Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:32 pm

IMG_0020b.jpg
IMG_0020b.jpg (133.63 KiB) Viewed 513 times

IMG_0023b.jpg
IMG_0023b.jpg (93.76 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Alpine Rescue Team reported on Facebook that Flight for Life assisted with a fallen climber on the east side of Mount Beirstadt.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alpine-Rescue-Team/136448469733191

Congratulations too all the finishers today!

I felt a bit sluggish this morning until around mile 5, then I got into my groove. After finishing we hiked up to the true summit, and saw Flight for Life flying around Mount Beirstadt. We took a photo on the summit and got off the mountain because the bad weather was moving in quick! While driving down we were stopped so that Flight for Life could land on the road. Excellent weather compared to last year, well except for the electrifying experience that some of the runners encountered at the end of the race.

Anyone going to run it again next year? I had several friends on the mountain that said they loved it, one of them said they'd never do it again!
Last edited by dehrlich101 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby LynnKH » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm

It was an amazing day. So much fun.

It's too bad the weather turned nasty so quickly. I just wish these races (including Pikes) started at 6:30 instead of 7:30. That would go a long way towards getting everyone off the summit before the tstorms.

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:14 pm

LynnKH wrote:It was an amazing day. So much fun.

It's too bad the weather turned nasty so quickly. I just wish these races (including Pikes) started at 6:30 instead of 7:30. That would go a long way towards getting everyone off the summit before the tstorms.

Completely agree Lynn! It was a very dangerous situation for those people left on the summit this afternoon. I couldn't believe they didn't call the race earlier.

Good meeting you this morning.

Dan
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby BadShad » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Every year I run it and every year I say I am not gonna do it next year. I was hobbling up after I killed my leg in Tough Mudder last week but (despite what my wife wanted) I ran it anyway! Ok ran the first 5 miles, hobbled the next 4 (reaching the cut off by 2hrs10min) and then walked the rest. My time this year (4:10) was almost 45 minutes slower than last year! Lesson learned don't do an adventure race a week before running up a 14er!

Postby drsarah04 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 pm

I ran this race today too. It was amazing--probably my favorite race out of all the ones I've done (which have been just half marathons to this point.) I signed up for it at the last minute, intending to use it as a gauge of my fitness for Pikes in August, so was very happy that I hit my overall goal time (and the cut-offs!). I can't wait to run it again next year!

Like several other folks, I ran right into that quickly-brewing storm. I heard thunder but hoped the storm was further away than it looked, until my Camelback, zippers, and the metal posts around me started buzzing and my hair stood on end. As if that wasn't enough, I noticed some sparks flying off those big metal poles along the road used to judge the snow depth. I was so torn between hitching a ride down from mile 12 with random tourists (what's a race finish/medal vs saving my life, right?) vs toughing it out to the summit where I knew the vans would pick me up. I chose the latter. As I waited on the summit, my feet started tingling and I thought I saw little sparks flying from my shoes. In retrospect, I should've just gone down early and been proud of whatever I could accomplish in my first 14er race--if I'd been hiking this 14er alone (or with friends) I absolutely would not have continued upward in that crazy storm with signs of imminent danger from lightning all around. (I've been known to ditch 14ers a couple hundred feet below the summit in the past because of lightning scares.) My boyfriend, who was waiting for me at the finish, told me later that he saw lightning around the 12 mile post as he rode down in the van.

I can't agree enough with the other poster who suggested that this race (and Pikes) should start at 6:30 instead of 7:30. I mean, when I hike 14ers I try to be at the TH by 7 at the latest and that's for the shorter routes that I've hiked before--usually I start my hike by 6 if it's longer or I'm exploring a new mountain. I'm surprised race organizers don't view it the same way, even if the situation is labeled a "race" or "run" rather than a leisurely hike. Starting a race that late not only jeopardizes the lives/well-being of the participants, but also the volunteers and race staff who have to wait for runners to finish (and any SAR folks involved in a medical evacuation on the mountain). And, as mentioned, an earlier start would prevent a situation like today where we were huddled in the grauple, cold, metal stuff buzzing, waiting for a van to take us down.

Now that I had my experience today, I'm going to be extra serious about running (not merely power hiking) steep mountain trails for more than a couple miles so I can make it up Pikes efficiently and safely before a storm has a chance to roll in. That was the biggest wake-up call for me during today's race. I'm glad overall the race went well for everyone--congrats on the great times! Aside from my griping about the storm situation, it truly was an incredible day. :)

Postby Project Ralphie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:20 am

DSwink - you and I hiked Cupid and Grizzly this winter, and I was there yesterday as well. How come every time I'm on a mountain with you, it's crazy weather? Is it you, or is it me? :-) In any event, I was fortunate to finish a little bit before the weather got too crazy - but in hindsight, you and I probably crossed paths early on in the race at least, and I know I chatted with BadShad as well, because I remember hearing about Tough Mudder. Going into this I had no idea what to expect, and my sole goal was to try to make the cut at Summit Lake, but things went much better than I expected, and I was happy to finish about 40-50 minutes before the final cut. But starting at Mile 12, I was watching the weather closely and was ready to bail at any minute, and was fortunate to have my ride nearby in the event I needed to. But the skies held, I finished, jumped in the car, and drove down quickly through the clouds and snow. All in all, a fun memorable day, but yep - since they keep the road open, and there are so many people on the mountain, I think it would be wise to have a 6:30 or 7:00 start.

Postby madbuck » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 am

I did not run this particular race. Congrats to those that did, and glad everyone's safe!

An early start may be a good idea worth entertaining.

But, as an avid fan of running races, and seeing a recent, alarming trend of various races being shortened or cancelled due to weather, I think it's also important to note, with humility and respect, the long history of this race (and others).
Has the race always started at 7:30? I don't know -- would be curious to find out. If so, the simple answer to the reason of the start time may be that it has been that way for 4 decades. In a historic race, keeping things like start time the same gives a more fair and traditional comparison against history. And there may be practical transportation and logistics issues.

In another respect, lengthening the cutoffs also exposes the potential to running into the weather window.
Check out the 1979 results -- 898 finishers(!), all under 4 hours.

Since storms and adverse weather (see Pikes Peak, 2008) can also occur unpredictably at any time of day, I wanted to point out that it is incumbent upon every individual -- not race directors -- to take ultimate responsibility and mitigation of risk toward oneself and race volunteers.

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 am

A little Mount Evans Ascent residual; sure it kicked my butt and my time was not as fast as I hoped, but I returned to flat-land racing today in the Longmont (at 5039') Redline Half Marathon with a bang. I dropped seven minutes off of my PB and feel good enough for some Flatiron climbing this afternoon. Maybe that suffering on Mount Evans is worthwhile. :D

On the other hand, next up is Pikes Peak Ascent. :shock:

Previous