Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13yo to climb Everest?!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 13yo to climb Everest?!

Postby paul109876 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 am

My only concern was the mental maturity of a person of this age. Before someone tackles a challenge like this you need to have a full understanding of "death" the ultimate price. On Everest death is a possibility, and you try to avoid it. There is evidence of it there from the past and you may see it occur.

I have a hard time believing that a child of this age "actually" understands that. He may be able to spit the words back at you that you want to hear like a parrot but does he understand?
A person who risks nothing, learns nothing, has nothing and becomes nothing.

Don't let your actions contradict your desires

Crap on your shoes eventually wears off. Rough patches are only temporary.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Adults often have spouses and children waiting at home for them. At least a 13-year-old wouldn't have that as an issue.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby cbauer10 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Adults often have spouses and children waiting at home for them. At least a 13-year-old wouldn't have that as an issue.

Jim,

That is a pretty big assumption this day in age. :wink:

Postby Shawnee Bob » Tue May 25, 2010 9:10 pm

I do hear a memoir is in the works. Saw that on the kid's web site (in the form of a blog post) a couple of weeks back. So there was/is a profit motive here. A lot easier to sell books and such when you can have a tag on it about the subject being the youngest to ever scale Everest. That said, it sounds like he was really strong on the mountain and his team got up that bad boy without too much trouble.

When he finishes the 7 with Vinson Massif, I'm sure other goals will be out there. US high points, maybe he'll even take a stab at the 14 8,000ers. And that would be something. K2 by 15? Hmmm...
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/

Postby summit2sea » Wed May 26, 2010 10:34 am

A memoir for a 13 year old...Now I'll be the first to admit that he's done a lot more living than most 40 year olds let alone a 13 year old but the insight might be a little thin. "I climbed Kili and it was cool, and there was a cute girl at the airport that was cool too". I guess that's what ghost writers are for.

Postby Girlslovesnow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Although this is slightly off topic...
A prime example of how the "youngest" titles can go wrong
http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/06/teenage_girl_attempting_solo_s.html
"I wish people would quit telling me I can do anything I want. I never thought I couldn't"

Postby DeTour » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Girlslovesnow wrote:Although this is slightly off topic...
http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/06/teenage_girl_attempting_solo_s.html

Yeah, I immediately thought of Jordan Romero when I read this. Apples and oranges, I know, but there's a definite relationship in the sense of a youngster going into a potentially dangerous situation. Hopefully it turns out all right for the girl.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby Scott P » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Although this is slightly off topic...

Apples and oranges, I know, but there's a definite relationship in the sense of a youngster going into a potentially dangerous situation.

Food for thought:

Off topic too, but I joined the military on my 17th birthday, which is about the same age as this girl. If someone is old enough to go to war*, are they old enough to sail around the world? What age is appropiate for such a feat and whom is to decide?

*Rules were modified only a couple years ago.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Rich H » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:33 am

Scott P wrote:Off topic too, but I joined the military on my 17th birthday, which is about the same age as this girl. If someone is old enough to go to war*, are they old enough to sail around the world? What age is appropiate for such a feat and whom is to decide?

I too joined the military (Marines) when I was 17 - old enough to kill but not quite old enough to drink. :? I followed Jessica Watson's Blog as she sailed around the world this last winter. She had several knockdowns-rollovers but managed to survive. I was impressed by the way she handled herself despite all that went wrong on her trip. I think much of what a person can or can't do depends on that specific person. Jess Watson was/is one very tough young lady.

Postby cbauer10 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:44 am

Looks like she is okay for now.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2010/06/sailor-abby-sunderland-is-alive-and-unharmed.html

She was on the 20/20 this past Sunday with Jordan about youngsters doing these types of things.

Previous