Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poll: Which is scarier and more dangerous?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Which is scarier and more dangerous/

Driving in Denver
72%
Climbing a 4th class 14er
28%

Total votes : 47

Postby Skip Perkins » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 pm

I tried to combine the two a couple of years ago. I climbed Pikes Peak from the Crags Campground only to approach the road at 13,000 ft and find myself leaping out of the way of vehicles with numbers painted on the side. I had decided to do this climb without knowing they were having some crazy time trial up the mountain. It wasn't Class 4 or the Denver freeways but it wasn't a quiet, solitary hike in the mountains. I'll stick with the mountains as my preferable risk behavior.

Postby skier25 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:40 pm

I chose Denver because it can get really hectic in tight areas. Plus, I would rather be doing a class 4 than driving!
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby MN teleMARKer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:41 pm

I'm going to have to agree with guitmo223 and Jcwhite.... Woodman and Academy in Colorado Springs is a crazy ride.... :shock: Very similar to the Homestrech on Longs, on any given summer weekend..... a lot of people going a lot of directions. Some experienced, others.......... less experienced :)

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm

To me it comes down to control, I can't control the other idiot drivers that are on their cell phone or changing their CD or eating or yelling at the kids in the back etc... I just don't trust that the other drivers are qualified or paying attention. You should try and drive in my town during ski season and see how the tourists handle a roundabout. I have seen them going the wrong direction, and even exiting the roundabout to go the wrong way on the highway exit ramps :shock:

I feel like on a difficult route I am in control of what I am doing and only need to trust myself. Now if I am climbing below someone else.... :wink:

Postby chesbro_30 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:34 pm

one a mountain for the most part i can control what i am doing, and others in the mountains tend to be fairly sane. drivers in denver on the other hand have lost their sanity somewhere along the line.
"I am crucified in Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives through me." Galatians 2:20

Postby Mountainman18 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Yeah, learning how to drive in Denver is scary, and ive lived here my whole life...I get my liscence in Nov. so we'll see how it goes... :-k

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm

ktimm,

You better give me a ring when your in town. Just get your middle finger ready when driving down the Dallas freeways/tollways.

Postby Meteor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:58 pm

OK I'm probably going to get flamed for this, so I apologize in advance if I offend anybody... ;)

When I first drove in Denver, I thought the drivers were sheep, and yes I agree they don't exactly know how to drive efficiently. I suppose the same could be said that I don't drive safely, and I'll defer to others to say whether that is true or not since I'm probably not too objective on that one :lol:

- they drive year round like there's ice on the roads and they're scared to skid... slow down on downhills with turns even if it's double-lane freeway, you might skid at the bottom! 8-[

- it sometimes takes them 5-10 seconds to realize a light is green and that the car in front of them has moved on

- on side streets they don't look to see if they can clear the intersection before the light turns read, as such you end up with massive blockage in the middle of the intersection (Arapahoe and Yosemite, anybody?)

- everybody coasts in the fast lane and won't move aside unless someone tailgates them for two miles minimum (I've put some thought about this and it's probably due to people being adverse to changing lanes in the winter when all the slush is between them, and rightly so... and the habit carries over to the summer, too)

So yes, I'll agree with the posters that say driving in Denver is an adventure, albeit not nearly as cutthroat as DC, NYC, or any large city in TX

By the way, for the poster that said New Orleans drivers are safe... I whole-heartedly agree, it's a very relaxed pace in New Orleans, and even more relaxed in the People's Republic of Kenner (same concept as P.R. of Boulder, only it's Creole style)... but go an hour up the freeway and get stuck in Baton Rouge during rush hour... you want to talk cutthroat, the freeway system there was never designed for the amount of cars they have now since their population doubled overnight post-Katrina. Double the number of people trying to commute farther in because they had to find housing in the neighboring parish, on freeways designed for half the volume... and only two bridges across the river so everybody gets bottlenecked on the approaches (kind of like Seattle in that regard)

Postby guitmo223 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Meteor, since you're from Texas, you'll probably get flamed more for that than anything else.

I learned how to drive in LA (Los Angeles, not Louisiana), and I'd have to say that California drivers are probably the most skillful anywhere, just because of the millions of drivers making do on a paltry hundred thousand or so miles of eight-lane freeway.

East coast drivers are the worst, especially in Boston (i.e., Ted Kennedy).

Denver drivers are cautious and courtious for the most part. You probably won't get rear-ended in Denver during a snowstorm.

New Orleans folks are pretty relaxed, law-abiding, speed-limit-driving drivers because they'd all blow a .2 if they were stopped for a DUI. :lol:
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby ColoradoGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:02 am

Driving in Denver can be fairly disturbing, and THANK HEAVENS I live as far away from the front range as I do, but Class IV is definitely more dangerous. 8)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Previous