Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Postby dpage » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Prayer? Dear God, if you pick them up, I'll put them down.

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Is anybody doing the ascent then the Estes Park Marathon on Sunday, June 17th?

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm

jomagam wrote:Does anyone have a pace chart of mile by mile splits ? I know it must vary a lot based on how well one's acclimated.

What does a 1:45 or 2:00 mile-high half marathon translate to ?

This calculator is really accurate and helpful. The person that created it, ironically Dr. Jack Daniels, is a well-published researcher with is Ph.D. in physiology.

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:57 pm

[quote="smoove"]Any last minute advice for a...um...big-boned guy attempting this for the first time? I certainly can't run the whole thing, so I'll be running/walking/running to the top (presuming I hit the cut offs in time).[/quote]

Walk for one - two minutes every two miles. That will keep your legs from overloading.

Edit: I just found out that I am not going to miss the race due to work. Whoot! This is going to be my biggest race challenge so far. I ran in the Fear the Deer half marathon last month. It was a lot of fun but it only has 2800' gain and most of it happens below 7K. Mount Evans Ascent is a big step up!

@smoove - My strategy is to finish. I will be watching to control my pace in the first mile carefully and avoid burning out. I will probably walk for a minute after each aid station (every 3 miles?). I hope to finish at about the same pace through the race.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:38 pm

dswink wrote:Edit: I just found out that I am not going to miss the race due to work. Whoot! This is going to be my biggest race challenge so far. I ran in the Fear the Deer half marathon last month. It was a lot of fun but it only has 2800' gain and most of it happens below 7K. Mount Evans Ascent is a big step up!

The nice thing about Evans is it is very gradual especially compared to normal trail running (it is made for cars afterall). There are even some flat sections that reside on the road mainly before summit lake. After summit lake theres a good little climb and then the never ending switch backs....

Hope you have fun!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby smoove » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:42 pm

dswink wrote:
smoove wrote:Any last minute advice for a...um...big-boned guy attempting this for the first time? I certainly can't run the whole thing, so I'll be running/walking/running to the top (presuming I hit the cut offs in time).

Walk for one - two minutes every two miles. That will keep your legs from overloading.

Edit: I just found out that I am not going to miss the race due to work. Whoot! This is going to be my biggest race challenge so far. I ran in the Fear the Deer half marathon last month. It was a lot of fun but it only has 2800' gain and most of it happens below 7K. Mount Evans Ascent is a big step up!

@smoove - My strategy is to finish. I will be watching to control my pace in the first mile carefully and avoid burning out. I will probably walk for a minute after each aid station (every 3 miles?). I hope to finish at about the same pace through the race.

Cool, thanks. That's basically my plan as well. We'll see how it goes!

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Switchbacks? :shock: Nooooooo! No one said anything about switchbacks! :lol:

dehrlich101 has been nice enough to get me out on some good training runs up Lookout Mountain above Golden. I'm not gonna blaze it, but I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the beta!

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Just got home from the Mount Evans Ascent (and a couple of re-fueling stops). The race started off well, with pleasant temperatures and clear skies. The incline up the road to Summit Lake was gentle and I was able run close to my goal of 14 minutes/mile for nine miles while gaining about 3000 feet.

Then things started to go just a bit wrong. The road got steeper after Summit Lake and my heartrate climbed too high even when I ran slowly, so I decided to fast walk up the short steep section in front of me. Unfortunately, the grade of the road did not seem to moderate, except for a few sections of a few hundred yards, so I fast walked at least 3 miles of the last 4.4 miles of the race. I was puzzled because the race from Summit Lake only gains another 1000 feet over 4.4 miles which should make for a run-able incline. I easily run Lookout Mountain in Golden with derhlich101, and that gains 1500 feet over 5 miles. Frustrating.

After the race, derhlich101 pointed out to me that the last 4.4 miles was all at high altitude, over 13K. :shock: Doh! OK, so I need to get in more high altitude running before the Pikes Peak Ascent.

The big adventure (read bad-scary thing) of the race was at the very end. As we (the slow runners) were winding up the switchbacks below the summit, thunder rumbles started coming from dark clouds just west of Mount Bierstadt. We pressed hard to complete our races before the race was called for lightning threat. The clouds swelled above Bierstadt and the thunder became loud, closer and more distinct as we crossed the finish line. They called the race shortly after I finished (about 3:50 - don't have an official time yet). But there was a crowd of 50 - 60 runners milling about the summit area, rather than descending in many large shuttle vans the race had rented. The shuttle vans had been long held up by a LifeFlight helicopter landing in the Mount Evans road to pick up an injured hiker. Graupel fell while we tried to walk off tightening muscles and watched the approaching storm. Suddenly we noticed that static electricity was visibly jumping from our running shoes to the ground as we walked, and tingling shocks could be felt on our toes and feet. The race marshall lady's hair stood straight up like you see in the scary accounts of close brushes with lightning. :shock: :shock: We wanted to go down!

A park/BLM? worker in a white service truck began telling summit visitors that they could not get out of their vehicles becuase of the lightning threat. The race organizers asked all of the visiting cars at the summit if they could carry any runners downhill and perhaps 25 runners left that way. The shuttle vans arrived after a tense wait of about 30 minutes and the rest of us boarded for the ride down to good eats and drinks provided at the Mount Evans Lodge.

End of wild adventure part. The food/drinks were very good and the drive home was a blur. Next up is a huge nap.

Oh, derhlich101 had a great time of 2:50! The man is a beast!

Anyone else care to share their experience at the race?

Postby dpage » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Experience report #2 My wife has been training almost exclusively on a treadmill because of allergies. We travelled to Roanoke, VA several times this year before my dad passed away and would run along the Blue Ridge parkway or Mill Mtn whenever we were kicked out of ICU. In her head she had a goal of a. Finishing b. 3:50 and instead crossed the line in 3:15:15. No ttoo bad for a first race longer than 10K. I ran also and crossed in 2:49 and change. The fun began later...as we were standing in line waiting on the shuttles around 11:30 and the storm began to move in an Alpine Rescue person used a bullhorn to announce that there was a lightening striked either 3.8 miles or 3/8 of a mile away, I'm still not sure which. So a volunteer began asking random people driving if they had room for any more. The line dwindled and Karin and I were 2nd/3rd in line as a couple started to drive the wrong way out of the one way parking lot where I held out my thumb. They stopped and agreed to give us a ride down. as we drove to Echo Lake we learned that they were on vacation from NJ, liked to fluctuate speed and drive close to/off the edge of the road. They were kind enough to take us down but I needed 20 minutes or so once back to my car to recover from motion sickness. Lesson: Motion sickness is better than being on top of Mt Evans with a storm at hand. So the next time I'm caught in a thunderstorm, I'm going to spin out of control until I puke. No doesn't that feel better.

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Awesome finish for your wife (and you too)! Congratulations! Sounds like you got down before the helicopter landing blocked traffic.

New Jersey drivers in Colorado mountains = spinning till you puke? :lol: On the other hand, I have gotten stuck in a few giant NJ traffic circles for ten minutes or more....

Postby dpage » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:35 pm

So what's the scoop with the helicopter and ambulance racing up the road ?

Postby smoove » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:53 pm

We probably saw each other. I finished in 3:47. Lovely time up there waiting in the cold and graupel for the shuttle! I overheard people saying a hiker fell on a snowfield and the helicopter actually landed on the road.

PreviousNext