Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Poaching Trenches

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Is it ok to "poach" a trench?

It's my trench and I put all the hard work into. Stay out of it.
3%
Poaching a trench is good strategy. Less work for me.
9%
Quid pro quo.
10%
Who cares?
43%
It was "there" when I showed up. Give me a break.
15%
This was a problem?
21%

Total votes : 117

Re: Poaching Trenches

Postby ajkagy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:16 pm

George James wrote::? Just please, for the love of all that is good, keep your trenches away from the skin track. Michelle didn't break that beautiful skin track for me just so you could mangle it with your snowshoes.

PS - The 20th century called, it wants its floatation devices back.

+1 thank god someone mentioned this...nothing worse than someone messing up a good skin track. Usually the snowshoer gets a good dose of karma with postholing after they try to follow a skin track through deep unconsolidated snow :lol:
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:17 pm

Oman wrote:First World Problem.

Ha!

I have poached. And have been poached. I judge not.
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby Jon Frohlich » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:21 pm

http://first-world-problems.com/

:D

Postby Rich H » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:57 pm

I spent one winter working my way up Bard Pk - maybe 4 goes before I made it to tree line. Every time I came back I noticed that 4 legged poachers were using my trail keeping it maintained and even breaking more trail from where I stopped prior.

Ethically I couldn't count the summit.
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby Oman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:

http://first-world-problems.com/

:D

Pretty good!

"Battery life on my Iphone really sucks above timberline."

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:11 pm

If I make a trench, please use it.

If you make a trench, thank you, I'm gonna use it.

If you make a trench and complain about me using it, go f**k yourself. :mrgreen:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby geojed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

There should be an answer for "All except for option A". Heck, I cheer and urge people in my TR's to "poach" my trench. "Pass it on" I say. :D 8)
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby DeucesWild » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Tory Wells wrote:If you make a trench and complain about me using it, go f**k yourself.

That would be exactly zero people right now. You're telling no one to go f**k themselves.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby milan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Fletch wrote:
It's all relative - that's all im saying. Having Bill climb all the 14ers and make nice little pdf's for us - isn't that "using someone else to do the difficult physical work that comes with trail-breaking" - I mean when you drive to a TH and start hiking, isn't the trail you are on a product of other people's work? Isn't the road you drove up to get there the same thing? The gore-tex? The weather reports? Avy forecasts? You see my point?

Exactly, I agree with you. Hiking on trails during the summer using printed guides with photographs from 14ers.com is OK but using a trench in snow made by someone else is not? :roll: Its crazy. If the trench is there, I'll happily use it, if its not, I don't rely on it and make my own. There are tons of other ways to make the trip tougher if desired. I understand, that people want to make their own trenches, why not - but why would someone be crazy if another hiker uses it later?

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:If you make a trench and complain about me using it, go f**k yourself.

That would be exactly zero people right now. You're telling no one to go f**k themselves.

Go back to off-route, Douches, where you can continue to contribute nothing. Please and thank you.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby DeucesWild » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Tory Wells wrote:Go back to off-route, Douches, where you can continue to contribute nothing. Please and thank you.

Sorry man, I don't have your vast wealth of mountaineering knowledge to fall back on. I do what I can.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

geojed wrote:There should be an answer for "All except for option A". Heck, I cheer and urge people in my TR's to "poach" my trench. "Pass it on" I say. :D 8)

And thereby maintain it. In (my) perfect world I could bust a trench and return in 3 weeks and a few snows to reuse it.

And on this whole 'I'm putting in more work than you, youre slacking' thing (which no one has really defended yet), it is relative. I see really out of shape people climbing mountains all the time, theyre probably putting in more work despite going 1mph and possibly not reaching the summit. I don't have the same endurance in the winter as I do in the summer, so while I might look like I'm perfectly able to bust a trench up to the summit, I may not be able to. So it is indeed relative.

And just confirming that I think this whole poaching business is a very isolated phenomenon, I've never seen two trenches going side by side up a mountain as if someone thought it was 'cheating'.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

PreviousNext