)

BTW, Stats are from the NSC.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Floyd » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:39 pm

lordhelmut wrote:NYC, Denver and anywhere else (never been to LA) has absolutely nothing on DC traffic, and it doesn't end on the weekends, you'll have a 3 hour drive to get to Baltimore easily on a sunday afternoon.

The amount of traffic isn't the problem with Denver travel. Its the skill level of those on the roads. Simply HORRIBLE!! I've driven in DC quite a bit and yes, no comparison on the volume, but back east people at least know how to drive. Denver drivers are even worse than in New Orleans and there you can even drink and drive!

I'd much rather be on a mountain than on I-25.

Postby mtnview » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:53 pm

How about this for a Denver summertime driving memory.

Driving in the slow lane on the I70 into Denver, probably doing 70mph and up comes a semi tailgating me urging me to push the RAV into the 80+mph range. A semi believe it or not! The guy in the semi whips into the next lane and passes me tailgating another unfortunate driver in the next lane. How's that for vehicle intimidation.

Pretty reckless and irresponsible driver IMO. Definitely prefer the sticks of Colorado.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:I totally agree with Jim Davies on this.

Holy smokes, I'd better bookmark this thread. :shock:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby taw6644 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:00 pm

Im going to have to go with C, Mormons. AAHHHHHHHHHHH RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Postby Tommy Dorr » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:19 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
Tommy Dorr wrote:I totally agree with Jim Davies on this.

Holy smokes, I'd better bookmark this thread. :shock:

Hey Jim,

Did you mark these? :D

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... m&start=10

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... m&start=10
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

PreviousNext