Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Early Festivus Thread - The Airing Of Grievances

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Early Festivus Thread - The Airing Of Grievances

Postby Presto » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:31 am

kimo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm

...and remember kids, only you can prevent narcissism.

Here then, maybe this will help.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

Interesting quiz, kimo ... I'd be curious to know how others scored (mine was a 7).
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby SeracZack » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 am

People that just drive in the left lane with no one in the right lane. "Keep right, except to pass" - Super annoying to me.
People cutting switchbacks on the trail.
People that expect me to drop everything and work on their problem. As if I wasn't already doing something.
Cyclists that do not ride single file on a narrow two lane road. I know you want to converse with your buddy, but riding single file will keep me from clipping you with my side mirror.
My "office" (glorified shed that is usually 55 degrees in the morning when I get there.

I scored a 7 on the narc quiz. Interesting, thought I would have been way worse.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:38 am

Yeesh, I got a 5. I wonder how low scores on this correlates with solo hiking.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:51 am

Jim Davies wrote:Yeesh, I got a 5. I wonder how low scores on this correlates with solo hiking.

Don't know but I scored a 4 and I hike either solo or in small groups (2-4) most of the time. And I rarely write trip reports.

Postby Dave B » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:55 am

I'm a 13, which means I'm an average non-narcissistic.

I can't wait to show my wife that so she has to recognize that it was me who was right all along! :-"
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby planet54 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 am

I scored a 9,usually hike solo and most of the time I am an off the scale introvert. Add that to the mix.
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby madbuck » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I think most bike/car incidents are caused by bikers wearing spandex. There has to be a better clothing option. :-k

I can't speak for motorcycle drivers (bikers) wearing spandex, but while I've commuted plenty in jeans, wearing spandex for 60 or 100 or 150 miles, and especially down long 40-50mph hills, is much more of a functional, practical choice than the oft-debated clothing ("gear") debates here.

So how about riding up/down Mt. Evans in spandex, and then loose floppy clothing, and posting a report? :D

Postby kimo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 am

All, thanks for sharing your results. I scored a 10. (For those who haven't taken the quiz to see the results, a score of 12-15 is considered average, celebrities tend to score closer to 18, and narcissists score 20+) My self-suffiency score was 5, "suggesting you are highly self-sufficient" - that may correlate with my enjoyment of solo hiking. My desire for vanity, authority, and to generally screw people over ranged from 0 to 1. Superiority a 2 (and I'm not proud of that). And though I enjoy posting TRs, my exhibitionism score (the need to be center of attention, and willingness to ensure it) was 0.

MntOwl wrote:Is being narcissistic a bad thing? :?:

There are good narcissists and bad narcissists. And the bad tend to be really bad: Hitler, Himmler, Stalin, Hussein, Kadafi, Vlad the Impaler...the History Channel is filled with stories of them.

Regardless of the results of the quiz, the true clinical diagnosis of narcissism is provided by the American Psychiatric Association, who say, "a patient must exhibit five or more of the following traits in order to be diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder:

- grandiose sense of self-importance
- preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- belief that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- need for excessive admiration
- sense of entitlement
- takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- lacks empathy
- often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Postby 12ersRule » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:34 am

I scored a 12, but only a 3 in self-sufficiency. As someone who chases stuff like UN8995, being self-sufficient is probably a required asset.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:43 am

Red light cameras.

Where are the kids with the paint ball guns when you need them? :?:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby DaveSwink » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 am

[quote="Moboy56"]People on the trail listening to their ipod so they'll have an excuse for not hearing, or rendering a greeting, i.e. 'Hi, Hello'. come on people, can you not go for a few minutes without that gadget?[/quote]

People who don't get it that the MP3 player is there to shut them out. #-o

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:55 am

I got a 7

3 on Authority
4 on Self-sufficiency
0 on all other categories

Personally, I don't really want to be in a position of authority over others, but I had to answer the quiz questions away from wanting to be under someone else's authority. I don't like being bossed around but I really have no interest in being someone else's boss either. I think that having a 3 on authority and a zero on superiority is probably accurate, I like to be in charge of myself, but I don't think I am better than anyone else and don't want to be in charge of others. I am the best person to handle my own life and my own affairs, but I don't have any interest in handling anyone else's life. I am generous though, and if people seek out my help I am happy to share it.

I do consider myself to be self-sufficient, I live alone and pretty much do everything for myself and if I can't do something, I just ignore it and don't seek help. I hike solo most of the time, ski solo in resorts almost exclusively, like to be responsible for my own work projects with little oversight and little help. I rarely seek out professional help for anything, I like to take care of my own home maintenance, don't go to the doctor, etc. If something breaks I will try and fix it and only hire someone else to fix it as a last resort.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

PreviousNext