Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Attempt at Teddy Keizer's Speed Record

Postby MtHurd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm

If I remember correctly, he averaged 45 minutes of sleep each day. I wonder if he did traverses such as Gash Ridge from Lindsey. If he did, you will probably want to start rock climbing to prep for the more difficult ridges if you haven't already.

If I read his pic right, he looks to be about 120 lbs and of that 120 lbs, a lot of it was legs.

Postby dmccool » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm

jameseroni wrote: irregardless.

Not a real word.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby justiner » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Andrew Hamilton did it in just over 19 days.

http://www.andrewhamilton.com/14ers/progress.html

Not self-supported/unsupported. He had a support crew, massages, food brought to him and multiple bikes. My idea would be unsupported out of towns, self-supported while in towns. Very similar to the Tour Divide Rules, except you can make up whatever path you want to the 14ers you want, just so you bag them all:

http://www.tourdivide.org/the_rules

Just you, some shoes, a bicycles, your sleep system and a list of mountains to get on top of.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby JB99 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 pm

jameseroni wrote:Why is it that you will not proceed without the overwhelming support of this community? We don't own the 14ers and if this is something you want to do I say go for it, irregardless.

dmccool wrote:

Not a real word.

Irregardless of what's a real word and what's not, jameseroni raises an interesting point. Why would it matter what members of 14ers.com think?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby pbakwin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm

The beauty of planning a project like this is that YOU get to decide the rules/style. Cave Dog's record exists within an establish & accepted set of rules. Hamilton didn't like the arbitrary nature of the 3000' rule, so he did it all self-powered. Some people don't like organized support, while others see it as a great way to share the experience with friends. It's your trip - do what floats your boat!
PB
http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com

Postby Jesse M » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:35 pm

If you want to break Cave Dog's record, should you not play by Cave Dog's rules? Maybe even follow his trail, use his methods, and go for it?

Postby jameseroni » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:40 pm

JB99 wrote:
jameseroni wrote:Why is it that you will not proceed without the overwhelming support of this community? We don't own the 14ers and if this is something you want to do I say go for it, irregardless.

dmccool wrote:

Not a real word.

Irregardless of what's a real word and what's not, jameseroni raises an interesting point. Why would it matter what members of 14ers.com think?

One thing's for sure, I'm not cool enough to be "dmc" cool! :lol:

Postby 2giqs » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm

JB99 wrote:

dmccool wrote:

Not a real word.

But a real cafe:

irregardless-cafe.jpg
irregardless-cafe.jpg (154.36 KiB) Viewed 1049 times

regards,

Postby 55mountains » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:23 pm

In my opinion it matters what the poeple on this forum think about such an attempt, out of respect for the ones who actually spend time in the mountains. MtOwl has a very good point, it is Cave Dogs record, therefore I will be following his rules. It isn't solely about the record. It is a greater challenge to prepare for such an attempt than it is to actually do it. I agree that Teddy's record was unbelievable and when you look at how he actually did it, it adds a whole new element. The challenge is in the preparation. The record is really just an added bonus at the end.

Andymcp1, it will be a completely new experience for me. I have spent a good amount of time in mountains, being from the area. Most of my experience comes from the New Mexico area, however.

Wish I Lived in Colorado, the goal is to climb each one this summer and get the feel for it. After that, the true planning begins and the remaining time will be spent climbing and preparing for the actual attempt. Each one will be climbed a minimum of twice, mostly solo but I would enjoy company. Time permitting, each peak will be summitted as many times as possible. Afterall, I don't have death wish and I understand the dangers of being ill-prepared.

As far as being unsupported, I don't have the desire to do such a thing, no offense. That type of trip requires a different breed of person.

The overall goal is not to break the record, but to push my limits and challenge myself.

Postby justiner » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:32 pm

As far as being unsupported, I don't have the desire to do such a thing, no offense. That type of trip requires a different breed of person.

Yeah we're called bat sh*t crazy! :)
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby Beto » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 pm

dmccool wrote:

Not a real word.

Strunk and White settles this for us. In this context, the correct word choice is disirregardless.

Postby jameseroni » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 pm

55mountains wrote:In my opinion it matters what the poeple on this forum think about such an attempt, out of respect for the ones who actually spend time in the mountains. MtOwl has a very good point, it is Cave Dogs record, therefore I will be following his rules. It isn't solely about the record. It is a greater challenge to prepare for such an attempt than it is to actually do it. I agree that Teddy's record was unbelievable and when you look at how he actually did it, it adds a whole new element. The challenge is in the preparation. The record is really just an added bonus at the end.

Andymcp1, it will be a completely new experience for me. I have spent a good amount of time in mountains, being from the area. Most of my experience comes from the New Mexico area, however.

Wish I Lived in Colorado, the goal is to climb each one this summer and get the feel for it. After that, the true planning begins and the remaining time will be spent climbing and preparing for the actual attempt. Each one will be climbed a minimum of twice, mostly solo but I would enjoy company. Time permitting, each peak will be summitted as many times as possible. Afterall, I don't have death wish and I understand the dangers of being ill-prepared.

The overall goal is not to break the record, but to push my limits and challenge myself.

I see what you're trying to say - and I agree with you to a certain degree. He is obviously being respectful by coming to a community which most likely has opinions to offer about his endeavor. However - if he didn't garner support for this effort from this community, should it sway his decision to take on such a task? If so, I'd have to make the argument that he really wasn't that motivated or dedicated to begin with. Bottom line is - if you're going to do something like this and are motivated to do it, go for it.

I don't think that someone wanting to beat Lance Armstrong in the Tour De France would need to consult the bicycling community before taking on such a task...

PreviousNext