Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Early Festivus Thread - The Airing Of Grievances

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Early Festivus Thread - The Airing Of Grievances

Postby kimo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 pm

...and remember kids, only you can prevent narcissism.

Postby jpfeif001 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:54 pm

kimo wrote:...and remember kids, only you can prevent narcissism.

And knowing is half the battle... :idea:
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Postby kimo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 pm

jpfeif001 wrote:

Here then, maybe this will help.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

Postby fleetmack » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:16 am

Bean wrote:
fleetmack wrote:Along these lines, I can't stand all those outlaw motorists. Failing to come to complete stops at stop signs, not stopping at the stop bars at lights, speeding, failing to signal. Have you spent much time riding around a city? Try it for a year and tell me it's practical to come to a complete stop at every sign. The law is broken.

By that rational, it's not practical for cars to stop at every sign either. Same laws exist for both modes of transportation. I'm not disagreeing that the law may be flawed, but I am saying that I see why drivers don't respect cyclists because we don't seem, as a majority, to share the road laws, we just want to share the actual road.

I've lived in downtown Denver (Capital Hill) for 4 years, I ride my bike nearly everywhere, all year round - rain, snow, or shine - except to and from work (to Golden), when I go to the mountains, or when I go to the airport. I agree, it does suck and several of the lights/signs are ridiculous. Riding up 16th street (a bike lane road) is absurd, I have to stop at washington st. for like 2 minutes every time, and I hit almost every red light en route to downtown from my place. Some lights will literally never change to green if only a bike is waiting after 10pm or so ... they need the weight of a car to trigger it. I have called the city about numerous intersections like this asking them what to do (including Colfax/Downing intersection, and 17th/Esplanade intersections). They really don't do much, but I have gotten calls back telling me, "if you dismount and hit the walk button, the light won't turn green but the walk signal will flash, so you can walk your bike across the crosswalk." I get peeved and tempted to ride through the lights, but I obey. I really, really want everywhere to be safe for cyclists, and I understand the anti-bike people who throw beer bottles and yell obscenities at me when I'm doing nothing wrong because I share their irritated feelings towards other cyclists when I see them running red lights and such. Running red lights gives those cyclists who obey the law a bad name. I want respect as a cyclist, but I find it hard to disagree with the angry-anti-cycle people who hate us because most of their points are valid; a strong majority of cyclists blatantly disobey traffic laws, so they don't deserve respect. I wish this wasn't so.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 am

silverlynx wrote:
gdthomas wrote:The "IMO" disclaimer has long since run its course.

AGREED!!!! So has the "No offense" disclaimer.

Ahh, come on guys, those are great little additions to any quasi-civilized internet conversation!

"IMO" equals:

1) The poster is SURE they're right, but doesn't want to sound too bold.
2) They have no idea what they're talking about, but wanted to admit that without saying so.
3) Or, in some instances, they may actually just have an opinion.

"No offense" is even better, and usually equals:

1) The poster wants to offend you, but wants to do so politely.
2) The poster wants to offend someone else who has the same opinion as you do, but doesn't want to offend you in the process.
3) The poster thinks you're stupid, but figured it would be better to break the ice with some "pillow talk".
4) The poster is just plain offensive.

Anyway, in my opinion the most annoying thing is bragging for the sake of trumping up your own ego for a bunch of e-strangers. That's common on internet forums, no offense to anyone I've offended ;)

Actually, most of the members here are actually pretty civilized, and some of the guys on here really do have some serious bragging rights! But, we all know how the internet is as a whole...

Postby Moboy56 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:28 am

People on the trail listening to their ipod so they'll have an excuse for not hearing, or rendering a greeting, i.e. 'Hi, Hello'. come on people, can you not go for a few minutes without that gadget?
“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”
Jack London

Postby Bean » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:30 am

fleetmack wrote: a strong majority of cyclists blatantly disobey traffic laws, so they don't deserve respect. I wish this wasn't so.

Like I said, the law is broken, and none of local bike advocacy groups care to do anything about it. I can't believe you wait at improperly adjusted red lights, it's malfunctioning and should be disregarded. When I get honked at, yelled at, nearly run down, then my life verbally threatened while I'm following the letter of the 100%, it's not "understandable," it's deserving of a U-lock beating.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 am

I think most bike/car incidents are caused by bikers wearing spandex. There has to be a better clothing option. :-k
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby CO Native » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 am

Matt wrote:Also, what's with people whose whole TR is hosted somewhere else, especially on their own site? I never read reports that consist of a couple pics and a link elsewhere.

I guess I just have plenty of grievances with narcissists.

Narcissists who think I care if they read my trip report or not because I didn't do mine the way they want me to. :D
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:25 am

Moboy56 wrote:People on the trail listening to their ipod so they'll have an excuse for not hearing, or rendering a greeting, i.e. 'Hi, Hello'. come on people, can you not go for a few minutes without that gadget?

How about people who get offended if somebody else isn't "doing it right". :roll:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Jesse M » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 am

kimo wrote:
jpfeif001 wrote:

Here then, maybe this will help.

http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

Ouch, I am like way narcissistic according to this test, scored a 27. :shock: :( #-o
Sorry to put you all through my narcissistic babblings, I won't do it again, often. :-#

Is being narcissistic a bad thing? :?:

Owl- :-({|=
"What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy." George Mallory

lordhelmut wrote:You are, in fact, one of the gatekeeper of the Gapers.

Postby fleetmack » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:42 am

Bean wrote: I can't believe you wait at improperly adjusted red lights

My brain sometimes malfunctions, also :) I'm extremely stubborn
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

PreviousNext