Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poaching Trenches

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Is it ok to "poach" a trench?

It's my trench and I put all the hard work into. Stay out of it.
3%
Poaching a trench is good strategy. Less work for me.
9%
Quid pro quo.
10%
Who cares?
43%
It was "there" when I showed up. Give me a break.
15%
This was a problem?
21%

Total votes : 117

Re: Poaching Trenches

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Rich H wrote: ... I noticed that 4 legged poachers were using my trail ...

I had a set of mountain lion prints in a trench of mine once on a solo hike. Freaked me out "just a little". :lol:

I was on my way back down and he/she had been crossing my path, and decided to use my trench for a while. Tracks were going down hill, so it never followed me. After 1/2 a mile it went off to the left after some rabbit tracks but I was talking to myself and banging poles together the whole way back to the car. Wouldn't have wanted to come up on it suddenly!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby geojed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:39 pm

geojed wrote:There should be an answer for "All except for option A". Heck, I cheer and urge people in my TR's to "poach" my trench. "Pass it on" I say. :D 8)

For the truly anal retentive :lol: , maybe we can have Bill add a button you can click when you add a peak to your summit list for "poached" a trench or "made your own". So, the absurd conclusion that one would get to following the logic of Answer A would be that since I just made a trench up to Horn Creek Basin to do Mt. Adams, if I went up there again tomorrow to do Little Horn and Fluted I would have to break a new trench parrallel to my previous one? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Floyd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Just make sure that you don't poach the ski tracks off of Vail Pass towards Uneva. I did that on snowshoes last winter and a whiny piss-ant in thousands of $ of ski gear asked my climbing partners to kick my ass for him.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby altidude » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Hike smarter, not harder. :wink:
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

Postby Summit Lounger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

What if someone climbs a peak in calendar winter, but it is a dry one such as we have now? Everyone that climbed Huron earlier this year drove over the trench to Windield. Is that still poaching? :-" Can you poach a road?

Postby seano732 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:18 pm

My buddy and I followed the trench on Mt. Yale last Monday, which promptly dead-ended, off-route in the trees. We then spent the next 2 hours swimming in really deep powder to reconnect w/ the CO trail, which we never did. @climbingbiz sounds like he had the same experience. Up till it stopped, the trench was really nice though..... BTW, has anyone seen the CO trail? ](*,)
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Postby d_baker » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Furthermore wrote:I have encountered some political bickering regarding the utilization of trenches both personally and non-personally.

So... I have been wondering what the thoughts were on "poaching" trenches. Seems to be a hot topic with some and I was just curious what people thought about the issue.

Guilty as charged. I can be included in the above statement, because I've made snide comments about people poaching.
Sometimes it's all in fun, but sometimes not.

Furthermore wrote:Do you plan winter outings around where a trench has been placed?

No.

Furthermore wrote:To me, it seems that people do utilize the placement of a trench. Hence the large wave of people that climbed Huron within just a few weeks (I am certainly guilty of this one). Or Little Bear, Blanca-Ellingwood. Etc.

I agree.

Furthermore wrote:Why does there have to be such a big pissing match?

Because I'm a jackass, and a curmudgeon, and, well, isn't that enough? ;)

crossfitter wrote:Using a trench that was already there? Not an a**hole.
Guilty. I'm glad I'm not an a**hole under this category.

Only climbing when there is a convenient trench? Weak, but not an a**hole.
I have not done that! Not an a**hole!

Intentionally starting late to let others lay a trench down so you can cruise? A**hole.
I have not done that. Though there's someone on here that is known for it, and that bothers me. Hello, teamwork? Lame.

Bragging about how fast/rad you are after letting everyone else break trail? A**hole.
See above comment.

I recently took jabs at someone on 14erW about trench poaching. I meant every word of it. I don't care. He probably knows about it. I don't care. I'm an a**hole.

Interesting thread, but I would have titled it, "The Art of Trench Poaching."
I did not vote.
Peace.

Postby jeremy27 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Reading Roof of the Rockies and just read about the Hayden survey's climb of Trinchera Peak. "On Trinchera the climbers followed the trail of a bear to the summit; by using the bear's tracks, they were able to avoid having to break their own trail for much of the way through the soft snow." I laughed out loud.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:25 am

trenchcat.jpg
trenchcat.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby hollamby » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 pm

crossfitter wrote:Intentionally starting late to let others lay a trench down so you can cruise? A**hole.

Bragging about how fast/rad you are after letting everyone else break trail? A**hole.

Following someone's trench, catching up and not offering to take over trail breaking? Mega a**hole.

Heard it ](*,)
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby jameseroni » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:12 pm

@Jim Davies - that's doggone friggin' hilarious. Thx for the laugh.

Postby d_baker » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 pm

So that's a p**sy that can't break its own trench, right? But still stealing the glory. sigh.

PreviousNext