Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:57 am

Winter8000m wrote:Duces has a point....maybe.

What ever happened to encouraging/helping others to go for it? Not bringing your ego into it and downing others.

Am I missing something?

No problem about supporting others. And, in this case, it's not about my ego either. To whit: I have no posted climbing resume of any significance. Comparing his resume to mine is the same as saying I haven't done much and you've done less.

Consider again his initial post: I am not a professional athlete, trail runner, marathoner, or by any means do I consider myself an experienced mountaineer.

Cave Dog, like most extreme athletes, is some version of all of those things. All of them. And he has done something no other athlete has done.

This is akin to saying, I've never raced a bike before but I'm going to enter the Tour de France and hope to win. Or, I've never really played baseball, but expect to start and hit the home run record, after a little practice. It's arrogant in the extreme and dismissive of the blood, sweat and tears expended in doing any of those things, and of the sacrifice spent over lifetime of effort in many cases.

It's comical to take that position and seems to lack any humility IMO.

55mountains: If you had posted the same content after you'd been working at this for a year, had climbed a few fourteeners to see how your body responds to this kind of effort and to gauge the enormity of what you are about to embark upon, you would get a different response from me. If you actually have the tenacity and resolution to make a real effort at this, good luck to you.
Last edited by DeucesWild on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby Rich H » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:29 am

The key to beating Cave Dogs record is his first day. Since you live down there...if you can get 8 over his 7...
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:33 am

Yeah. That's the ticket. Do the Wilson group in the morning and Wetterhorn, Uncompaghre, Handies, Sunshine and Redcloud in the afternoon.

Postby geojed » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:45 am

DeucesWild wrote:Yeah. That's the ticket. Do the Wilson group in the morning and Wetterhorn, Uncompaghre, Handies, Sunshine and Redcloud in the afternoon.

DuecesWild, it must really get you off while simultaneously stroking your ego to spend so much time/effort lambasting :justkillme: this guy for setting a goal for himself to do something awesome no matter how challenging/unrealistic it may be. Chill dude, and just wish him the best of luck.... =D>
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:21 am

I'm excited that you will be giving this a shot, good for you!!! Any record can be broken. You know what you're up against. Don't listen to the nay-sayers.

FWIW: I do agree that to break Cave Dog's record, you do have to play by his rules. Any change from those and you won't be breaking HIS record, just setting some other new one. I cannot exactly recall, but the dude that set the 14-day record before CD's used the same rules, did he not? Whatever it takes to get from trailhead-to-trailhead, follow the 3000' rule, and yes, link as many as you can and want (the "300' " rule, kinda sorta).

In any case, have fun with it all! That's what its all about.

One thing I hope you do NOT do, in any case: Make too much of a big deal to the community beforehand. Remember that Hammish Gowens dude a few years ago, bragging about how he would do all the 14ers in one calendar winter? People made a big deal, following his "progress" which promptly stopped ice cold well before he did many of them. Brag AFTER the fact, not before. I'll be truly impressed if you get even close, and you'll be a true God if you beat Cave Dog.

Again, good luck, IRREGARDLESS of what some folks on here say.

Postby kyriestone » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Totally agree with climbing_rob! 55Mountains, please disirregard the naysayers and best of luck to you, my friend!

Postby JB99 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:56 pm

Winter8000m wrote:Duces has a point....maybe.

But is it up to you to decide? I think not.

Is it up to you to bring your ego to the table by downing him and bringing yourself up? Absolutely not.

He is asking for help, not you evaluating if he can do it or not or if he has the experience or not.......If he really wants it, he'll get it...never underestimate the power of the mind....It's not YOUR place to say what you said...nor will it be until you have done them all in 10 days...

What ever happened to encouraging/helping others to go for it? Not bringing your ego into it and downing others.

Am I missing something?

My response to this thread has nothing to do with my ego, my ego knows that a record like this is way beyond my capability, and my ego is perfectly okay with that. I'm just saying that assuming you have a shot at something like this, something that even the most elite, fast and respected climbers on this forum would struggle to do (correct me if I'm wrong any of you speed demons on here), without putting any of the prerequisite work in i.e. climbing one 14er, then that is a little arrogant. Or to quote myself "makes light of the people who put in the work and actually achieved them." It's akin to saying, "I've never run a marathon or anything like it, but I'm going to get the fastest time at the NY run in a few years." It's a great goal to have, but at that point pretty unrealistic. Now if that person added, "And I'm only going to do it if ______ support my effort..." well, I'm going to think it's even more unrealistic, because something like that takes an internal drive. You know this Noah, you have an internal drive beyond almost anyone I know. What if you gave up on your goals because people on 14ers.com didn't support them?

On the other hand, I don't not support 55mountains endeavor, I just personally don't think there is anything to support at this point. The second he has some specific questions and is realistically on his way to doing this, I'll be the first to chime in with advice on routes, drives, layers, food, restaurants, camping... etc.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:14 pm

[quote="JB99"]
On the other hand, I don't not support 55mountains endeavor, I just personally don't think there is anything to support at this point. The second he has some specific questions and is realistically on his way to doing this, I'll be the first to chime in with advice on routes, drives, layers, food, restaurants, camping... etc.[/quote]

+1 JB99 says it very well. Declaring a lofty goal is nice, but boring. 55mountains, please tell us what your plans are to acheive it, and post then your progress in those preparations. That will be interesting.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:55 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Remember that Hammish Gowens dude a few years ago, bragging about how he would do all the 14ers in one calendar winter?

That guy crossed my mind, too. He did manage to climb about 25 or so, which is a pretty impressive winter.

It also crossed my mind that 55mountains might be an alias for another member who's just trolling. The offseason gets slow around here. If it's a troll, it's working. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:50 pm

jameseroni wrote:I don't think that someone wanting to beat Lance Armstrong in the Tour De France would need to consult the bicycling community before taking on such a task...

Agreed... now consulting Dr. Ferrari and a good pharmacist... probably a good idea. :wink:

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Instead of concentrating on 55Mountains' ability to break the record or ability to troll, I think since its been 11+ years, it is at least fun to revisit how Cave Dog did it, how TH's/access/trails/routes have changed since 2000, how one would tweak his schedule, etc.

Between Doggler's super fast completion of the Bells last year, Beave7/Eric's efforts on Nolan's 14, all the Hardrock 100 crew, etc...one would think someone would be giving this record a shot one of these days...and anyone that follows sports knows..."records are made to be broken!"

Now if you can get 5 consecutive days, much less 10 days of decent weather on the 14ers...well, that is a different question.
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:48 pm

geojed wrote:this guy for setting a goal for himself to do something awesome no matter how challenging/unrealistic it may be. Chill dude, and just wish him the best of luck....

I'm ready to contribute to his cause. Where can I send a check?

Kumbaya.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

PreviousNext