Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm

I am only a fringe member of the CO Mountaineering Community, but you have my support.

Thank you 55mountains for starting this thread. I knew of Cave Dog's record, but this thread sparked my interest into actually reading about how he did it. For some reason I always thought a helicopter was involved to take him from Trailhead to Trailhead...I'm even more impressed now that I know he did it by more humble means.

I have been working on my first loop around these things for 16 years, so anyone that does it in a year, much less 10 days, is the MAN!

On top of Winter8000m's advice, I would suggest really getting to know the more confusing and technical portions of Cave Dog's routes:
1) The whole Capitol/Snowmass route...I tried to do it as a loop w/out the traverse years ago and it did not work out. But there is no way to beat the record doing these two peaks individually.
2) The Bells Traverse, must be done to get the record.
3) Blanca to Lindsey Ridge (is that Gash Ridge...I forget)(not terrible but needs to be experienced)...plus getting from Lindsey to Lily Lake TH can be trouble...there seems to be many spurs off the main trail that can lead you astray
4) Obviously Halfmoon trail to Holy Cross...many people have never been seen again after starting this hike, not to mention TH closures, this maybe one with a shorter route than Cave Dog's
5) Culebra will be tough...you can schedule a day...but if you have to wait at the gate for Carlos, then fill out paperwork, etc...could cost you hours.
6) I am not sure what route Cave Dog came down off of Crestone Peak to get directly to Bear's Playground (I only know the snow route)...you would need to figure this out to avoid doing Broken Hand Pass twice and needing to regain the Humboldt Ridge. Plus the South Colony Lakes road is closed lower than before...so you will need to cover more ground that Cave Dog on this one.

I would pick his easiest times and try to beat those, than work my way up. GOOD LUCK!
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:24 pm

55mountains wrote:I was born in Cortez, CO and for the most part, I grew up in Farmington, New Mexico. I am currently living in Albuquerque. I am not a professional athlete, trail runner, marathoner, or by any means do I consider myself an experienced mountaineer..

What have you climbed? My portfolio is pretty thin but compared to yours, I'm Mallory.

Without knowing what you've done to this point, it seems pretty arrogant to aim at Cave Dog's record with such a slim background. The temerity is kinda comical.

Maybe not...

Hell, now that I think of it, I may try to ski all the teeners in winter in record time. I don't really ski, but that's ok, I'll practice over this winter and I should be fine. Chris Davenport: I'm sure hoping you'll give me all the encouragement I need to be successful in my quest.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:49 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
55mountains wrote:I was born in Cortez, CO and for the most part, I grew up in Farmington, New Mexico. I am currently living in Albuquerque. I am not a professional athlete, trail runner, marathoner, or by any means do I consider myself an experienced mountaineer..

What have you climbed? My portfolio is pretty thin but compared to yours, I'm Mallory.

Without knowing what you've done to this point, it seems pretty arrogant to aim at Cave Dog's record with such a slim background. The temerity is kinda comical.

Maybe not...

Hell, now that I think of it, I may try to ski all the teeners in winter in record time. I don't really ski, but that's ok, I'll practice over this winter and I should be fine. Chris Davenport: I'm sure hoping you'll give me all the encouragement I need to be successful in my quest.

I am sure Chris would give you all the encouragement you needed because Chris isn't a Dbag that craps all over people's dreams.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:I am sure Chris would give you all the encouragement you needed because Chris isn't a Dbag that craps all over people's dreams.

Yeah, I'm the DeuceBag who stole Christmas. I never said he couldn't do it.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

Postby Randy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 pm

While I can appreciate your wanting the support of the 14er community, to me, it is more important to want this for yourself.There will always be detractors in any such endeavor that is made public, you must be able to look in the mirror and find all that you need to succeed right in front of you.

Postby Wentzl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:13 pm

DucesWild wrote:

"What have you climbed? My portfolio is pretty thin but compared to yours, I'm Mallory."

I read that whole thread and didn't see anywhere that 55mountains said what he had climbed. Maybe he has done Everest and K2, hard to tell. What makes DuecesWild think his accomplishments are so superior? Any thoughts?

Postby Jesse M » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm

@Wentzl "Obviously you're not a golfer"

What I mean by that is, go back and read all of Deuces posts, this is classic Duece, and he is fishing (phishing??) for an argument. But to be honest, that is why I love reading his posts, and listening to his arguments.

I have been wanting to use this for so long, :P
"What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy." George Mallory

lordhelmut wrote:You are, in fact, one of the gatekeeper of the Gapers.

Postby JB99 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Deuce has a point here... It's cool to have big goals and to take on major records, but assuming you have a shot at achieving one without doing any of the prerequisite work required to actually do so, makes light of the people who put in the work and actually achieved them.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Wentzl wrote:DucesWild wrote:

"What have you climbed? My portfolio is pretty thin but compared to yours, I'm Mallory."

I read that whole thread and didn't see anywhere that 55mountains said what he had climbed. Maybe he has done Everest and K2, hard to tell.

Wouldn't that make him an experienced mountaineer?
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

Postby JB99 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Wentzl wrote:DucesWild wrote:

I read that whole thread and didn't see anywhere that 55mountains said what he had climbed. Maybe he has done Everest and K2, hard to tell. What makes DuecesWild think his accomplishments are so superior? Any thoughts?

55mountains alludes to his level of experience climbing 14ers in the following quote...

Andymcp1, it will be a completely new experience for me. I have spent a good amount of time in mountains, being from the area. Most of my experience comes from the New Mexico area, however.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby Winter8000m » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:00 am

Duces has a point....maybe.

But is it up to you to decide? I think not.

Is it up to you to bring your ego to the table by downing him and bringing yourself up? Absolutely not.

He is asking for help, not you evaluating if he can do it or not or if he has the experience or not.......If he really wants it, he'll get it...never underestimate the power of the mind....It's not YOUR place to say what you said...nor will it be until you have done them all in 10 days...

What ever happened to encouraging/helping others to go for it? Not bringing your ego into it and downing others.

Am I missing something?
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby 55mountains » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:18 am

First, let me say this. Cave Dog, I am absolutely humbled that you took the time to post. Your post has become a permanent fixture on my door. I don't know what else to say other than thank you, it truly means a lot to me.

DuecesWild, I understand your point of view and I can assure you that your accomplishments far exceed mine. My goals are of a personal nature. The reasons behind them are known only to the people who truly know me. This is my motivation, nothing more.

JB99, It was never my intention to belittle anybody and I apoligize if it came across as such. My intention was only to reach out to this community. Afterall, I am an outsider here. I meant no disrespect.

Winter8000m, dueces does have a valid point. One that I am sure a lot of people here would agree with. I appreciate the encouragement, there is no limit to what the mind can do. People like yourself are rare and I am fortunate to have you on my side.

PreviousNext