Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2011 Goals outdoors

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 2011 Goals outdoors

Postby oldschool » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Doing the Grand Traverse from Crested Butte to Aspen in March........going back to do the Cap to Snowmass travesre in one continuous push..and a secret project! Just have fun and push myself.......
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby Inky6900 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I hope my dog, Sawyer, and I can finish the 14ers this summer. We started climbing together and learning together from the ground up 10 years ago. If we can finish, it would make us the second dog/man team in history to climb them all. We have only two left - Mt. Wilson & Capitol.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Postby oldschool » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I have 5 dogs, some being "retired" from 14er's...I i wish you much luck and success
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin

Postby mountainjam » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:05 pm

I hope to finish the 14ers this year and start on a few Centennial 13ers. I also hope to get my wife and some of my friends who have only done Front Range 14ers to do some backpacking and hiking trips in the Sangres, San Juans or Elks. Trips that I would love to take in 2011 but may not have time for: 4 Pass Loop, Gannett, Orizaba, any state highpoint or California 14er.
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews

Postby EZSide » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Another flatlander New Year's list.

7. Keep workouts focused on outdoor activities especially during the winter months in all weather (18 deg. and windy right now - ideal).
6. One or two overnight winter outings. Would like to repeat the Lake / Big carp loop in the Porcupine Mnts (MI) as a snowshoe outing.
5. Continued gear and skill acquisition as money and time permits.
4. An introduction to non-groomer skiing.
3. Not to overlook my fishing / hunting traditions while getting more active with hiking / backpacking. Specifically - the annual smallmouth bass outing on the Flambeau river (WI) in late summer with my sons (which was 'traded' for western trout fishing last year). The bass outing must shift from spinning to fly fishing one of these years - perhaps this year?
2. Have come to enjoy running, and may try a local 5K.

Finally, related to Mountaineering specifically -
1. Looking at a spring outing in CO. The list of options is evolving, and the final selection will depend on how much of 7-6-5 above gets done as anything else. Likely to - for us - stretch a little bit. Looking forward to finally using "Climb" in my trip report without being mistaken!

All of the above while including as much of my family as possible.

May all be Blessed this New Year!
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Postby shredthegnar10 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm

1. Finish the 14ers before college graduation (shouldn't be much of a problem since I have 2 left... Pikes and Missouri)
2. Lead 5.7 trad
3. Snowboard some more 14ers

Keeping the list short right now since I don't know where I'll be working this summer... but I'm sure it will get added to.
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby llamaman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:18 pm

I've been thinking about this and I'm not really sure. First and foremost, have as much fun outside (or more) as I did last year. Generally, I'd like to get around the state more and explore more areas--e.g., I've never been to the Maroon Bells area and I've been to the San Juans and Sangres only once each. And I'd like to try to meet up with more new people, whether skiing, hiking, biking or whatever.

The specifics I have planned right now:

1. Finish the 13ers in RMNP
2. Lead a major RMNP traverse with CMC (got a route in mind but still planning)
3. Compete in an endurance mountain bike race or two, especially the Breck-68 or maybe the Breck-100 if I can put in that kind of training.
4. Oh, this is a 14ers website: Longs, Uncompahgre (don't know why, but that one really interests me), Belford/Oxford, maybe a one or two others if I find the time.
5. And in the near term, learn to ski better.

But I often vary my goals as things go along so we'll see.

Postby d_baker » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Maybe finish the Top 100 (12 to go; 10 of them 13ers, 2 of them 14ers).
If I can get in to hike/climb Pigeon, Turret, & Jagged, I should be able to complete that goal, and I'll finish on Longs.
Help my friend Carson finish his bicentennials (5 to go!).
Lead a few CMC trips, probably a couple of 14ers, and some 13ers.

Most of all, get out in the mountains and come home safely!

Cheers everyone, and have a great new 2011!

Darin

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Somehow I managed to complete none of my 2010 goals, so I guess 2011 will start there:

Finish my last 2 Centennials (Jagged and Rio Grande Pyramid)
Finish my last 2 of the Sawatch Highest 50 (PT 13626 and Sayres BM)
Finish my last 3 of the Lake County P300s (PT 12306, "K49" and PT 13202)

Aside from that, 2011 should also get me pretty close to finishing the Summit and Eagle County P300s. I have 17 and 25 remaining respectively with 2 that share the county boundary, so 40 total peaks.

I also hope to get to 1/2 on the 13ers. I need to climb 42 more to get there, (sitting at 250/584 right now) and many of my other goals include 13ers. Good chance of getting to 300 total as well, but I'd be happy with halfway.

Should be a good year for milestones for me after a 2010 with relatively few of them.

PS - del_sur, yes, you could get me up Dallas again! I also need Jagged, keep me in the loop for when you and Kevin are planning on that one. :D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby KeithK » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:58 pm

NONE! Ahhh, it feels good to say that after the last 4 years...

Ultimately, arbitrary hikes and climbs that seem fun, don't require entire weekends, and are easy and not dangerous. I suppose there are a few 13ers around that I'd like to visit, in addition to some 14er repeats. I just want to enjoy the absolute lack of agenda I have right now.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby livetothemax96 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Personally, my list might be a bit OTP, but here it is anyway...
Break 20 14ers (have 4 down...)
Through and through the Colorado Trail
Summit Mont Blanc
Kayak from Buena Vista through the numbers on the Arkansas
Place decently at Monarchs annual Kayaks on Snow boatercross

This will be a long but fun year :wink:
whats life unless you live it?

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:00 pm

livetothemax96 wrote:Through and through the Colorado Trail

One of my goals for the year was to run the CT end-to-end...but I read where section 1 is closed all year. Just wanted to give you a head's up on that.

Here's some info:
http://www.coloradotrail.org/waterton_closure.html

PreviousNext