Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:16 pm

I wanted to let anyone interested in the 2012 Mount Evans Ascent know that registration opens on December 15th, and will have a discounted entry fee of $60 until January 1st. The beneficiary of the race is Alpine Rescue, and they will receive a portion of each entry. The race begins at 10,600 ft, and follows the 14.5 mile road to the summit parking lot.

Check out the main site for additional information.

http://www.racingunderground.com/mtevans/index.html

http://www.alpinerescueteam.org/

If anyone is interested in joining me on training runs please let me know.

Dan
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Re: Mt. Evans Ascent Sat, June 16 2012

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey thanks for lettin us know about this.

Dude you missed a rad race in Aspen. Sorry for the short notice.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:38 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Hey thanks for lettin us know about this.

Dude you missed a rad race in Aspen. Sorry for the short notice.

No worries, glad it went well. I'll definitely keep it in mind for next year.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

LOJ

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:38 pm

i'd be interested. i run 8:30 miles in 10k's and 1/2 marathons. I have never tried anything like this though. Sounds freakin intense, but amazing training for summer hiking. There was a bunch of people running DeCaliBro this summer while I was hiking, and they were all training for the Pike's race. I was blown away by them.

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:33 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:i'd be interested. i run 8:30 miles in 10k's and 1/2 marathons. I have never tried anything like this though. Sounds freakin intense, but amazing training for summer hiking. There was a bunch of people running DeCaliBro this summer while I was hiking, and they were all training for the Pike's race. I was blown away by them.

Sign up! It was intimidating last year for me, but get some elevation training runs in and you'll do fine with your running base. Lookout Mountain has some great elevation gain, its around 5 miles from the parking lot to the buffalo bills grave. See this link for another good long distance/elevation run http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90012194

LOJ

Postby LynnKH » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for letting us know about the registration date! Looking forward to it as a nice warm up for Pikes.

By the way, the Incline Club in Manitou Springs has great runs every Sunday to train for Pikes (or Evans or whatever race with a lot of vert). If anybody is ever interested and would like to carpool from Boulder/Denver, it would be awesome to split and save some gas $$ (I don't mind driving though). See http://www.inclineclub.com/.

Postby dpage » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Anyone else register for the race this morning? My wife and I will be there in June for her first race longer than 10K!

Postby big_red_pride » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm

I registered this morning. Let the training begin!

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Just registered! Lets hope for less wind this year

LOJ

Postby robco » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Ok, I'm in too! Sounds tough, but an excuse to train harder is never a terrible thing. (At least 4000 ft over 14 miles doesn't seem that steep...Pikes on the other hand :shock: )

Anybody have recommendations for training? Just run steeper stuff to simulate the altitude?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Way to go Rob! Ya Evans is not really that steep at all (not trying to take away from it). Perhaps the hardest part was the hill coming coming up from summit lake although before the lake is the the flatest part of the race.

The switchbacks towards the top suck too but are cake compared to Pikes' switches at the top.

I have found that training for these mountain runs is not just running hills (although that is a big portion). Work on moving fast over flatland also. Speed work helps tremendously! running 5ks is a great way to train for long distances.

Good luck to everyone and pray for less wind that last year as Derlich said!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby dehrlich101 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:07 pm

Registration is around 40% full which is ahead of last year at this point. Sign up soon!

LOJ

Next