Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Now that you have referred to Teddy as the Cave Dog, you'll get more respect.
I hear the guy lived in a cave and snow shoe commuted to work in Gunnison.
That's the kind of training you should start doing now.
When you come to the Elk's, I'd be happy to show you a pace that will not be sufficient to beat the record.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby jameseroni » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:34 pm

It just boggles the mind what that guy did.

Postby unclegar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Beto wrote:
dmccool wrote:
jameseroni wrote: irregardless.

Not a real word.

Strunk and White settles this for us. In this context, the correct word choice is disirregardless.

Mostly only people from Winchestertonfieldville, Iowa use the word disirregardless.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:42 pm

[quote="55mountains"]Wish I Lived in Colorado, the goal is to climb each one this summer and get the feel for it. [/quote]

Just climbing the Colorado 14ers in a summer is a worthy goal. Have you laid out a preliminary schedule yet? Are you free from work/school commitments next summer?

[quote="unclegar"]Mostly only people from Winchestertonfieldville, Iowa use the word disirregardless.[/quote]

Hahaha!

Postby dmccool » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 pm

unclegar wrote:
Mostly only people from Winchestertonfieldville, Iowa use the word disirregardless.

Really?? I know, right?
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 pm

In my opinion, I would think it to be mandatory to have climbed all (or at least, most) of the these 14er routes before setting out on this journey. We've all been there: having a hard time finding a trailhead, or taking a wrong turn at a trail junction, or starting up an incorrect route, only to have to backtrack...any of these would cost you precious time you won't be able to waste on a record attempt. Having prior-knowledge of these mountains would go a long way to preventing these mistakes, which will only be easier to make when you are really f-ing tired. I'm not sure what Cave Dog's experience level was before his attempt, but I'm guessing he spent some time on these peaks beforehand. But I could wrong.

Going in with no direct knowledge of most of the peaks would be a big mistake, I think.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby unclegar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 pm

dmccool wrote:Really?? I know, right?

It's all good. Especially the #2. :lol:
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Winter8000m » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:33 am

Two things

1) Good luckI Chase it. With alot of work you can do it. I'm not going to be one of those people that downs you. I think it's awesome to have big dreams. Anything is possible. Your mind puts the limits to your body.

2) For the project, more then anything, study the Elks, specifically Snowmass to Capitol or vice versa........I can see that being the mental/physical/technical crux of the whole project. (If you want to get the record, you'll have to follow some of the Cap Snow ridge) Unless you plan on doing them seperate or connecting them by the basin after descending Snowmass's standard route or some other way not by that ridge. Otherwise a rope will be needed for some good old Satan punishment. 8) But seriously, really scout out what your going to do there because for me, if I was ever considering this, that would be the part of it I would want to figure out most. And for Cave Dog that's the part he wished he would of studied more.

Best of luck.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby 55mountains » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:41 am

Randy, a clif bar would be amazing.

dswink, climbing all the 14er’s in one summer would be a worthy goal. Climbing them all is also a goal of mine. That goal in itself is most definitely an accomplishment, though not enough. As far as being free school/work, for the most part yes. I will graduate from UNM in May which will free up a lot of time. As far as work goes, it could go either way, working is not a priority for me, the time can be found to pursue what I want to do.
Tory Wells, I also believe that it should be mandatory to climb all of them before them.

Justiner, agreed.

jameseroni, without the support of the people here on the forum there shouldn’t be an attempt. As far as motivation goes, it is not a problem at the moment. As far swaying the decision to make an attempt, it would matter, as far as I’m concerned the people here are the utmost authority on the 14er’s. Support from the people here in absolutely vital to accomplishing the goal.

Cheeseburglar, if true I commend him on that, but that is beyond extreme. It is not necessary to take it to such a level, there are other ways to prepare for the record attempt.
Winter8000m, I appreciate the advice, and judging from you website your advice is always welcome Prior knowledge of the peaks is an absolute must. In order deal with harder routes my philosophy will be bypass them, simple as that. If that requires finding a more technical route, so be it. This where training specifically geared to rock climbing comes into play. If it takes less time take a straight line versus a meandering common route and taking on a little risk, then that is where the attempt becomes special. To be successful I will have to rely on the experience of other people. Each peak represents a separate challenge. One which will test everything I know as well as presenting a mental challenge more than anything els.

Postby Cave Dog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 am

55mountains,

Congratulations on your embarking on this new adventure. Let me be one more to encourage you. The 14ers are a wonderful array of amazing peaks, from long easy walk ups to awe inspiring technical climbs. You will experience first hand the gorgeous red rocks of the Elks and the bold peaks of the San Juans. You will climb atop Longs and wonder if life could get any better. You will stand astride a divide of a great continent and feel atop of the world. The 14ers provide a diversity of experiences that can only be experienced in Colorado. In the next couple of years, as you train and begin to appreciate the magnitude of the adventure, you will be inspired by the mountain goats and big horns, the sky pilots blooming at 14,000 and the evidence of a long gone hardier bunch than us all that lived at altitude picking away at the rocks looking for an allusive fortune. The 14ers are a one of a kind. Your adventure will be unique and something that you will carry with you for the rest of your days. I wish you all the luck in your pursuit of grace amongst a daunting goal that pushes you to new heights.

Live the Dream,

Cave Dog

Postby Oman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 am

Wisdom from the Oracle!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 am

"Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:48 am"

Cave Dog you don't sleep much do you?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

PreviousNext